The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel pumps (walboro, TRE, autozone??)

icurunnin

I know most of you guys run the walboro 255lph pump's around here but I found out something interesting.
I was looking at the pumps autozone had to offer and found that 255lph is what they sell for the most part.
the gvr4 unit is rated at 180lph with a pressure rating of 80-100 psi
the 2g unit is rated at 240lph with pressure rating of 70-80 psi
I dont understand how everyone talks up to the 255lph pumps when the 2g's came with that stock. granted our pump is considerably lower than that of the 2g which I can understand the swap. But what do the 2g guys really gain other than noise from the walboro and tre units?
just doing some thinking and wanted some opions on this. I have my aeromotive AFPR on its way and am now looking to buy a fuel pump. considered the autozone avenue just to have a warranty and to also get some specs on these things. just debating on the 2g unit or the walboro or tre route??
discuss...

turbowop

I'm not sure if that's accuate or not, but if so, I would think the 2g FPR would also be a good way to keep fuel pressure at bay at idle for those who don't wish to spend the extra money on an adjustable unit.

thecman02

click

click

These links would tell me the Autozone catalog is blowing smoke up your ass unless the autozone pumps are made by like walbro or something and rebranded. I mean the evo pumps rewired are only good for 200lph.

Last edited:

icurunnin

well its funny you say that. I have actually pulled several pumps off the shelf that say walboro on them and some that didnt. thing is they were both the same box, same same company but different manufactures inside. thats what got me thinking in the first place.
I am going to do some more research and see what else I can find. I would post pics of the proof showing the walboro pump but I use my phone for intermet service at work which wont allow that.
the 2g pump is $141 in these neck of the woods and comes with a 1 year warranty. the gvr4 pump is $138 so I figured why not spend the extra $3 and get an extra 50lph out of it.

jepherz

Staff member
I believe a 2g pump is the perfect fit for a vr4 too. But walbros can be had for sub $100 all day long.

icurunnin

I agree. and the TRE's go for $80 shipped all day. main thing I was getting at was the warranty and the fact that everyone talks 255lph all day long and thats what the 2g's came with stock and the 1g was not to far behind in flow. yet everyone says to throw a 255 in before you crank up the boost.

Did you read any of the links above? The 2G stock pump flows no where near 255 liters/hour. Your data is flawed.

icurunnin

let me rephrase thats.
the stock replacement at autozone flows 240lph. at least per their specs.

G

Staff member
WHat's wrong with a denso supra tt pump? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Have you tried looking up it's replacement? It's a few $ more than those janky walbros.

Last edited:

Lonewolf64

Don't forget about Evo VIII/IX units. I have an Evo VIII unit on my car: it does not overflow the stock FPR and is enough for 20psi on the E3 16g.

Dialcaliper

Watch out for flow claims on fuel pumps - they are usually talking about flow at base fuel pressure levels (35-40psi). All pumps flow less the more you raise the pressure under boost, but not all pumps decline at the same rate.

Search out there for some fuel pump "dyno" tests - RRE has some test results on their site for example. Here's more info Most of the pumps that claim 70-80 psi have a relief valve inside the pump, and can't pump any higher. (Evo 8 pump for example, but not the Evo 9). You can see by the test numbers in the link above the difference between the Walbro 255, and the Walbro 225HP pumps - Both flow almost identical amounts at base fuel pressure, but the HP pump wins by 20 LPH when pushed up to 73psi. The Bosch 044 is a good choice, since despite its lower flow rating, it holds almost as much pressure as the Supra pump at 73psi

JSchleim18

^^I mentioned the Supra TT Denso pump as my winner because of the price/performance. IIRC it's around half the price of a Bosch 044.

icurunnin

I looked up the supra tt pump just for fun and it is rated at 360lph and 90-100psi. but its also $400 which I aint going for.
where did you get your denso supra tt unit from?

G

Staff member
I can get it from denso a little over $100.

JNR

Goes to show you why wiring would be especially important on the Supra pump, damn ~20 amps (the walbro seems pretty efficient in that regard, fwiw) and just keep that electrical requirement in mind if using the Denso unit (I know 'only' 10 more amps, but it adds up)

dmj

Is anyone 100% sure that the 2G fuel pressure regulator will bolt up to the Vr4 fuel rail without any leaks.I thought the vr4 rail was a larger diameter than the 2G rail.

I don't know how accurate those stock pumps that Autozone is selling. If they're correct, then they're 'stock replacement pumps' which means they could be made by Walbro. A Walbro 255 or 255hp are 'stock replacement pumps' if you get what I mean. Find out who makes them & call up the company. Afterall, there are only so many fuel pump manufatures out there.

The factory pumps (1g or 2g) do not flow anywhere near either of the Walbro 255 pumps. If you want to test copare them, install them & put the car on a dyno & see how quick they run out out of steam. The Walbro's have been proven over & over again. They however don't like dirty fuel & dirty fuel systems.

The Bosch 044 pumps require a feeder pump meaning you need 2 pumps @ a cost of close to $400 while you can run 2 Walbro pumps for under $200. We are putting together a car right now with a Boasch 044 & it requires 2 Walbros to feed it.

Jostar

Quoting G:
I can get it from denso a little over $100.

G you can get the TT supra denso pump for 100 bux??? If yes i'll take one, Can you check denso part number for pumps?? I have one here that i pulled out of my Supra & it's very similar to the TT supra but the part number wasn't the same, please pm me...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts