The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fmic

mountaineerjeff

Quoting GSX_TC:
Dont ever get Ebay stuff for go fast parts. the only stuff i get off ebay are JDM parts or misc electronics

well I normally leave your posts alone. but DO NOT EVER make a post giving what seems like a 100% stern answer when you arent 100% sure. especially when you had a bit of a degrading attitude about it.

I ran 25+ psi daily with it up to 30-33 when I bolted the wastegate shut. on a 20g turbo. im pretty sure you arent in that power range? and I ran them on ebay pipes. everyday. only mode of transportation. how many people blow the side out of a pipe? period? now correct me if Im wrong but even though psi has direct result on power, it will be on the pipes. so 30psi is still 30 psi. 30 psi on a 42r? im pretty sure that will handle the power estimates.

a pipe is a pipe. you spend 1000 on yours and support the vendors. ill spend 70 on mine then ill have $930 worth of stuff that will actually make me faster.

GSX_TC

who said anything about pipes. we're talking about intercoolers here. you can buy pipes anywhere, their pipes, not turbos. i couldnt imagine there being that much of a difference in pipes on ebay and pipes from a vender besides a shinier material and having a lip on the edges as opposed to just being cut straight off. and you have no idea what power range im in. thats not what this is about. while your cheaping out, thinking you making out with alot of cheap power, your just hurting the aftermarket support in the meantime.

Last edited:

mountaineerjeff

Quoting mountaineerjeff:
yea, I picked up an evo8 intercooler from natecrisman and just got a cheap set of ebay pipes and them.

umm I did? before you said no? once again it looks like you are now trying to insinuate that I dont know how to read, when once again you made the literacy error. every time you point a finger you get three pointing right back.

as I stated originally and am sticking to, the best Idea is to pick up a cheap evo8 from a part out, then use a cheap generic kit from egay. statistically it will remain functional longer than a gvr4.

and as far as the BS vendor argument, they are just businessmen. we arent losing anyone like you try and make it seem, we never had any support to begin with. the support of vr4s arent lost when someone goes to egay. there is not a single vendor that waits on their dinner to come from the gvr4. Name one vendor that sells a 'street' vr4 fmic? none? oh ets? they have one kit good for like 800hp that sounds like street right? so no they dont count either. so you arent even taking money away from vendors, because they dont even offer the product.

you have to understand that a 300-600 hp intercooler is as different from a 6-900 hp fmic as an all season is to a drag slick. no im not going to tire rack because I am cheap and hate support for the community. Im doing it because im not going to pay 5x as much for slicks that dont fix my problem.

if you want to support the community, then by all means talk curtis in to making you a set....or hell if you are *NOT* on a time crunch I WILL PERSONALLY setup a street intercooler setup. so now you have more community support.

editd with *s

Last edited:

my topic has became soooo angry haha and i still have gotten an answer to my question if i cant find a evo 8 fmic what size ic are u guys getting from punisment racing or cx racing????

GSX_TC

not to be a butthead, but if people cant afford to buy good parts for our cars, then they really shouldnt be playing with these cars in the first place.

mountaineerjeff

yea, sorry. One thing that really gets me is when people tell you that there is a name brand requirement on power.

you should def be able to find an evo fmic though. post up a WTB. OEM has the budget to make the kind of quality that is street proven.

mountaineerjeff

GSX_TC

Quoting FavNumber:
Quoting GSX_TC:
not to be a butthead, but if people cant afford to buy good parts for our cars, then they really shouldnt be playing with these cars in the first place.

Afford vs Being smart with your money. Some parts are priced basically by brandname alone and may not be the BEST performing out there.

i.e: HKS and Greedy

who said anything about HKS or greddy, so i guess all the guess that get parts from Extremepsi or Map or STM arent being smart with their money? im talking about the stuff i mentioned earlier, I'll Reiterate it: JMfabrications/ShearerFab/Magnus/Shep Trans/TRE/STMtuned/Buchur/MAperformance/MachV/ExtremePsi/JNZtuning/Road Race Engineering if you think going to places like that is not smart spending then something aint right buddy.

boostx

Quoting GSX_TC:
Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
I have a Godspeed intercooler off e-bay, works just fine. full bar & plate with internal fins. I've had it on for a few years now with no issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

thats because your not making alot of power yet. once you break past 550- 650 Hp those ebay cores fall apart man.

I have seen lost of cars make 700+ on ebay IC so i don't know where you are getting your info from.

GSX_TC

whats important to understand is not to go buy brand, I go buy what has been proven, stuff that i see test and tuned and tracked. companies like Garrett and Forced performance and Tial are the sh*t when it comes to proven power on and off the track and thats what i love.

dmj

For those who are interested. The intercooler size on my car is as follows, core is. 21 inches w, 10 inches high. 3 inches thick. With end tanks and outlets total width is 27 ins. cost $90.00 2 years ago. That said the evo core can be had cheaper and is oem quality.

dmj

Pipes are Cx racing Generic kit with 6 couplers. 2 J pipes, 2 45 degree 1 straight and 1 U bend Paid 60.00. I cut to fit then took them to a local guy for tig welding. The j pipe off the turbo is an ETS 2.25 in unit. I used a exhaust pipe expander to make it 2.5 in at the coupler ,also purchased an aluminum 1g blowoff valve flange for $15.00 on ebay to complete the kit.

Last edited:

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
I modified the stock piping to work with the core, for now. I'll measure it when I get home but that wont be till around nine-ish. It made a noticeable difference over the stock oil cooler sized unit & cost was around 150 plus two reducer couplers to mate it to the stock pipe size. If I remember right I did hack up the stocker to use one of the bends on the drivers side.

I'm not looking to ever make more than 350-400 with this car, because not race car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Im really interested in seeing pics of your setup if you have any thanks in advanced

broxma

I'm not getting into this one.

/brox

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned