The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GSX_TC's Galant VR4 Build Thread #550/2000 (Samara)

GSX_TC

Quoting bazeng:
Good luck with the GTR mate.

Good cars when they are taken care of. I've seem alot in shops though (more than Mitsubishi's).
They can be somewhat problematic especially with the oiling system (I've seen quite a few go into the shop for full rebuilds due to oil starvation).

Keep in mind that they have poor oil return from the head to the sump.
There are a few mods you can do but they are not fail safe.

Be sure to keep us up to date with how you go.

If you want to go all out on the GTR, do what the big boys do and buy a RB30 block with an RB26 head. 3.0 Litres of mayhem.

Here is a helpful link:

RB26 oil problem

Thank you! Yeah I know all about that problem, most likely gonna source out an N1 block and build it later, but for now I'm gonna enjoy the car as a running and driving stock GTR with cold a/c for a while before I go crazy.

Quoting slugsgomoo:
Don't know how long you're planning on driving... did you make it back, or did you get arrested /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Drove 15ish hours non stop didn't get stopped once.

prove_it

My best advice: Just drive the damn thing. Mild mods, run 12's and show it off!

GSX_TC

Went ahead and finally got around to polishing up the billet intake manifold for the VR4.

Before:

After:

GSX_TC

Thanks, I just did it by hand.

92_talon_awd

Looks damn sexy Mike.

strokin4dr

Very nice piece for sure.

prove_it

Now, it looks good, but how will it perform?

GSX_TC

Thanks guys. Hoping to see how it'll perform here soon.

mitsuturbo

Quoting GSX_TC:

Quoting slugsgomoo:
Don't know how long you're planning on driving... did you make it back, or did you get arrested /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Drove 15ish hours non stop didn't get stopped once.

Wow. That thing must have one hell of a giant fuel tank to be able to drive 15 hours non stop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

prove_it

dude, Hypermiling.....

How many bottles of pee did you fill up?

GSX_TC

Got a Shep stage 3 for the VR4! This will be going on later when more parts come.

GSX_TC

Well the time for me getting my dream wheels (Work Meisters) on Samara is getting closer. Since the new wheels will be in the EVO X spec in order to later run EVO X brembos I'll need that size and offset. Only problem is that the car will need to be raised a bit and a little camber to fit the wider tires. So Mike and Tim from FIST Racing just installed the Coilovers that I had been sitting on for nearly 2 years Lol. Now I have go pick up the wheels this Sunday in Austin, then buy the tires and have them mounted. Then straight to get the Coilovers aligned and setup properly.

Here are some pics of the Coilovers installed. Besides the car needing an alignment the ride quality has improved a great deal now. It takes bumps a lot better now as well.

GSTwithPSI

I'd be weary of ordering Work wheels simply because they match the specs of the Evo wheels. The biggest issue with the Work wheels (and most wheels for that matter) in regard to brake clearance, is the spoke design. I think you'll find the Work wheels just aren't big brake friendly. With spacers, I'm at a +20 up front to clear 3KGT brakes, which is a ridiculously low offset for our cars. I was just having a discussion with someone on DSMtuners the other day, who said the the Evo Brembos require just as much clearance as the 3KGT calipers. If that's true, it means you'll need a sh*t ton of clearance up front. In addition, I wouldn't go with 18s (I'm assuming you mean you're matching the specs of the Evo 10 wheels you fitted earlier in this thread). The larger diameter wheel will just give you more fender clearance issues, and I doubt it will yield you much more brake clearance.

If you have the option to specify the size and specs of the Works you're getting, I'd triple measure before I paid for anything. I'm not sure simply matching the specs of the Evo wheels will give you the best fitment, or even fit at all for that matter. You're probably going to be in the +25 to +20 range to clear those brakes on Work Meisters. You're also going to be kicking yourself in the ass if you buy wheels, and then need to install spacers afterwards.

Last edited:

CutlassJim

He speaks the truth. I lucked out and my 17x8 +35 Wedsports clear my 3KGT calipers with no spacers.

bobdole

If Mike ordered them for the Evo X fitment, they will be "big caliper" clearance. They will clear with out spacers. Mike what specs did you order/get?

bobdole

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
I'd be weary of ordering Work wheels simply because they match the specs of the Evo wheels. The biggest issue with the Work wheels (and most wheels for that matter) in regard to brake clearance, is the spoke design. I think you'll find the Work wheels just aren't big brake friendly. With spacers, I'm at a +20 up front to clear 3KGT brakes, which is a ridiculously low offset for our cars. I was just having a discussion with someone on DSMtuners the other day, who said the the Evo Brembos require just as much clearance as the 3KGT calipers. If that's true, it means you'll need a sh*t ton of clearance up front. In addition, I wouldn't go with 18s (I'm assuming you mean you're matching the specs of the Evo 10 wheels you fitted earlier in this thread). The larger diameter wheel will just give you more fender clearance issues, and I doubt it will yield you much more brake clearance.

If you have the option to specify the size and specs of the Works you're getting, I'd triple measure before I paid for anything. I'm not sure simply matching the specs of the Evo wheels will give you the best fitment, or even fit at all for that matter. You're probably going to be in the +25 to +20 range to clear those brakes on Work Meisters. You're also going to be kicking yourself in the ass if you buy wheels, and then need to install spacers afterwards.

Since your Work wheels are 4lug. They are most likely "standard clearance" which is why they don't clear. I am in the same boat with my 4lug Work wheel I have on order. They are "standard clearance" so I will have to run a 10mm spacer. If I had 5 lug I could order in "big caliper" which I know would have cleared easy as I sent Work a template of the brakes. Work wheels are BBK friendly if you know what you are doing and order the correct spec.

GSTwithPSI

I didn't have the luxury of getting the "big caliper" Work wheels, as I picked mine up used. Is that even an option offered for the 4 lug Work wheel? I got a great deal on my set of Work wheels, which is why I even picked them up. Finding a quality wheel in 4.114 with decent specs is damn near impossible. Even the BBS LMs I had needed to be spaced out to clear the 3KGT calipers.

The Evo wheels (Evo 8 and 10) clear big brakes so well because of the flat spoke design. The concave spoke design of the Work wheels (Meisters specifically) doesn't play well with the large calipers. I'd be interested to see what the difference in spoke design is for these "big caliper" Work wheels. The spoke design would have to be modified, otherwise decreasing the offset is the only other option to increase clearance.

Last edited:

CutlassJim

I have Enkei NT03+M's on my Lexus and the difference in spoke design is crazy on the fronts to fit over the Supra calipers. The rear wheels wont even bolt on the front even though they are an inch wider.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned