The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo X

BpuVR4

So one of my younger friends (who i consider my kid brother) is upgrading his Evo X w some basic mods like hard pipes, exhaust and tune for 350whp. I know there has been a GVR4 vs Evo 8/9 convo...wondering what you guys think of the X, and more importantly what a GVR4 needs to be modded with to compare. Im still on 2g mas/560/190/E316G setup.

James

Walbro 255, set up on the turbo and a good tune. Some mild cams wouldn't hurt either for some good power to cost ratio.

Problem is you still might lose to technology. Just advances in suspension and AWD technology, ecu computing, ect.

BpuVR4

guess i forgot to state my car sits on Evo 8 suspension and has 272 cams...this is all just hard thinking though. I always liked the X- which is why my friend got it, but I feel like it's not as respected as the previous versions.

LIV4PSI

The EVO X is heavy, and they got rid of the 4G63. I'm one of those people who fell it is not being in the same league as previous EVOs.

What are you trying to compare with the VR4? Drag racing, auto-x, road courses, etc? You should be able to outrun him in a straight line with a 16g, but that is it.

Last edited:

BpuVR4

just overall street capabilities i suppose...and im old enough where i just enjoy putting miles on this thing (was able to put 1k on it the past 3wks)..however straight line pull is where my heart is at, which full streetability. I admit it's a great vehicle...of course very modern...deep down i just dont wnat the X to pull on me. haha mostly i'd like to drive it and keep it from breaking.

JamesFoster

I think an Evo X would be a nice daily driver, if you get rid of the ostentatious wing that is. My only problem with them is that most of the Evo X crowd seems to be pretty cocky and very dismissive of all cars but Evo X's. That and 99% of them don't even know what a Galant VR-4 is... No joke, an Evo X owner told me, "Nice Beamer." To which I replied, "Huh? that's a Mitsubishi dude!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

89Mirageman

^ I guess the ricer in me thinks that the huge spoiler is just part of the Evo heritage. To me they look naked w/o the spoiler and it's what makes them an evo.

Jesus_Negros

It is heritage. Also, most people in general dont know what a gvr4 is including evo owners. I've met a lot that did though. The evo x is awesome. Just a few bolt ons and new tune is the best thing u can do. If you can get it to about 350ft lbs you have its sweetspot. The interior sucks though. Also, 2011 is the best model year.

BpuVR4

Quoting JamesFoster:
I think an Evo X would be a nice daily driver, if you get rid of the ostentatious wing that is. My only problem with them is that most of the Evo X crowd seems to be pretty cocky and very dismissive of all cars but Evo X's. That and 99% of them don't even know what a Galant VR-4 is... No joke, an Evo X owner told me, "Nice Beamer." To which I replied, "Huh? that's a Mitsubishi dude!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

i wish i could say i'm surprised...but to be honest, i've never had any Mitsubishi driver acknowledge me on the street, at least with current VR4. I did get a thumbs up and "nice" from a F250 driver once though.

slugsgomoo

Quoting LIV4PSI:
The EVO X is heavy, and they got rid of the 4G63. I'm one of those people who fell it is not being in the same league as previous EVOs.

What are you trying to compare with the VR4? Drag racing, auto-x, road courses, etc? You should be able to outrun him in a straight line with a 16g, but that is it.

Have you actually driven one? The 4B11 is quite capable, and frankly if you'd driven the IX & X both, you'd realize that while heavier, it's a vastly better car, on the street I think it's hard to beat for fun times.

Jesus_Negros

The 4b11 takes simple mods very well too. I think the X out handled both VIII and IX in the typical test. Just heavier and not as quick to the 0-60 which means nothing.

JamesFoster

Quoting 89Mirageman:
^ I guess the ricer in me thinks that the huge spoiler is just part of the Evo heritage. To me they look naked w/o the spoiler and it's what makes them an evo.

I know it's heritage, I just don't like the looks. Meh.

JamesFoster

Quoting Turbro_Negro:
It is heritage. Also, most people in general dont know what a gvr4 is including evo owners. I've met a lot that did though. The evo x is awesome. Just a few bolt ons and new tune is the best thing u can do. If you can get it to about 350ft lbs you have its sweetspot. The interior sucks though. Also, 2011 is the best model year.

Yeah, I understand that. Still though, It's just funny to me that people that are very into Mitsubishi cars don't know what a gvr4 is. Don't get me wrong, I like the car, just not all the owners. Just like every car, lol.
Why is 2011 the best model year?

LIV4PSI

Quoting slugsgomoo:

Have you actually driven one? The 4B11 is quite capable, and frankly if you'd driven the IX & X both, you'd realize that while heavier, it's a vastly better car, on the street I think it's hard to beat for fun times.

I have only driven an EVO VIII, but that wouldn't change my opinion. Of course the X is a very capable, super fun street car. It's still an EVO. Creature comforts aren't high on my priority list when buying a 'sports' car. I like the raw feeling of the older models, and how you can tell they weren't made for mass appeal. It was a car built strictly for enthusiasts.

89Mirageman

I've never had the pleasure of driving any Evo sadly. But I'd be happy with any of them. If I could choose, it would be an Evo 3. Talk about a huge spoiler James /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I'm just a Mitsu guy at heart. I think they're all awesome cars in their own way.

slugsgomoo

Quoting LIV4PSI:
Quoting slugsgomoo:

I have only driven an EVO VIII, but that wouldn't change my opinion. Of course the X is a very capable, super fun street car. It's still an EVO. Creature comforts aren't high on my priority list when buying a 'sports' car. I like the raw feeling of the older models, and how you can tell they weren't made for mass appeal. It was a car built strictly for enthusiasts.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate stripped down mojo free from interference and creature comforts, but the truth is, the X is a better driver's car. The computers are pretty clever, but when you turn 'em all off the car is pretty exceptional with stock suspension and tires.

TurboTurtle

From driving my GVR4. a friends stock evo 8 and his brothers built 9, when i test drove the 10, i wasnt a fan. For me it dosn't even seem like an evo and locally theres alot of auto x's with 8/9's being the 10s with ease.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned