The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

gearbox damage/28 psi,sticky tyres and left foot braking

vrfour_nz

I am running a 4 spider centre diff and the ralliart viscous at the moment.If you run a aftermarket plate lsd centre diff you wouldn't need the viscous to work,same as a locked centre diff.I have a friend with Prodrive Legacy rallycar and he had his gearbox out..interesting set up..has a oil gallery inside the centre diff that applies pressure to the plates the more throttle it has..sort of a mechanical version of what they do with the late model electronic centre diffs.Would be great to convert a late model electronic diff out of a evo 8/9 into a VR4 box..you can get a pectal ecu to write a programs with maps as you would on a engine ecu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifQuoting bazeng:
I've made about 40 dyno runs in 4th gear with 450hp - 550hp pulls without any signs of the box giving up (touch wood!!!!).

vrfour_nz, so are you running that viscous lsd and the centre lsd together?

I'm wondering why we dont lock the viscous when running a clutch type lsd?...
Or what if we ran a locked centre with a viscous?

vrfour_nz

you should have a look..its always interesting to see what has happenedQuoting mrnvit:
im interested to know whats left of my 4th gear in the drag car, there were lots of bits in the end of the case when i took it off, but i couldnt be bothered taking it down further to look.

vrfour_nz

Thats true..I have seen a tilton gearbox pump fail from running the redline green shock oil,as seen in Bimmushi's pic above.Was just way too thickQuoting Dialcaliper:

If you decide to run an oil cooler for the transmission, you need to be running thinner gear oil or ATF, and the cooler also needs a pump

vrfour_nz

I have a cusco catalogue I brought back from Tokyo auto salon somewhere..I will look for it in the weekend so I can hand out the part numbers for you.I think it is worth getting them straight from cusco in japan instead of a agent,was quite a good service.Quoting bazeng:
so vrfour_nz, are you running the ralliart VCU and the Cusco centre LSD together?
or is that the front LSD?

Where would I go about getting one of the centre LSD's by Cusco?

bazeng

Bim,
490whp = 365wkw...
That is alot of power!!

What caused it to break in your opinion?
I'm aroud 340 wkw's / 455whp's also on a dyno dynamics.. The gearbox felt extremely good for that power output..
No signs of weakness.

Your fluid is blue, so it must be redline shockproof?? or something similar?

I run Diaqueen OEM mitsu evo 8 oil with redline LSD additive...I wonder if that has anything to do with longevity of these box's....

What state was the car in when you broke the box? ie, tracking? drags? street?
Are you planning to get another box? or go Dogbox?
The exchange rate is perfect for that right now...

vrfour_nz,
ouch!.. are you planning to clean it up and reuse it?

Last edited:

vrfour_nz

no,didn't reuse any of the parts,ended up rebuilding a 92 VR4 RS WQYK gearbox for the car,and just rebuilt a Lancer Evo 2 RS WPFE as a spare /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14bCrazy

I have a friend that makes big power with his GTI. He used to blow teeth off of his gears all the time. He replaced them with stright cut gears and the problem went away.

Bimmubishi

Yeah Bazeng, we actually made more but then dialed back the boost a bit for the track. For hillclimbs I'm running about 20 more whp. The fluid is Redline lightweight shockproof. I run heavy shockproof in the transfer case.

I had about 400whp all year last year and the box was fine. This extra bit seems to be a challenge.

2848024421_b7f2894559.jpg

It would be close to 600whp on a dynojet.

Anyway I'm still trying to figure out what to do about this. There is a gearset manufacturer in South America that makes a straight cut syncronized box that I've heard is good. Station Arnside in UK also has some good gearsets. They're all very expensive though. 5k or so.

A friend on the Lancer Register is in the same spot we are, two broken factory Evo II boxes this year and one broken Magnus Dogmission.

Alex

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

Alex Don't you still have the ralliart dog box? Why not use that?

Damn all this is making me nervous about my car.....I am thinking about putting together a tranny cooler like CJ did.

3rdstrikedsm

Prolly wise^^^ I just gave up and understand that the trans WILL fal after 400whp It is not a matter of if but when 4th will go. I am more than likely going to use the tranny cooler if I can't source a dog box even then I feel like that is a bandaid but any th help, right?

Pretty much. I think my trans came from a car used in circuit racing in japan, it has what feels like a cusco center diff. The car has a very noticeable rear bias to it. It's a E2 trans, so maybe it's time for me to pay a visit to jack's trans.

vrfour_nz

Hi Alex,have you considered a PPG gearset? David[quote name=Bimmubishi}
Anyway I'm still trying to figure out what to do about this. There is a gearset manufacturer in South America that makes a straight cut syncronized box that I've heard is good. Station Arnside in UK also has some good gearsets. They're all very expensive though. 5k or so.

A friend on the Lancer Register is in the same spot we are, two broken factory Evo II boxes this year and one broken Magnus Dogmission.

Alex

bazeng

PPG would be my choice if I had to upgrade my box...

As for transmission oil coolers, VDO do a nice electric pump.
Any pictures of the setup you guys use?

Bimmubishi

3rdstrike-

I have two Ralliart boxes but they are not mine. I'm trying to sell one of the two so I can buy the second. They are for sale if anyone is interested. $4500 each. That's a screaming deal. They are freshly built and cost $15k new.

Bazeng- I would love a set of PPG. They're expensive but perfect. ($ is the hangup on that)

Jon- the trans cooler won't do anything to solve this. This happened on my outlap. The trans temp was probably 150F or less. The last one broke at a hillclimb, like an autox there's not much opportunity to warm the fluid.

Al

Polish

And Pwned, nice job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Time for upgrades?

blacksheep

Quoting Jonvr4:
Damn all this is making me nervous about my car.....I am thinking about putting together a tranny cooler like CJ did.

links?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned