The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

flow master????

prove_it

Quoting curtis:
Chambered mufflers like flowmaster's and spintech's create a resonance freq which causes turbos to fail...Something about the harmonics and if the certain freq is sustained the turbine wheel can actually come apart.....No data to support said claim just what I've heard and read.

Interesting, so how does any factory turbo car get away with having a chambered muffler and not blow up the turbo?

Whistler

Quote:
Interesting, so how does any factory turbo car get away with having a chambered muffler and not blow up the turbo?

So you give some crap information, and now that your suggestions have come into question you are trying to argue pointlessly to somehow make yourself look better? Nice!

If you really want to continue the discussion, first name a turbo car that comes from the factory with an chambered muffler without packing material, like the Flowmaster. If you can not, STFU.

Disclaimer: Its been a long morning

Last edited:

I want your monster dark.

Prove it constantly giving fucked up info, just like kenny kline. They should both be put of probation for bad info.

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Staff member
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

JNR

Quoting curtis:
Chambered mufflers like flowmaster's and spintech's create a resonance freq which causes turbos to fail...Something about the harmonics and if the certain freq is sustained the turbine wheel can actually come apart.....No data to support said claim just what I've heard and read.

Is that true? Not disputing, but be interesting to learn about the specifics (never would've thought about it)...Does the sound frequencies then go back to the turbo, or something? I could see it with an STS type system (using a turbo after muffler, if they even retain it?)...

I am a fan of flowmasters and have been running them since the late 80's, but not sure they would sound good on a 4- or 6-cylinder application (provided the above is not true). I don't care about the 1 or 2 hp difference between mufflers, but do like the sound. (have large casing 3" 3-chamber duals on the 'velle and love it)

conquesttsi

I'm not sure about the sound thing but the back pressure from the baffles pushing on your turbo is not good. Also 1-2 hp difference for mufflers might hold true for n/a but for a turbo car it can be much more. Also another thing to note. I have noticed almost all mufflers sounding the same on our cars. Not sure why. Oval Straights are definatly quieter than the round style because they have more packing material.

Last edited:

bigblock4g63

i did one for a local guy here in jersey. he hated it. i like the borla xr1 muffers. not cheap but the best sound and hp i think. i have done alot of them on dsm and 1.8t

bustedsm

Quoting GVR4_1057:
I had one on back in the day. I like the magnaflow much more. It sounds smoother.

Agreed on the fact that magnaflow sounds much better.

gtluke

11-13-02: Ok, where do I start, lots of crap has happened. If you follow the turbomustangs board then you know about most of it. I re-ringed 3 cylinders, put in the new cam, heads, and intake and finally got the car running. During the downtime the tweecer also took a dump and is no longer working so I am borrowing a friends EEC tuner. Once it was running I was having the same boost problems as before. So I changed the reference point for the wastegate from the turbo to the intake manifold. Problem solved. Picked up 100 rwhp too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif At the same time I also had the flowmasters cut off and I put on the dynomax ultra flow catback. I dyno'd it before and after the same day at the same boost level. The muffler swap netted a gain of 25-30 rwhp and torque across the entire curve and it spooled a bit sooner too!! The car makes peak boost at 3200 rpm and it holds all the way to redline in case you were wondering.

click

prove_it

Well I learned something new. Wow we are all human. I love how when we ask questions or try to make points or actually DISCUSS things now makes obscene comments......

Anyways since it's decided that chambered mufflers cause either a resonance or backpressure issue that is bad for turbos, then I'd like to know whats the best way to quiet a turbo exhaust without being a straight pipe?

Not all of us care about huge numbers, some of us do like it a bit quiet cause we love our sleeper car.

So what muffler would do the best without so called damage?

Lonewolf64

You could go with a 2.5inch turboback system if you don't care as much about "big numbers" and it will be significantly quieter. Also, what worked very well for me is I have a dynomax bullet style muffler/resonator welded in line in my system. It makes the exhaust a lot quieter.

curtis

Thats enough info out there in physics books and internet that I'm not going super in depth but if you watch the video below alot will be explained. Guy shows the different resonance for 2 different dia of pipe. Now if you have a dual exhaust that is a perfect true duals with bends in the mirror image of each other you can actually face the two outlet ends toward each other and at a certain perfect distance apart there actually wouldn't be any sound being made. Now if you could tune it and have an instantaneous way to lenghten and shorten the tail pipes dependent on rpm and load the exhaust would make no noise. How trick would that be no muffler and zero sound but boost, load etc would have to be taken into effect and you would have to have a bad ass processor to keep up with all the algorithms produced.

Companies use this technology and principle when designing intake and exhaust manifolds. Sound and air flow react in the same way so if the resonance frequency is maximized to a certain rpm like torque peak, hp peak and or torque and hp both your intake will flow like a monster and make more power than any other design. There is other variables like Heimholts Ram effects, velocity, temperature and others.

you tube resonance video

prove_it

right I'm aware of these physics, So is this what causes turbines to fail? I am more than eager to find out the truth. I hope we can figure it out. Does it happen over time or is it a slow thing? I'm just one of those people that believe everything and don't believe anything at the same time. I know that sound itself can be damaging, but turbines are tough little bastards. This thread really interests me and I would like to know the truth. In other words can someone prove that a chambered muffler would be harmful to the turbo?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned