The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel pumps (walboro, TRE, autozone??)

slugsgomoo

Quoting Garfield Wright:
I don't know how accurate those stock pumps that Autozone is selling. If they're correct, then they're 'stock replacement pumps' which means they could be made by Walbro. A Walbro 255 or 255hp are 'stock replacement pumps' if you get what I mean. Find out who makes them & call up the company. Afterall, there are only so many fuel pump manufatures out there.

The factory pumps (1g or 2g) do not flow anywhere near either of the Walbro 255 pumps. If you want to test copare them, install them & put the car on a dyno & see how quick they run out out of steam. The Walbro's have been proven over & over again. They however don't like dirty fuel & dirty fuel systems.

The Bosch 044 pumps require a feeder pump meaning you need 2 pumps @ a cost of close to $400 while you can run 2 Walbro pumps for under $200. We are putting together a car right now with a Boasch 044 & it requires 2 Walbros to feed it.

Bosch pumps only require a lift pump if they are mounted outside the tank with stock lines and not sumped.

grocery_getter's car has an 044 in tank, as do a couple others that I know of and they all work quite well as the only pump.

For the money a supra pump gives a bit of extra headroom over a walbro 255, but either can be set up as a dual in tank fairly easily. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The Bosch is an inline pump mounted outside the tank w/-8an lines. The 2 Walbros are a bit overkill but that's what the customer wanted. The car has a gt42. Did you ever find out the part # & manufacture of the Autozone pump?

Kenny_Kline

Walbro has more to offer than what most people will need. Supra flows a little better under 20psi but the walbro flows better over 20psi. Walbro is cheaper. Both pumps are decent. I wouldnt take one over the other other than the walbro unit buying new for $100

Dialcaliper

Bosch makes a number of inline pumps, but the 044 is an in-tank model.

Quoting Garfield Wright:
The Bosch is an inline pump mounted outside the tank w/-8an lines. The 2 Walbros are a bit overkill but that's what the customer wanted. The car has a gt42. Did you ever find out the part # & manufacture of the Autozone pump?

14bCrazy

If the Autozone ones do flow that much and are the replacement for stock wouldn't that make our cars run rich as hell at idle? That would make them the wrong part for replacement or the info is wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Yes, check the RRE and Stealth316 links above. The Supra pump flows more, is good Denso factory quality, and is quieter than a Walbro.

Scientist

I came across the supra pumps when i was looking for an alternative to the walboro....Have seen a few fail already and i didn't want that whine in my head.

Supra pump went into my car...if i need more fuel i will add another supra pump

G

Staff member
Supra pump = dual turbine inside!

belize1334

I'm a big fan of the Evo IX pump if you're looking in the Walbro 190-255 range. It's got great flow characteristics as documented here . The Evo X pump flows even more but it's not clear to me if it would install the same way.

icurunnin

well the Airtex guy (fuel pump rep) came by today and I was able to pick his brain a little on this.
I asked about the ratings and how accurate they are and he said he stood behind those ratings. I also asked him how his pump would compare to the walboro 255lph unit and he said that his is quiter since it is a turbine unit verses a rollervane unit like the walboro and only flows 15lph lower without the noise.
He said he would give one to me for free to see how I liked it. He also let me know there is a Autozone in El Paso that is next door to a performance shop that buys these pumps like "crazy". I figure for free I couldnt go wrong.
Now next question is where I could send it to be tested at 12v and 14v to find out what its true flow is and pressure.

icurunnin

also while I was reading the specs in their catalog on the fuel pump (E8271) and noticed at the bottom of the page the following.
"flow and pressure are obtained at 12 volts. Normal charging voltage is 13.8 to 14.2 volts, which increases fuel pump output."
Their rating on the pump is 60gph / psi shut off 70-80

G

Staff member
What gph does your book say about the tt supra?

bigblock4g63

i run a bosch044 and i have run a mod/044 with a sump and the pump is outside the car with no feeder pump.

Last edited:

bigblock4g63

this is md/044 pump done by harry. i also have the normal looking 044
IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

here is ivey 044 pump outside the car..yes i know it his supra but i also a pix of his old tsi with two 044 outside the tank.
IMG_1404.jpg

Last edited:

bigblock4g63

Quoting Dialcaliper:
Bosch makes a number of inline pumps, but the 044 is an in-tank model.

Quoting Garfield Wright:

people can also run them outside the tank, like sean ivey. he ran the 044 outside with a sump

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts