The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

front suspension clunk

GVR-4

Mark, I would bet it is the strut mounts, tops or whatever they are called. I had the same trouble with my Galant. I found a guy selling some unopened OEM new ones that he hadn't used and I bought them and replaced my old ones. That did the trick. I think (as previously mentioned) that bearing wears out and gets sloppy resulting in the clunking. My wife's Protege 5 has the same problem, but we just ignore it. If I were you and I were going to spend any money on trying to fix it, I would buy new top mounts from JNZ to replace those old ones.

turbowop

The problem is that I think Erik already tried that. I have a few things to try I guess. Until I have the extra time, I'll just deal with the clunk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

spoulson

I had this very same problem. I swapped out all 4 worn original struts and springs with a slightly used assembled set of GR2's. No more clunk. I couldn't say if it were the struts or strut top, because the whole assembly was replaced. If your struts aren't too old, get new strut tops.

evo8ya

All the parts I tried did help alittle but the noise never really when away till I replaced the bump stops.

656of1000

To check swaybar bushings or endlinks, open the drivers door all the way. Providing your door hinges are strong, grab the end of the door and rock the car back and forth. If there is a problem with the swaybar- whether it's an endlink or a bushing- this will reproduce the clunk. Have another person help by feeling the swaybar while you rock the car- just don't squish them!

From my experience, must of the suspension clunks I've heard have been bushings- whether it's control arm, swaybar, or strut mounts. I know the rear bushings on my front control arms are loose, so i wedged cardboard under the bushing and tightened up the bracket- it made the bushing tighter.

turbowop

UPDATE!

So I bought Nick's (number638) old set of Ground Controls which included front GR-2's and rear AGX's. His rear AGX's were blown so I swapped to mine. I installed the front ones the way they were with plans to swap to my AGX's tonight. After installing the front GC/GR2 combo, the clunk was gone. I assumed that meant my strut top was bad. Not so...

I pulled the factory springs off my AGX's today and found that the driver's side strut was blown. No oil leaking though. It was just as clean as the passenger side, so I always assumed it was good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif I felt like a retard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I never wanted to have to pull the springs off to make sure, but figured if it were blown, it'd be leaking oil like mad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Anyway, now the car has Ground Controls all around with GR-2's in front and AGX's in the rear, all of which are in good shape. Car handles much bettah now and no more annoying clunk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
I've seen that on a bunch of 3KGT's over the years. Glad to hear its sorted out Mark.

John

wowzer

I am starting to wonder if mine is the same thing. Even though I just replaced them with a good conditioned used set. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned