The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel sender feed line thread size? (AN fitting)

GVR4_1057

I think if you cut off the flare tip (use a tubing cutter to be safe)that this should work on the 8MM tube (.0025 " bigger than the 5/16 intended size)and your -6AN male end will fit right onto it.

click

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Good question on the sealing method/surface Jeff. I'll take a look at that and also verify the pipe fitting size if I can.

I did mine the reverse, using an adapter fitting to the stock HOSE, and the AN fitting on the tank side. That was to fix and rusted cracked hardline on the pump though.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
OK, verified the fitting size is 14 x 1.5 mm. Searched my Earl's and Goodridge catalogs, and Pegasus, but no other choices for metric female fittings but the O-ring type. That may work, but don't crank down too tightly. I would preferably need to see the inside of that Earl's fitting to know how it would work with the inverted flare fitting.

Maybe not perfect, but better than what was there. I would start the car and observe with extinguisher in hand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pegasus has great selection, but everything is male.

Pegasus metric

Last edited:

CP

Like this, and then use the same type of -06 AN fitting I had on the hose end?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Replied to your PM.

You need a female fitting.

number3

6/16ths? What about 3/8ths?

atc250r

Staff member
100's and 100's of people have done the 6AN onto the stock line without issues. I would just replace the broken fitting with the same type. Unless you can find something to convert your 14mm male to 6AN male you're just pissing into the wind. Save yourself a ton of headache and just put another 6 end on.

John

CP

Gonna replace it with the same one that broke...Aeroquip this time instead of Russel. Should be good to go by this time tomorrow night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting number3:
6/16ths? What about 3/8ths?

What about it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

G

Staff member
More adapters ! click

They have a metric adapter on pg 8 of their cat, then all you would need is a metric coupler. female/female.

Last edited:

G

Staff member

GreenGSX

Quoting iceman69510:
That's the kind of stupid stuff shade tree mechanics do. Then they can complain their "car" "Mitsu" "DSM" is unreliable junk. As you can see in Cy's case, it was just a time-delay failure.

You are welcome to go through life with all sorts of "nevers...can'ts...won't work...shade tree" types of statements. Go ahead and make things harder then that have to be and feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. The advice I gave works and works well. Its simple, cheap, and yes it includes GASP!!?...teflon tape. I gave that advice because I use it myself on my own car. The one I run around Watkins Glen. So take a dig at me and call it "shade tree" if it makes you feel better but not I'm going to over think things when I have a solution that works.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Works well? I beg to differ given the empirical evidence at the beginning of this thread.

Over think? I would not put using proper threads on fluid connectors in the "overthinking" category.

But then again, 26 years experience at the race track and 22 years in engineering have taught me nothing.

GreenGSX

The empirical (direct observation) evidence is that the fitting was overtighened, it cracked, it failed. That happens all the time with AN fittings. I bet you've seen a few AN fittings fail in your 22 years of racing experience. Put it back together without overtightening it and it works. No need to overthink this no matter how much experience you have....and being and engineer, like having a pHd, doesn't mean a thing to me. I see those types of people fail just as often as the shadetree mechanics do.

You have a different opinion than I do great. Go ahead "beg to differ" express it and move on. Don't take shots at me from your soap box.

CarRacer

Go pour some gas in a mason jar, throw a piece of Teflon tape in there. Come back in a few days and see what that tape looks like.

I for one don't want that in my carbureator or injectors.

jepherz

Staff member
Actually, if you look at the picture CP posted, it looks to me like there was even teflon tape on the hose fitting, between the red and blue anodized pieces. That shouldn't be necessary either and that could have caused enough expansion stress to crack the fitting from the get-go.

But whatever, it's clearly been stated that it isn't the right way to do things. If it works for you and burns a car or two to the ground, so be it. The point Iceman is trying to make is that this would be incorrect usage of an otherwise nicely designed part, and there have been several of these cars to catch on fire, and CP has posted numerous times that his car is a piece of crap. Whether or not these incidents were all caused by incorrect usage of parts, I don't know.

To each their own.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting GreenGSX:
You have a different opinion than I do great.

Sorry, but it is really not an "opinion" that putting together two different threads is not preferred practice. That is fact.

I also don't believe that Teflon tape prescribed use matches the installation here.

And, the cracking could likely be a result of thread interference (oops, thread pitches are not the same!) not necessarily overtightening. A properly used AN fitting seals on the sealing surface only. Doesn't require much tightening. So the incorrect application caused the overtightening likely.

And no, not on the soapbox. Just providing an objective analysis.

Polish

Agreed, just because something works does not make it right. There are better ways.

I ordered a special $25 fitting from BATinc to convert a -6an fitting to the factory size fitting, that would be the correct way.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned