The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tried a Boost Leak Test Now What?

Hey guys, I tried a boost leak test and tightened/fixed all small leaks in the system but the problem is it is still loosing power/popping at around 3,500-4,000 rpm. What else can I test and look for? For those of you that have not seen this before I only installed an ETS intercooler kit with the stock intake system and now the car is running weird. Thanks again for the help.

cOmpressor

Wouldn't that be evident during the boost leak test? Either way check the ignition system and do you have a logger?

Does it still pop if you turn the boost down? What tuning tools do you have? Logger? Wideband?
What other mods do you have? What airflow meter?

OK I just read your other post, and it sounds to me like you are hitting fuelcut. Do you have a REAL boost gauge? How did you handle reconnecting the BCS solenoid, since the original intercooler pipes have a Tee that averages the pressure directly off the turbo with another nipple post-intercooler? It sounds to me like you don't have that connected properly, and its creating a leak that is allowing your boost to keep rising. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
If your new IC pipes only have one nipple, you need to remove that Tee, so you only have the one Tee that connects your IC boost source to both the BCS solenoid and the wastegate.

Thanks for all of the responses. The car is literally stock other than the ETS kit and the 3" exhaust. I do not have any logger or other software. I do have a boost gauge but I have not installed it yet. As for the lines the original "T" is still there I just closed off the other ends of the hoses, but I will try just a single longer line to see if that makes any difference.

If you aren't sure, just connect a hose directly from the intercooler pipe nipple to the turbo wastegate. You *should* get the stock wastegate pressure of only 7 psi of boost.

Alright, there are no "T's" in the lines any more just one straight from the part that is on the stock air box to the wastegate. The car is still acting the same, however, I did hook up the boost gauge and it is showing when I get into it that the boost is going up over 25lbs. Could that actually be right and causing my problems? Btw there is no nipple on my intercooler piping to connect directly where should that be located?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alright well I finally got it. It was the line that runs to the wastegate it was not where it was supposed to be. Thanks to all of those that helped me out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned