The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel Pump Nightmare (pics)

steve

^ I too assumed thats what the link was for, but its not. Just another alternative. Check the vfaq for how to repair your housing with a new hard line.

Yeah I was thinking about it but I really dont have the time. I need that car done this week, Im starting a new job on monday and I use it as a daily driver. Only a couple miles each way, but I have to be out of my house @ 5:30am to be on time with a car. I really dont want to walk it or make my wife drive me that early.

Also for such a critical item, I dont want to test my limited skills any further with trying to rebuild it. If I had another car, and it was just a project car then yeah I would definitely give it a try.

steve

What are your options? If you have to pay a lot for a good used one, at least it will buy you some time to repair your broken one or send it to someone else who can repair it.

Rausch

+1 i can't see how you can justify 600+ for one through the dealer. i think you could get it somewhere and have it fixed (new tube welded etc>) for way cheaper. i hope you can work something out, as paying that kinda dough for a sending unit is just nuts....hell, you could replace the tank with a fuel cell, pump, and fittings for that 600. someone's gotta have one they are willing to part with somewhere..

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys. It hurts to say it but I dropped the cash on the new assembly.

I will rebuild the shitty one, but take my time with it and enjoy it instead of stressing out and trying to get it done this week under a time limit (I have 2 other big projects this week). Then I will be able to recoup some of the cost on the new one if that one comes out well enough to sell.

At least the parts guy was really nice and knew about the VR4, he hooked me up with a bit of a discount and it came to just under $600 after the taxes. I got it for 548.39 instead of 609.33

I should have it on Wed, but the latest it will be here is Fri. So knock on wood, I should have everything buttoned up before Monday. We shall see, thanks again you guys.

icurunnin

This sounds like fun considering I am about to install my TRE 255lhp fuel pump /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

steve

If your car is from Texas you'll be fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

man.. so dont want to change out my fuel pump. looks how yours does. not looking forward to it. goodluck

icurunnin

Yup, I bought it from the original owner. It has been on Tx its whole life. We will see how it goes.

Lol yeah it sounds like yours will be much nicer then what I had to deal with. I spoke with the PO and the pump upgrade was done close to 2 years ago lol. Man, I cant believe its been like that for so long with no problems.

Good luck with your project icu.

Woowoo, the part is in. Im going to head down and pick it up sometime this morning so hopefully if everything goes well with the install Ill be running again by lunch. Ill post some finished pics for those of you that need "closure" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rausch

plese do...i keep looking at my new title, and hope it was all worth it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

LMAO yeah Aaron, im sorry about that lol.

Well here is the deal, I was so close to pussing out and leaving the stock pump on there because i was deathly afraid of screwing it up transferring the walbro over. Also the filter on the walbro was disgusting and i didnt know if the stock one would fit. But I stuck with it and set it up beautifully (imho), the stock filter fits fine.

So I tested it and its not actively leaking, but... I didnt use any tape or dope on the fuel fitting threads and it seems like its seeping from there. Its not dripping yet but if I touch it after its been running I feel gas. Is there a special type of dope to use with gas or can i just use what i have? Or did I not tighten it enough, Im nervous to over-tighten lol.

I have a few nice pics that I will upload after I resolve the fitting issue. Thanks again.

Pete

Rausch

you can use some pipe dope. alot of guys shy away from thread tape as i think it breaks down. i used that around the lines on my regulator, and they have been fine for 2 yrs. if you have the pipe dope, use a bit of that on the threads, and cinch it down pretty good. i had a few small leaks in other areas when i converted the whole system, but a quick 1/2 turn more and they sealed right up.

Thanks man, i ended up backing the fitting out again and tightened it up and now its not leaking at all, didnt use any dope. woohoo!!

Here are some pics:

Dirty old walbro filter:
fuelpump015.jpg

Walbro on new assembly:
fuelpump012.jpg

And here it is installed with no leaks!!
fuelpump014.jpg

Thanks again for the help Aaron, and thanks to GVR4.org for giving me the confidence to work on my fuel system. Now Im heading down to the junkyard for a good cover, the one I have isnt airtight, I dont know where its from here is a pic:
fuelpump016.jpg

Bleh I just realized when looking at the pics that I will have to cut that 12V line again to get it through the good cover if I get one, oh well.

Rausch

just run a bead of RTV around the flat edge of the cover, and let it set up before you install it. when it's still semi soft, but not sticky, screw it down kinda loose, and let it cure. when thats done (probably overnight) cinch down the screws, and voila! instant sealed gasket! good work, glad we could be of service!

G

Staff member
Nice how much was that assembly ?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned