The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: rare 3.55 evo 1 transmission and t case swap 1200.00

3rdstrikedsm

54k miles in known tip top condition as it came from my jdm evo which I drove on the streets for about 6 months before I tore it down to switch directions in my build so now comes an oportunity to own this rare set up which swaps in to any usdm dsm or gvr4 directly but there is a good bit of labor involved mainly swapping the ring and pinion in the rear diff.

this is a little known "secret" in the DSM world but a built trans from Shep or any of the other well known builders in which all the use is early evo bits to build them well here is one better a complete known good low low mile swap.

This will cut a good bit of time from the 1320 as the gearing is short but just about perfect for the track as you will top out 4th just before the end of the traps but if you raise the rev limiter then you are golden.

early evo have the steel shift forks etc etc stock.

What you will get....

known good evo 1 transmission with no issues

known good t-case (late 2g style)

known good rear ring and pinion to match the front final drive

we did this in a gvr4 many many years back and it was killing the streetrace scene and even the track with our little known secret weapon which was jdm gearing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

click this same swap in action in a gvr4 years ago.

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

Pic added from their stored location, starter not included

This truly is a bad ass upgrade for any usdm car as close ratio gears adds a fun factor and shreds time from the track.

prove_it

I really really want this, but have no funds. So alas I will envy whomever buys this.

Trades?...

3rdstrikedsm

May entertain trades depending on what it is or partial trades.

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

well worth it and I would have picked this up is budget allowed. well worth the asking price!

strokin4dr

No need to swap the ring and pinion to run this trans, right??

3rdstrikedsm

Yes you would either have to swap in a usdm final drive in the trans or swap the rear ring and pinion but in order to take full advantage of the swap you would want to swap the rear unless you just wanted a stronger trans then one could just put the final drive in the trans and go.

strokin4dr

I'm confused by this. Is the trans a 3.545 or 3.909 final drive? I see it's listed as a 3.545 but why would you need to change the rear final drive if it's the same ratio as the US VR4??

Also, if this is an evo 1 trans, why is it packaged with a late 2g transfer case? The only evo to use the 1.074 transfer case was the evo 3, if I'm not mistaken. The evo 1-2's used the 1.090 transfer case (same as 91-96 dsms). Was this setup ran together before? If so, for how long?

Just trying to get some clarification because I was really interested in this setup, but when I read the ad again, it is not clear what is actually for sale here.

Is this a stock evo 1 trans? As far as I know, all evos came with the 3.909 final drive. The only one to come with the 3.545 was the Lancer GSR 1.8 awd.

3rdstrikedsm

Sorry I got a bit confused myself on this but confirmed this with Tim Zimmer from TMZ that it is the proper evo 1 transmission just someone along the line swapped it to a lancer gsr final which is the same as usdm so this will in fact bolt and go so easy way to get the close ratio gearing of the evo trans.

The reason I thought it was a late 2g t case is because I was thinking of the 3.9 gearing not the 3.5 so this may infact be the early t case but I still would feel better selling the case and trans as 1 unit and am willing to knock 100.00 off the price and deduct the rear ring and pinion from the deal as it will not be needed.

This works out way better for those of you with the usdm 3.5 gearing as now you can buy a known perfect working transmission and t case with evo gearing and just swap out your current trans for this one as its super low mile and was behind a near stock car so never saw big power abuse.

I would love to keep this set up but I have to go back to a 3.9 set up in order to run the ralliart trans I have now which is the only reason for the sale.

strokin4dr

Post a pic of the id numbers on the bell housing. Sounds like this car was running a gsr (non-evo) drivetrain.

Doesn't make sense that someone would go through the trouble to swap the trans AND rear diff ring gears from the more desirable 3.909 to the less desirable 3.55 final drive.

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

depends who you ask the 3.9 runs out of gear and you have to run it in to 5th killing 1/4 mile times where as the 3.5 is much better but even so the gear set is close together making the ratio changes better for racing.

I will get the #'s when time allows hopefully tomorrow

3rdstrikedsm

Sale pending will update once it is picked up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned