The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

evo III big 16g porting

icurunnin

well I ported my e3 O2 housing without any problems and it turned out great. Now I went to port my e3 big 16g and it demolished my bits it no time flat without even leaving a mark. Now this is suppose to be some newer turbine housing that is less prone to cracking with a higher nickel grade. What bit is anyone here using to port these damn things? If their fp race manifold is made of the same stuff (which its suppose to be) I sure am glad it doesnt require any porting.

Kenny_Kline

Get a decent carbide bit made for cast iron. Expect to spend a decent amount of time on that hotside.

If you want, ship our hotside to me and I will port it out. I get bored at work somedays and need something to do. I have ported a bunch of these.

icurunnin

I bought a set of four carbide bits from sears and they did great on the O2. I dont know if they are cheap or what. they did great and still looked new after the O2 and as soon as I started porting the e3 housing it rounded them all (count 4) out.

fivestardsm

Well obviously you are going to need new bits..I usually use stone bits on the harder stuff. They work a lot better and are cheaper. Just plan on getting a few of them.

So when you get them and try it again, if you are using the carbide burrs, try grinding at a little bit lower air-pressure. But this really depends on the Quality of bit you use tho. A really high quality bit, dosen't need to spin at full speed. On the harder material exspecially, the teeth just graze off the harder surface without grabing any material, this is why I use the stone bits.

FYI, you were wondering if the sears ones you bought were cheap, one of the carbide bits I have cost $70, and I have had it for 20 years since I was in high school.

Last edited:

icurunnin

I will buy some stone bits now and give those a try at it. I may lower my air pressure to slow things down a bit. I guess I will buy another set of carbide bits and go at a slower speed too and see what results I get. thanks for the tip Steve.

fivestardsm

What kind of air compressor are you running, and what is the Max press,and Working pressure? This will make a difference as well. Also, what kind of die-grinder?

icurunnin

campbell hausfeld 5hp 20 gallon
6.3 scfm @ 90
8.2 scfm @ 40

die grinder is a campbell hausfeld with a requirement of
6.2 average at 90 psi

I just bought the compressor for porting and it does all right for what it is. Its better then having to drive to friends shops and use their air. plus its the biggest I could get scfm wise before going to a 220 volt unit which I have no plug for. the one thing I do miss about my old husky unit was its larger 26 gallon tank. but it was very weak (even new) for pressure a with a 3.7 scfm rating at 90psi and 5 somthing at 40psi.

fivestardsm

Well then, you probably shouldnt turn the air down to much. You can try it and see what it does, Hell test with the speeds/air press. With the stone bits tho, you want it to be as fast as the d-grinder will spin.

Barnes

These things absolutely eat through metal and stay sharp. The TiN ones are where it's at. Kinda pricey, but worth it. Just find the size and shape you like.

SGS Burs

fivestardsm

^^ Couldnt get the link to work..^^

Kenny_Kline

You will need more than a 20 gallon to get the job done in any reasonable amount of time.

Spray wd40 on the bit and porting surface to help lube and cool. Makes a big difference.

Barnes

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Goto www.mscdirect.com and search for "sgs tin double cut" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

icurunnin

Quoting Kenny_Kline:
You will need more than a 20 gallon to get the job done in any reasonable amount of time.

Spray wd40 on the bit and porting surface to help lube and cool. Makes a big difference.

pb blaster should work the same correct? I am not a huge fan of wd 40. I will give both a try and see how it goes.

cOmpressor

PB works fine, sucks if you get some in the eye though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned