The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Garrett turbo failure

Tommyd

So 9 months after 610 went up on jack stands and everything got torn apart, it finally hit the road for some initial tuning. After getting a nice 6bolt build and headwork done and a fresh rebuilt Garret 3071r it was time to see what it felt like. Well Friday I go to do some WOT runs. Well suffice to say after the 3rd run the bearings on the exhaust side of the chra housing disappeared in a violent manner. Got everything taken apart and no discolouration, no coking, not even any in and out shaft play still. The only thing I can think of is bad rebuild or bad parts. Either way, a new snail is on its way here.

Last edited by a moderator:

jnava

Staff member
It still says private. Can't see said video.

jnava

Staff member
WOW. So a new one is on the way?

Tommyd

Yep. I'll get pictures of the chra torn apart. Thank you Garrett Exchange Program

slugsgomoo

Garrett says that rebuilding their BB CHRA's isn't recommended because the likelihood of future failures is too high. I didn't know they even sold the parts to rebuild them?

jnava

Staff member
I thought from their literature, it's a cartridge replacement. If there is bearing failure, the entire cartridge is replaced.

GSX_TC

Yep, when a BB Garrett fails you have to replace the entire unit, not rebuild it.

Tommyd

Garrett replace the cartridge as long as yours is reusable. Kind of like a core-return. There are rebuild kits available for the inside of the housing available to the public as well, but when its put back together with sloppy tolerances this apparently happens. I've personally never rebuilt the chra housing internals but a good friend of mine has done a number of them then sends them out for balancing. Total cost of just over $300

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned