The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: AL 2003 Black Mica Mazdaspeed Protege $4000, may trade

highspeed

Thinking of selling my MSP.

Background:
I bought the car in 2005 from a Mazda dealer in GA. I am the second owner of the car and the car has always been in the south, we now live in AL. It has 19k miles when we bought it. It has simply been the best car I have ever own......hands down, and I have owned alot of cars. It has also been my wifes DD since we bought it. The car now has 170,xxx miles on it, and the engine sounds like it did the first day I bought it. I have religiously changed the oil and done all the maintenance on this car because it has carried my two girls around also. I am getting my wife a bigger car so its time to let this go, I love awd and I am looking for another awd car for rallyx and auto x, gvr4 are my favorite. Here is the break down......good and bad........I have nothing to hide and do not want anyone to have any surprises.

First the bad:
-standard rock chips and some superficial scratches

-has some dings, the car is about a 5 footer, nothing major at all

-exhaust manifold has the MSP cracks in it, causing intermittent CEL for 02 sensor, it comes and goes

-car came without the stock airbox and has an AEM cone filter

-has stock junk plastic bpv that has a small leak, time to upgrade to a real bov/bpv
-pin hole in the front drivers fog light that i filled with silicone, no leaks

-A/C works, but has the 3rd gen issue with bad contact in the switch inside the car, A/C works on low and high and intermittently on the two middle speeds, A/C is cold, heat is hot no complaints

-newer CD player, not necessarily bad

-drivers seat is worn, but not that bad

-drivers floor board has a slight tear in the floor carpet next to the dead pedal

-needs new motor mounts, makes 3 gear come out periodically because the engine shifts too much pulling it out of gear, no grinding. I have a BNIB SLS front engine mount, the stiffest one on the market.....but my wife doesn't want the vibration. Its a common issue, stock mounts suck!

-suspension is the stock original struts and springs(tokico and Racing beat), its squeaky, would recommend getting Yellowspeed coilovers

-4 years ago my wife backed into a high curb and bent the stock exhaust tip. I took the rear axle back off to get it repair and decided that it sounded better with it off, 3 months after I took it off someone stole it out of my garage when I was home

Ok for the good
-First off I just bought Arias 8:5 pistons and K1 long rods. Compression will be 8:7 with the long rods. I got them used from a guy on mazda247 in preparation for fully building the motor, had 3k miles on forged parts

-Replaced the 3-4 gear shift fork last June when it broke. I put in the updated tougher shift fork from mazda

-while replacing that I welded the stock LSD up for strength

-Spec 2+ clutch and TOB(which is louder than the stock one)

-new MSP axles and wheel bearings

-Timing belt at 156,xxx

-water pump at 156,xxx

-new valve cover gaskets

-ATP wga actuator

-BNIB SLS motor mounts

-No oil leaks

-Engine has never ever used oil that I could tell

-stock gt2554r has no noticeable shaft play in any direction, always been at
stock 6.5 psi..... always

-just replaced alternator and ps pump

-flushed coolant

-sub was replaced under factory warranty 4 years ago, still works great

-cross drilled rotors up front with stock pads

-new rear rotors with stock pads

-comes with stock Racing Harts that have some rash on them, tires are mismatched

-rims and tires on it now are in good shape, 70% tread all season tires

-have stock MAZDASPEED floor mats that have never been in the car, but come with the car, some generic floor mats in there for DD duty

My wife needs something bigger. I am currently deployed but will be home for a few weeks in FEB. The car probably could use a tune up. It has been all over the south and has never broken down. My wife drove just about every weekend to GA from Birmingham AL to see her family. I figure that someone will be looking to get a stock MSP with some basic parts to start a forged build. I know what some people ask for their MSP, and I am asking ridiculously less and would really like to trade for a decent GTX, talon, or vr4......anything awd, really want to get back into rallyx and autox when I return from afghanistan. I guess I would ask $4000 firm. I see ones with blown motors go for $4k. Here are some pix;

Pix of rods from the for sale ad that I bought them from on msprotege.com
100_0216.jpg

Pistons
100_0207-1.jpg

New clutch in June 2010
7.jpg

Replacing 3-4 gear shift fork
3.jpg

tranny1.jpg

And the only pic I have right now of the car, and I forgot to shut the hood all the way.......my wife will get some more pix really soon
msp_color.jpg

PM me your phone number if you need me to call you, I may be able to from Afghanistan if anyone is serious. I will be home for leave fairly soon so we may be able to work something out. Title is Clean. PM is the easiest way to get me. Thanks

Highspeed

a2vr4

Looks like a nice ride! glws! but you should add a location to your title...

highspeed

Yeah Im going to. My wife has to do them because I am deployed at the moment. The issue now is that its raining cats and dogs in alabama right now. I will have her take a crap load of pictures to go with the description. If it is nice enough later this afternoon, she will take better pictures

And for those who are asking, the car runs fine.....just needs better motor mounts to help the tranny(which is rod shifted and not cable, causing the issue).
When I had the tranny apart last year, everything looked great except for the 3-4th gear shift fork which broke an ear and I changed it for the newer version from Mazda which is a ton stronger. Synchros looked great, gear teeth are sharp(cut my knuckle) and the LSD is welded up around the inside of the ring gear for strength by FTPerformance here in Birmingham AL. Wife drives it everyday with two girls, she loves the car but she wants an SUV. She never takes it over 4krpms +/- because she doesn't like the sound of the turbo and it accelerates too fast for her(which its not really fast, but handles great).

MSP's come with Racing Beat front and rear swaybars already installed as well as a front strut tower brace.

1badgvr4

To anyone interested this car has been very well taken care
Of and is a great deal!

highspeed

Thanks Dean.........

I will try to get more pix up soon, it rained all day in AL so wife couldn't get anymore pictures.

highspeed

here is a pic of the exhaust mani close up, you can see two cracks. I recently got in on a group buy for a Thunder Manifold from a mazda guru called Protephile on msprotege.com. If this isn't gone in the next couple of weeks, I will be paying for the manifold as well as about $1k on some other parts like full exhaust/ fmic/ engine management, and will be keeping it. It really wont hurt my feelings if no one gets it, I have kinda fallen back in love with the car since I have been home and able to drive it again, it just handles so damn well in stock form. anyways here you go....more pix

and more pix
IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned