The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Getting angry with car stalling

deez

I just checked the battery, and with the car idling its 14.01V, with lights on 13.98V, and with lights and AC running 12.67V. Hows that?

deez

Question in reference to setting timing....which plug do I ground to set the timing? Its it the one by the intake in front of the brake fluid reservoir with the yellow wire or the one above the clutch reservoir on the firewall?

Its the big oval connector, usually with a dust cover you have to remove, and one small pin inside you can clip to. You do NOT want the female spade terminal, which is the +12 volts to the fuelpump!

deez

Okay, I checked the ISC setting and its at .50V, so thats good. Then I set the timing at 7 or 8 degrees, drove it for a bit, and it seems better. So do I need a different chip so I don't get knock now?

Yes, if a few extra degrees on the lower maps helps, I can try to design a chip like that for you.

deez

Okay, so the car is running better with more timing, and so far no knock which is odd because it used to have knock. But it still has stalled 3 times since doing that work yesterday, which is much better. One thing I noticed when setting the timing was with the timing plug grounded, the idle was a little rough. Keep in mind the car has 264/272 HKS cams. It would idle smooth for a few seconds, stumble, idle smooth, stumble, etc. Now is that something I should use the BISS to smooth out, or is that just cause of the cams?

1990ggsxnj

This is gunna sound stupid...but are you SURE you have no boost leaks? Even something that seems tight can cause a leak at vacuum. Without a test, there's no way of knowing.

Normally more advance would probably create more knock in this situation, but double checking things never hurt. Hope you get this fixed, man.

GVR-4

I had the same problem and I deleted the FIAV and coolant lines and checked the throttle closed switch and the car idles much better now and hasn't stalled yet.

johnnyRacer

Just did a log; I'm having similar issues. My idle is varying from 700-1100. My timing is irratic at -2deg to +5deg this is at idle. Finally, at idle I'm showing tps 12.1%. Tomorrow I physically check the tps, throttle plate, and timing.

deez

So I am back to trying to solve this issue, and I replaced the ISC, reset the ECU, drove it for a couple days, and no help. Tomorrow I will reset the BISS. If that doesn't work, someone can buy a very clean white VR4 that is tastefully modded.

atc250r

Staff member
I looked through this thread and didn't see you having done the base idle setting as per the VFAQ.

John

deez

John, if you refer to the BISS screw, thats tomorrow. If not, fill me in

atc250r

Staff member
The BISS is part of it but there's more to it than just turning the screw until you are happy with it. Go to www.vfaq.com and follow the directions there for setting base idle.

John

Quoting deez:
Okay, so the car is running better with more timing, and so far no knock which is odd because it used to have knock.

What base timing are you running now, as checked with a timing light? Have you tried more, several degrees more temporarily without getting into a lot of boost? I still think that more timing on the lower rpm's on the lower maps might be the answer.

deez

If I remember right, I was able to get 7*or 8* out of the timing with no knock issues.

Try even more, to see if it helps with the stalling. I can make new timing maps that only have more on the lower maps if that helps the problem.

deez

So I grounded things out and reset the BISS, and sure enough, it was off by about a turn and a half. Thats odd, because I have set that before. One thing that seemed odd was how easy the biss turned. My thought is that the o-ring is shot and not giving resistance to the screw turning. I will replace that soon. Anyhow, with that and pulling a bit of fuel out of idle, not one stall or attempt to stall on my drive. I hope this means its fixed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

atc250r

Staff member
If you want a quick, cheap, and easy way to "fix" the loose BISS just put a dap of silicone on top of it once you're sure you've got it dialed in.

John

deez

good call, that way I don't have to mess with the adjustment

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned