The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: the best shop lights you could ever buy

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting cheekychimp:
I don't suppose those ballasts run off 220 volts?

It does.

All of the ballasts auto adjust to handle anything from 110-277 volts

They also work on 250 volt DC. I highly doubt any of you are running industrial DC, but hey.

IncorpoRatedX

Just posted these on another forum, get them while you can!

IncorpoRatedX

Only the screw in 40 watt ones do.

Struc

So, out of curiosity, now that I have my stash of these...

What is the "proper" (code?) way to wire them to AC power? Just a plastic grommet in a electrical box for the wires to go through? Would like to wire them up as close to code as possible. I realize codes are different everywhere, but in general terms, how are these powered.

Also, ballast to light. Open wire nut connection?

Thanks!

IncorpoRatedX

the power hook up will need to be in a junction box, wire nuts suffice, black to black, white to white, green to exposed/case ground. The lamp wires can be hooked up with wire nuts, wire colors are not specific. I dont think that portion of the wire needs to be insulated.

4orced4door

That's exactly how I'm doing mine so far. Romex into handy box, black white green from ballast into handy box, romex out of handy box to next light, wire nut like colors and ground to case. I'm leaving the lamp to ballast connection exposed. However, the ballast states that the output is 215v so I'm concerned that it should actually be in the j-box as well. I might do the others that way since I've only done three of the ten so far.

Last edited:

Struc

Thanks guys. Was mainly concerned about running the individual wires from the ballast into a junction box, without some sort of flex or conduit or something. You rarely see exposed individual wires like that, and wasn't sure of the general code.

Since there doesn't appear to be any way to attach flex or conduit to the ballast, I was guessing just a plastic bushing in a junction box would suffice, but wanted to be sure.

Will probably do the same for the ballast to light wires as well, just for good measure.

IncorpoRatedX

We generally sell these lights in fixtures, so rarely are they ever wired out in the open like this, aside from in small garages like private residence. Myself and most of my friends have wired a plug to the end of that wire and just plugged them into existing outlet boxes.

Update for everyone:

My move date is getting closer and I still have about 1/3 of my lights left.

I'm offering a close out discount. Until the remaining stock is gone; if you guy 10 or more lights, you get a 20% discount.

Struc

DOH!

Quote:
I'm offering a close out discount. Until the remaining stock is gone; if you guy 10 or more lights, you get a 20% discount.

I always have the worst timing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

IncorpoRatedX

You can't have 'too many' energy efficient lights... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

IncorpoRatedX

All orders that I have sold on here should be delivered by now aside from the last order placed.

If any of you have not received your lights, please let me know and I will check tracking.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Hi Josh,

Did you get my last message?

Wondering when I can pay and if shipping quote has gone through yet?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,

Tim

RayH

Do the screw in rounds have a mogul base or medium base?

IncorpoRatedX

Tim, sent you a message back!

Ray, they're a medium base, i think technically E26

4orced4door

Got all ten of mine mounted up and wired a new circuit with three way switches. Only have the first two lights wired in so far, but they are already a huge improvement. The light is clean and bright. Looking forward to wiring in the other eight when I have time.

Josh, disregard the PM I sent about two more. I got the spacing figured out without them.

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

Holy crap ten lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif you should take pic of your setup.

4orced4door

Ten 40 watt lights. Since my ceilings are low I wanted the light spread out as much as possible and not just a few bright spots. I'll definitely post before and after pictures when they are all wired in.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting 4orced4door:
Got all ten of mine mounted up and wired a new circuit with three way switches. Only have the first two lights wired in so far, but they are already a huge improvement. The light is clean and bright. Looking forward to wiring in the other eight when I have time.

Josh, disregard the PM I sent about two more. I got the spacing figured out without them.

Definitely want to see the garage all lit up, you've been busy with the drain work and lighting!

I didnt see the PM for more lighting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif but my inbox has seen a lot of action lately, between the selling of the lights and trying to get the parts I need for the galant to make the cross country journey. If I over looked it, I apologize!

Anyone else that's tried to contact me, if you havent heard back, please, try again. Between the full time job and the full time work to prepare for moving I'm only at the computer for a short period of time during the day, I check the board from my phone but if the message is long or requires a long reply, I try to remind myself to get to it later, you all know how that works, im sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned