The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Getting angry with car stalling

deez

Update....it stalled with the lights on, but without lights its been good. Will check to see if more timing will help next week when I have time. Keep the suggestions coming if you have any

1badgvr4

Before you revert to more timing try this... A friend was having the same problem with his car and he just upgraded to a 160amp saturn alt and the problem is gone and he says the car feels 100% stronger. The charging system on these cars is pretty bad.

deez

And that had no negative side affects? I would think the electronics in these cars are pretty specific to the amperage and such. And it died on me twice on my drive home tonight. For sale?

Remember, amperage in these setups is based on draw, not supply. It just gives it more supply so that it doesn't run short when all accessories are on.

deez

Gotcha. So do you know what alternator (make, model, year) that they are swapping?

deez

Today I finally got my palm to sync with my laptop so I could use it to check out the fuel trims and such, and when I did, I was surprised with what I saw. I have a stored code of 22 which is the crankshaft position sensor. And all of my fuel trims are at 139, and before they were right around 100. Can the crankshaft position sensor be causing all this grief??

deez

Holy crap! That sensor from RockAuto is $500 and change!! Can someone verify that this could cause the issue before I spend that kind of money? And I am reading on dsm forums about this. Correct me if I am wrong, but 1G's and our cars have only the CAS, nothing on the crank by the timing belt itself, right?

Last edited:

1990ggsxnj

Correct, 2g DSM's have the crank sensor. Not us. I'm sure there are plenty of parting cars out there from which to get one from. I would send a pm to autobahntom and see if he has one in the event that you cannot find one locally.

Last edited:

I would try resetting the code and see if it comes back. It may have been a one-time fluke.
If your fueltrims are all at 139, that means you are 10% too lean. Have you checked your base fuel pressure lately?

deez

Base fuel pressure is 37 psi

Do you know the part number on the injector? What color are they? As I said, you are missing a TON of fuel somewhere to have fueltrims at 139%.
Your Global Fuel is set for 724cc @ the stock 37psi base fuel pressure. I would try raising the fuel pressure a few psi, the gauge is probably off. Underhood gauges are VERY unreliable, especially if you try to read them when hot.

deez

supposedly the are Denso 720's. I raised the pressure to 39psi and reset the computer to get rid of the code 22. It still lean as hell at idle especially, at 160ish on the ft02. I added from 3% to 9% on the safc, and it had no affect on the numbers which I though was odd.

It may take some time for you to see the trims start to change on the logger.

Quoting deez:
supposedly the are Denso 720's.

What color are they? Can you read any numbers off the tops of them? As lean as you are, I'm thinking you may need more like 43psi to get the HIGH TRIM to 100.

deez

5500-0830 and the tops are light blue. At least thats what I think I read /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yep, 195500-0830 is a Denso 720cc, so you are OK there. I have to assume your pressure gauge is way off. As I said, try 43psi.

deez

the gauge is a marshall liquid filled, but I will give that a try. What I don't understand is with the current settings, trims were dialed. How could they change so drastically?

KGVR4

I think my galant has the exact same symptoms.

Deez: Do your dash lights, interior lights, headlights flicker/get dim at all? Mine seems to have some of the symptoms your car is having but my lights flicker/get dim also.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned