The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front bumper cutting

prove_it

I'm looking to cut up my front bumper and I was wondering if anyone could post some close up pics that show off where to cut the slats out. Seems to me that it would leave a weird finish so I was looking for some info on how to cut it out and still look real good. Anyone?

You're talking about the usdm bumper I assume. Well no matter what, when you cut it you are going to expose the black rubber underneath. I cut mine and am planning on using a dremel to smooth out the lines where I cut and some touch-up paint on the black rubber. Thats all I got.

turbowop

I can't stand the look of USDM bumpers with the slats cut out. Only one I've seen that I can actually consider decent is Mark's from AMS. IMO, it just doesn't look right because the intercooler has to sit so far back to clear the bottom part of the bumper, which makes the upper part look like it's sticking out even farther than it actually is...that and you can see too much gap between the sides of the intercooler and the inner part of the bumper.

I even wish I'd not cut out my JDM bumper, but I don't think it looks as bad as cutting out a USDM one, so I just live with it.

Here is what I did with mine back in the day:

I just cut out the big middle piece. Whatever you do you'll need to touch up wherever you cut with paint to hide the black urethane.

Ya when I cut mine, it didnt look as good as I hoped it would. Its the choice I made and have to live with. It looks ok from far away.

GVR-4

Here's mine. I tried to make it as clean as possible.

turbowop

That looks pretty clean, Dave. Enough cut out to allow better airflow, but enough left uncut to keep the bumper looking nice.

prove_it

I'm wondering how well these look up close. Does using touch up paint help?

turbowop

Get some paint mixed up and brush it on with a nice paint brush from a hobby store used for plastic models. Since you're just touching up the edges, it will look fine.

EMX5636

I did something similar to Dave's, but I just left a little less of the upright sections. I just didn't want the bumper to sag in the midddle, which is why I think most people just cut them out.

GalantRoundFogs1.jpg

I like it, it hides the intercooler, and looks better IMHO.

prove_it

Question is how clean are the cuts and how difficult is it to do?

I like how you just cut out the black section and left the slats. Thats what I am going to do to mine when i cut it soon.

I would probably use a dremel or small die grinder with a cutting wheel on it or if your really careful a sawzall would work fine too. Thats what we used when I cut out a friends civic bumper for the optional foglights.

prove_it

can you post a really close close up pic. that would help me a lot.

Also i know if you have sagging issues, you can get strips of aluminum and glue them underneath the slats as reinforcments, basically making a brace for each slat.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

When I did it on 1759 I used a box cutter with a new blade on it. It cut through the bumper like it was butter. I tried the dremel but it kept melting the plastic and it was a pain in the ass and very messy. The box cutter was very clean and easy but you do have to be careful.

turbowop

I use a hacksaw blade without the handle. Just hold it while wearing a pair of gloves. You can be pretty precise using this method. Clean up the cuts with a Dremel afterward.

324vr4

It depends on how "hungry" your car is...we used a recipricating saw...little gnarly as far as control goes but cleaned it up better with a box knife...which as stated above, cuts like butter

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

324vr4

Luckily its not a sleeper OR a DD so it works well for its purpose built design...but to each their own I suppose...you really can't see the whole picture due to the quality but there's a chin-brace under the IC that flows into the bumper's cut...it works but once an unmolested bumper makes itself available I'd entertain a different, more OE look...but as is, that's what one gets when they buy a wrecked GVR4...

atc250r

Staff member
+1 on a box cutter. I actually used a carpet knife on mine. I believe Steve used a box cutter on the bumper and his hand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned