The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: QM twin disc

4thStroke

I have a Quartermaster twin disc that for sale that needs some attention.

I broke a clutch fork, so the cover is a bit beat up, but does not affect the function of the clutch at all.

The Shep clearanced fork did clear completely and eventually clearanced itself, so the end of the threads and top of the nuts are a little beat up. Again, this will not affect the function of the clutch.

The clutch has the TMZ gear drive disc set with about 10k miles on them.

The clutch started slipping on the dyno at 470awhp, I can't recall what the torque was. I pulled it out and upon inspection, the v-drive plate and floater plate appear to be warped, the wear is uneven.

The ring gear is welded to the flywheel.

There is some wear on the gear drive hub.

Friction plate, the other measured 5.99
scaled.php

Inside of floater plate
scaled.php

Outside of floater plate
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

The clutch has not seen a whole lot of heat, just daily use mostly. I never did make any passes at the track with it, just a few launches on the street. I also have the spacer to keep the flywheel bolts from bottoming in the crank.

Asking $700, make an offer though.

MitchooO

Do you know how it got warped? Did you ride it too much when you launched it on the street or do you think the clearance was wrong for the throw outr bearing and it kept pressure on it the hole time? I'm interested in used parts that I can get rebuilt. but I'm just not sure about this one. These clutches hold alot of power ussually don't they?

4thStroke

I think just normal street use is what warped it, because I really didn't beat on it much. The pressure plate and flywheel show they were not subject to as much heat as most clutches that are replaced once they are done. I don't believe there were any clearance issues other than what happened with the clutch fork. The clutch is rebuildable and the parts that are warped can be had for pretty cheap. Realistically, the clutch can be ready to go for whatever price is agreed on plus maybe a couple hundred more for the pressure plate (a V shaped piece, not the cover), floater plate, and machined clutch fork. The clutch retails for over $1200 and I am willing to negotiate since it does need some work.

These clutches hold a lot of power. They have held up to 600+awhp DSMs without a problem and should be capable of even more.

If you would like to talk about the clutch over the phone, I'm available after 6:00pm Pacific time. threesixzero.sixzeroone.1664.

EDIT*
The parts can be had here, click

I would honestly just buy the floater for $92, the v-drive pressure plate for $120, and the clutch fork for $54. You can have one hell of a clutch for pretty cheap.

Using the 2g accumulator and 2g slave help the drivability a ton if you plan on street driving. I never did use those parts, but I did drive a non gear drive QM and it felt like an ordinary 2600/sprung disc.

Last edited:

curtis

Just because there warped doesn't mean you can't use them. What you need to do is find a dead flat surface. I have a headstone piece on a workbench I use. Lay it on the stone and measure with a feeler gauge. Some is allowed but you'll have to call QM to find out how much. Seems like it was .008 average when I called PTT about mine.

4thStroke

Curtis, I don't advise using the clutch without replacing those parts. The uneven wear is very evident on the v and floater plate and the clutch did slip at 470awhp, just around peak torque and still building power.

I appreciate you looking out, though!

MitchooO

Ok thanks guys for the input! I was just curious to if anyone actually rebuilt one that was in this kind of shape and made out ok with it. Is it not the best decision to put this clutch in for street use? Mine is always drivin on the street. I have a clutchnet red pressure plate with a 6 puck now thats hard to drive now so im not worried about pedal feel, Just dont want to put a clutch in that will be ruined from street use

4thStroke

It was probably a combination of things that caused the parts to warp. The parts the warped have over 20,000 miles on them. Twins don't like to see the street as much as the singles, but your tranny will shift like never before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thedsmguy

Spence,

Whats it going to take to get this usable in another car? I guess there are more then just me that are wondering what its going to cost to run this again.

Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned