The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ETS Intercooler Problems Help!

Hey everybody, I have been installing my ets kit and seem to have everything together. The problem is now when I drive the car it sputters under acceleration. It is fine if I am driving slowly but when I step on the gas and get up to more boost the car hesitates and makes a pop-pop sound (it does not sound like a backfire). Please give me any help you can. Thanks.

tsiboy

sounds like typical boost leak. check all your hose claps and vac lines. if nothing looks out of place, then your going to have to go to home depot and build yourself a boost leak tester.

prove_it

make sure that when you put the couplers on your getting past the bead and clamping firmly about a quarter inch behind the bead. My guess is you forgot a clamp or didn't seat it right and it popped.

Did you cover the outlets with tape or anything? A buddy did an ic install and left ducttape on the cold side by mistake and put all the piping back together. We couldnt figure out why it didnt build boost and then it let go. Imagine our surprise when we checked the piping and found that. Ehhh. What do you do.

Last edited by a moderator:

onesickcrx

Did you install a gm maf/ maf translator or a new blow of valve at the same time?

I did not install any new maf or blow off valve. I just used the original intake and blow off valve. I swear that everything is tight and I sealed off all vacuum lines. Is there anything else that I could be missing?

1990ggsxnj

That sounds exactly like when I turbocharged my first eclipse. I didn't have the Turbo ecu yet and decided to try and see what low boost would do. When I floored it, the a/f went WAAAAAAAAAY lean and it sputtered...once open loop kicked in (I guess) the a/f went back up and it took off. Do you have an a/f gauge set up? Pressure test the intake? Check your fuel pressure?

I am confused by what is causing this since the car ran perfectly before I changed out the intercooler. I do not have an a/f gauge setup nor have I check the fuel pressure.

1990ggsxnj

Is it possible the intercooler has a leak?

1990ggsxnj

Nevermind, you said when it starts to hit more boost. All the piping is the same accept for the Intercooler? Are you sure all of the vacuum lines were connected correctly? Especially the wastegate actuator line.

Last edited:

The piping is the ETS kit with the original OEM intake. There are three vacuum hose that came off the original system correct? I was I right in plugging two of them and using the other as the one that hooks up the blow of valve?

1990ggsxnj

Hmm... Do you have any boost source going to the wastegate actuator?

icurunnin

you should have three lines coming off the stock intake unless you have removed them and plugged them off. one is to you fuel canister purge, one is to the valve cover vent tube, and one is actually on the air filter canister for you stock bcs.
also look into the how to section and look for the vacuum line diagrams we have. our cars some with a ubber gay setup that ties the bov and bcs together. remove all the extra vacuum lines and then perform a boost leak test.
I know on this last ETS kit I installed I had severe boost leaks but non of which were my install. it seems that the tb elbow pipe had a fracture in the pipe at the flange and had two holes in the welds around the flange. I talked with Michael at ETS and he is going to send me a new elbow and appologized for the issue.
your not venting your 1g bov are you? they leak and cause all kinds of problems which is why I just switched to a hks.
do a boost leak test and see what you find.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned