The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FP RED or FP GREEN?????

uncleben4rice

T-Wopper here we go again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. I thought you had enough but apparently you need more drama in your life. I told you before if you want it, just come and get it. We can meet somewhere in the middle and race'em Uncle Ben vs. Turbowop..Its all good. Until then get off my nut sack every time I say something or have a comment. You don't even have the fastest car on the site. You don't know everything do you? Dayum whipper snapper.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif "I ran quicker times on my FPgreen than you have on your GT35r. Six years ago" so what... oooh ...what does that mean? Jack sh*t is what it means to me, race me or shut up. Do you still have your car? is it still fast? do you daily drive it like I do 100 miles round trip everyday? Probably not.

turbowop

Uncleben, once again you miss the point of my reply entirely and take it as a personal attack wanting a race. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roll.gif

All I was trying to say is that he doesn't need a huge turbo like you think to meet his goals. I know this from experience, you obviously don't.

uncleben4rice

Look Turbowop dude without jackin this dis-cussion I say this to all the wanna B ricer boys mobbin Galants. Dont look to this site for real help or advice. They are clicky and want to dis you if they dont know you or agree with your methods. (Cause they are always right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif) I tried to get help and all I got was criticism and disrespect. Bring your race gas maxed out 16g or 20g against my race gas tuned 35r and see what happens. I will spank dat ass..

Now back to the question. Turbos, its real simple. FP reds and greens are cool for the short run maxed out. But if you wanna run with the big boys up top say 40mph to 140 diggs. Run a big ol GT35r or whatever you like. Dave Wormer at FFTEC helps me with my car. He went 11s on a 14B. He will tell you big turbos are easier to go fast with and more efficient. And from experience, get the turbo first and upgrade around it.

Now argue that.

uncleben4rice

click

This is on 91 pump and I told him to stop at 21 psi cause I dont need more than that for the street. You cant get these numbers on a green or red without high octane gas or hella boost like 25psi or something is all im saying... Mustang dyno not dynojet...

uncleben4rice

real street car no issues 100 miles per day. no knock. no problems. Big turbos SUCK. SMALL TURBOS don't suck enough. If your on a dynojet then yea you will get 400 to the wheels on a 16g, I forgot about that scenario.

turbowop

25psi is hella boost? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif most of the large turbos you suggest aren't effecient until they're above that.

Bench race all you want, I (me, not some buddy/tooner) have proof in numbers with years worth of timeslips. My car makes the same power it always has and is still on the stock bottom end at 140k miles. 1051 is too nice to daily drive...I have 503 for that.

onesickcrx

FP Green HTA or 68HTA

It all depends on how far you want to push it. I think the power level of my BIG16G and instant boost of my BIG16G was great just lacked what I wanted in the 5800-7500 power range... I would highly recommend the green if your going to get the HTA I think you'll get the best of both world great response low cost and a ton of top end power

Big16g stock motor with regular bolt-ons pulled lengths on evos and sti's with bolt-ons how much more do you need is the question

I think the 30R's are more then most people need on the street /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif what do I know my street car is a street car kinda lol

CutlassJim

Quoting uncleben4rice:
click

This is on 91 pump and I told him to stop at 21 psi cause I dont need more than that for the street. You cant get these numbers on a green or red without high octane gas or hella boost like 25psi or something is all im saying... Mustang dyno not dynojet...

Woah and you only have to wait until 5k to make 350 wheel horse! Wicked cool. That powerband would make me want to sell my car.

boostedinaz

Quoting uncleben4rice:

Now argue that.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Yeah everyone needs a 350 AWHP at 5K to really prove how awesome they are. Since it's a Mustang dynop I'll give you say 400 AWHP. My buddy here in AZ had a 16G car on a stock 7 bolt short block, cams, FMIC, E85, etc... In AZ he made 378 AWHP and had a MUCH MUCH better power curve.

The reason people give you sh*t is because you come walking in like some wanna be big timer throwing out BS like you know your sh*t. That might impress someone who is brand new to all this but to those of us who actually know what we are talking about we can see through your BS and call you on it. This site is THE definitive source for all GVR4 info and for YOU of all people to claim other wise is hilarious.

I hate to break it to you but a 35R only making maybe 400 AWHP at 5K is not a huge accomplishment and THAT is why no one takes you seriously.

Now go ahead and come back with you typical wankster come back of let's race this, or I know that guy, etc... It won't matter because we can all see through that BS.

boostedinaz

Now as for the actually discussion at hand I agree with those saying a Green or HTA green. The 50trim is a turbo that has proven year after year build after build to ge a great turbo. It can make good power, loves pump gas, and is still very streetable given its potential.

Personally I would go with a 3052 or some other 3076 variant but I like the FP housing more so that the traditional DSM housing.

CutlassJim

And correction it's 350hp at 6.5k, even less impressive.

And the OP just asked the most controversial question that can be asked on a boosted car forum. It's all a tradeoff of boost threshold, max power, and price. It's totally up to you. I love the top end of friends big turbo cars but I ask hem to floor it in gear at 3k and proceed to laugh at/with them.

They key to pump gas power is a big intercooler and a big hotside.

1badgvr4

Uncle there is no reason to use the language ur using to try, and make a point because is making you look more and more like a little kid. You say the 3065 worked for you then show us. Do you have any dyno sheets? 1/4 times?...anything?

I also say the 3065 is the BEST street turbo for a 4g63. I had one for about 1.5 years. It went 11.9 at 120 and 18 psi on 93 oct and made 460hp 400tq on only 25 psi on e85. 33 psi on the street was pretty scary, and not really even useful as it would just spin all 4 in 2nd. Be sure to ride in something with that kind of power before you have it under your right foot. It can get stupid real quick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Brianawd

HTA68,HTAgreen,FP3052,DSM76.
All great street turbos. All can go fast if pushed. As every one knows I am a big fan of FP turbos. Every turbo I have every had over the last 7years was ordered from FP.

For a fast street car with great spool, I like the fp3052 or DSM76. If you want more of a track/street turbo then 35r. 35r hands down will make more power,(650+awhp)but spool is not the best for a steet car. That is my opion.
I built my car based around my turbo. Cams,intakemanifold,Headwork,bottom end. I wanted a car that was fast at the track but more so I wanted a car that was fun and well rounded on the street. IE power band between 3k-8k. On my dyno I make 500+awhp for over 2,500 rpms. Looking at the dyno it shows full spool just after 4k. But I can tell you that on the street its more like 3600-3800rpms. Spencer can comfirm that as he has riden in my car when and got way stupid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

For the whole 30r vs 35r
On the street doing a 2nd to 4th gear pull I walk 35r cars like they are standing still. Once into 4th gear is where the 35r car shines and walks past me.

onesickcrx

Another option is to go twinscroll and pick up 500-1000 rpm of spool with a bigger turbo.... So you get fast spool and but the top end of the bigger turbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4thStroke

Brian's car a proof that a larger frame turbo can spool like a 16G, but a lot of the work takes place outside the turbo. He has one of the most well prepped and thought out street cars I've ever seen. The car is a blast and has very good street manners.

I'd still like to see a fair 3052 vs DSM76 dyno to see the difference in spool. We know the DSM76 will make more power, but I'd like to see if their claims on better spool time holds true.

boostedinaz

^^^^

Wait a tick....so you're saying that just throwing on a big turbo is not the best way to make power and have a fast car. Careful Uncleben will want to race you to show how that is incorrect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

TylerAdamson

Wait, you're telling me that if I put a GTX42R on my stock longblock I'm not going to make 1000hp? Thank you for ruining my day.

uncleben4rice

Ahhhh the room is a buzzing again, I love it...I was getting bored..Thanks guys..He called me a wankster...classic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Twop,brian, I cant believe how easy it was to pull them in this time. How many times have we argued big turbo vs small? Im a big turbo guy, but I do miss the spool of the 16g. Relax kids, I know the game. The Uncle out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned