The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gear Ratios - Doing 65mph at 3k

Taller rim/tire combo would do the same thing right? Just make sure to get some relatively lightweight wheels/

alansupra94

^^^^^^

There is a limit though. Right now, I am pushing the limit with a 225/45/18 tire. That only makes a small difference really. I plan on sourcing GSX stuff soon and building another transmission.

turbowop

On 503 I run a 205/70 which is much taller than stock and I still think the engine is too high in the revs on the freeway. The taller 5th gear is a much better way to get the revs down for freeway cruising.

Right now I an learning about this stuff in my automotive classes. Interesting stuff, mostly witchcraft imo. I too am looking for a way to cruise at 75mph at a lower rpm and so far it sounds like the EVO III 5th gear is a good option. What ratio would need to be used on the ring/pinion gears with taller gears? Where can I get the ring/pinion gears for the taller gears? Junkyards i'm guessing unless Jacks or TRE sells them but I can't find anything on their site. Right now at highway speeds I'm pushing 3800rpm going 75mph. I also have the 4-bolt rear diff but I am considering options on a LSD if possible.

I forgot to ask about the front diff ratio: Will that need to be matched up with the rear gear ratio as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

alansupra94

Yup your front and rear have to match. Thus it makes things easier to just get a taller 5th which I am looking into.

DR1665

So, just to be clear, leave the front and rear diffs the fcuk alone, drop in the Evo III 5th, call it a day.

I easily make 6+ trips to SoCal a year in the Galant. Got one coming up this weekend, actually. The speed limit across the open desert is 75mph, meaning I can do 80-85mph if I don't mind screaming down the road at 4000rpm and getting very low 20mpgs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

On a semi-related note, in my 2GNT Talon, I could top off the tank as I left Phoenix, do 85-115mph across the desert with the AC running, spend a little time hating life in SoCal traffic (which always sucks), then drive back, including back and forth to work two days, on the same tank of gas.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

alansupra94

NEVAR! I would like to get some GGSX front and rear diffs! Hopefully in time I guess :/

I will be looking into a EVOIII gear set after I blow up this transmission

thecman02

Quoting 110of2k:
Quoting thecman02:
faster or quicker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ?

I got the longer 5th gear. It makes a much bigger difference then .25mpg at least in my case it did. I've gained 3-4mpg highway. 80mph is around 3500 which is much better then 4000rpm for 80. 70mph is roughly 3k.

What did you use for your taller 5th gear? I would LOVE travel 80mph @ 3500rpm along with netting another 3-4mpg. I commute 100mi a day usually traveling between 75-85mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

thanks in advance!
Anthony

I had TRE put in the taller 5th gear. I forget which trans has the taller gear. He used to have a 25% taller gear, but it was actually a gear he made. It was straight cut and loud. He didn't sell enough to justify the effort it took.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned