The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fmic install pics

number3

quote:Originally posted by hibern8:
harry the pic of your car looks to have no foglights but my eyes may be playing games.....i forgot to mention, im running the spearco 2-221 which has top and bottom end tanks, inlet and outlet on same side. this is so i can get rid of the crossover pipe going over the HOT manifold for less restriction. i thought i would ask becasue for being stock foglights, they are badass. i only drive this cr in the summer too so i dont need them, just like them.
Number3 doesn't sport the factory foglights but it could.

turbowop

quote:Originally posted by GVR4#1362:
do you got anymore pics of the install job
and maybe a parts list
I have more pics but they only show the piping which is shown in the pics section of this site anyway. As far as parts you just need:

-starion fmic (modded by rre if possible)
-rre's ic piping kit
-various hoses and couplings to connect it all
-stuff to move the battery to the trunk (batt goes into the trunk because of the next item)
-Dejon intake (because the rre piping interferes with the stock location of the mas can)

That's about it. You need to cut some of the bumper support out to fit the ic behind the bumper.

I used the Dejon 2G in a 1G pipe with my RRE pipes, and fitment was terrible. I am running a 1G K&N on an adapter plate on it, so that probably contributed, but I had to lengthen the turbo side with a 3.5" length of pipe going to a silicon reducer to the 16G. Too many hose clamps for a supposed bolt on. I also had to cut the BOV dump tube down about an inch to fit the hose on it w/o it popping off. The whole intake pipe is crammed between the RRE UIC pipe and the puller fan. Don't get me wrong, the Dejon intake is a great piece of work and sounds soooo awesome when boosting and blowing off, just took some mods and muscles to get it to fit for me.

turbowop

Mine seemed to fit okay. It was tight between the puller fan and the rre piping but it doesnt rub anything. I just wish the pipe brought the filter closer to the fender. Oh well, it makes a nice place for a future water injection pump.
fc873a5e.jpg

fc873a63.jpg

fc873a65.jpg

Wow I didn't know rre made gvr4 pipes with a griffin core. haha sweet! How much did everything run you guys all together? and are you happy with your purchase?

The Griffen core w/Spearco top to bottom tanks (core is 6x18x3) cost $390. The pipe kit (mild steel, powdercoated) cost $370, and all the mounting kit (hose, brackets, clamps, bolts, etc.) cost $100.

Yes, I would say that I was satisfied, but not exactly happy. The pipes didn't fit as well as I would have liked, and mounting brackets for the core suck donkey balls. A few welds weren't as smooth as I would have liked on the inside, but that was nothing a few minutes w/a Dremel couldn't fix. I was using a Hawker battery (switched stock locations w/air can) and the more direct UIC pipe from RRE made things difficult, even for that tiny battery. I think I'm going to have to move it to the trunk (what size of wire did you use Mark?).

Would I buy it again? Probably... IMHO you're paying for the convenience of the research all being done for you. It's not quite a bolt on, but it's pretty damn close. You could do it all cheaper yourself, but that takes time. I would certainly not buy their mounting kit again, what a rip. The core is pretty sweet though... much bigger than stock, although there are bigger cores that come with kits. RRE will actually make you whatever core/end tank setup you want, but this was the kit "standard."

Still, at a total of $860, it beats other kits out there. You decide what's best for you. I'm not sure, but I think they all require cutting of the bumper.

Sweet, thanks. Any problems routing wire that size? What hole in the firewall did you use, or did you create your own? I put the 10awg wire for the fuel pump under the door trim, but it didn't look like there was room for anything a whole lot bigger...

turbowop

I used the large hole in the firewall on the passenger side behind the inner fender liner. From there I went under the carpet along the side to the trunk. I need to do it again on Friday with 8awg for my alternator wire to my kill switch.

How did you ground it? I did this to a friend's honduh and used 2awg running up for power, and just grounded it to the chassis in the trunk. This kinda irked me, but he didn't wanna run more wire... I think I'll use 2 or 4awg for power to the front, ground it in the chassis, and use the 10awg I've got run for the fuel pump as an additional ground to the stock ground point in the engine bay. Couldn't hurt.

Where did you get your circuit breaker, and for how much? How necessary do you think it is? The wire we used had a think insulator, plus a protective jacket around that so we didn't think it could realistically be ground through under all that carpet and trim, and even if that did happen wouldn't the stock main fuses just blow?

Maybe I'm just overlooking it, but was any trimming of the bumper or bumper support needed to fit the core in there? I found an i/c that I may very well buy (HKS), but I would rather not chop up the bumper or bumper support if I can help it (that may be a bit optimistic though). Anybody know how tall of an I/C will fit w/o needing to cut anything? The one I found is 8.5" tall.

number3

quote:Originally posted by theymightbegalants:
How did you ground it? I did this to a friend's honduh and used 2awg running up for power, and just grounded it to the chassis in the trunk. This kinda irked me, but he didn't wanna run more wire... I think I'll use 2 or 4awg for power to the front, ground it in the chassis, and use the 10awg I've got run for the fuel pump as an additional ground to the stock ground point in the engine bay. Couldn't hurt.

Where did you get your circuit breaker, and for how much? How necessary do you think it is? The wire we used had a think insulator, plus a protective jacket around that so we didn't think it could realistically be ground through under all that carpet and trim, and even if that did happen wouldn't the stock main fuses just blow?
Your Honda friend was right in the way he did his. The chassis is one huge ground "wire".

Using a wire longer than a 16" as a ground would be like using a motorcycle filter on a 4" intake pipe to your turbo. (The wire should be at the very least as big as the hot side, obviously)

The key is to make sure that the point on the chassis you pick is a strong ground (not a body panel glued or spot welded to chassis).

I know the chassis is the car ground. Very few things actually run back to the battery ground or even near it. I was not suggesting to use the 10awg wire as THE ground, merely to supplement the ground in the trunk by running up to the stock battery gound wire in the front. As our cars age and the chassis weakens and welds slowly fail or rust, the resistance in the chassis ground increases. I figured two was better than one.

turbowop

Theymightbegalants: I grounded it with 2awg wire to one of the mounting bolts on the rear shock tower. I sanded the paint down to bare metal for the connection and I've had zero problems with it.

Howard: I'm just gonna disconnect the alt wire at the fuse harness and extend it back to the switch from there. I will run another wire from the starter to where the alt wire was originally connected at the fuse harness to complete the circuit.

Johnny Bravo: Yes the bumper support needed to be cut substantially. Pretty much for any fmic you're gonna have to do some cutting of the support.

quote:Originally posted by turbowop:
I used the large hole in the firewall on the passenger side behind the inner fender liner. From there I went under the carpet along the side to the trunk. I need to do it again on Friday with 8awg for my alternator wire to my kill switch. Are you talking about replacing the main alternator wire with 8awg? If so, do you know where that connection goes? My wire is in really bad shape and in need of replacement, but I looked briefly and can't tell where it goes beyond the fender next to the radiator.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned