The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

engine rebuild

ktmrider

Hate to suggest it chris but I would hit DSMTuners for the info you need. They deal with the 6/7 bolt deltas waaay more than this site does.
Even the VFAQ/RRE covers quite a bit of ground regarding these swaps.

chrisb33

ktmrider,

Thanks for the advice. Got what i needed to know from the tuners hahaha. And ive decided to do the 6bolt route /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif woohooo!

To the turbo gurus:

there's this craze over at the dsmtuners about holset turbos. claims to be more fast spooling, more efficient, more top end, virtually indestructible, AND a lot cheaper than its big MHI and garret counterparts.

Most of them buy it used and cheap, the turbos have either t3 or t4 compressor housings, and if you want to have a bolt on mitsu housing, BEP makes them especially for Holset.

does anyone of you have experience in these turbo? anyone selling a used one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

chris b

chrisb33

well i think im going to bite the bullet on this one. Got it fairly cheap. the holset hx35 can do 60lb/min of air, has been proven to spool to 20 psi at 3500ish!

here are some pics. I have to swap the turbine housing to a BEP mistu housing though in order to fit our stock intake mani.

If im not mistaken this particular hx35 variant flows nearly the same as an FP red!

Have to clean her up i know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

chris b

You can add a knock sensor to a nt block; the sensor boss is cast in, but needs to be drilled and tapped.

One of your build lists had upgraded springs and retainers; if you're still going that route why not get some FP 1x or 2x cams? They'll outflow the stockers to help you get your 400 horses, and the aggressive ramp profiles will give good performance at medium revs. I think BC also makes similarly aggressive cams.

chrisb33

Update. Sent my hx35 to a recommended turbo rebuilder at the tuners. He's a stand up guy and very nice to talk to. His name is Justin. Here are some pics of the rebuild:

Cleaned up compressor housing:

Next to a small 16g:

Next to a holset hx40 (blue on the left)

compressor covers removed:

Hx35 compressor wheel compared to a garret 50 trim compressor

Original Holset rebuild kit:

With the brand new Bullseye Power DSM Bolt on turbine housing:

Pictures c/o Justin.

Next on the list - Main and Rod bearings, ARP main, rod, and head bolts, Metal head gasket.

chris b

Last edited:

chrisb33

ok guys. just and update: so far the parts that ive gathered for these past couple of years are the following:

1. hx35 7 blade with bep bolt on turbo
2. 38mm external wastegate
3. prosport gauges: boost, oil temp, oil pressure
4. dsmlink v2
5. hks mushroom filter
6. big fmic
7. oem 2g pistons with new rings
8. meth kit with m7 nozzle
9. lower shores mbc
10. coil on plug (c/o) curtis
11. custom cold air intake
12. 2g maf
13. custom made dual catch can
14. custom made stainless steel meth tank
16. adjustable fuel pressure regulator
17. stainless steel brake and clutch lines
18. walbro 255hp fuel pump

im planning to relocate the meth system inside the car to clean up the engine bay and to be able to monitor leaks on the system. the pump will probably go under the dash on the foot panel on the passenger side, while my two 4 liter tanks will be mounted at the back of the front seats in between the glove box.

im going to take welding classes so i will probably make my own smim and exhaust manifold.
once i order my bearings, arp hardware, forged rods and pistons, im sending over the block to the machine shop.

il do some mild porting on the head and do the oil port modification that the tuners have been doing to eliminate lifter tick. i have the complete right up so if someone is interested in doing the same just let me know your email and il send them to you.

im still saving up for a lot of important parts such as:

1. the bc cams, springs, and retainers
2. adjustable cam gears (do i really need this?)
3. fic 850cc injectors
4. fidanza 3.2 clutch kit
5. h&r lower spring (no money for coil overs and this is just a daily driver/weekend warrior anyway)

now while waiting for all of the other parts to arrive i was thinking of upgrading my tank to fuel rail lines and the return line to tank. i'll do it the braded stainless steel hose route so i dont need to worry about the bending of hard tubes. the question is (and i tried searching) what would be the appropriate ID for the feed and the ID of the return line? i'll only be using pump gas fyi.

thanks guys.

chris b

Last edited:

I've heard that Holset turbos on the 4g63 have oiling issues due to pressure. Might want to look into that a bit. (pressure re-stricter for oil feed)

Jesh

well stock fuel lines should be fine, unless you want alot more than stock out of your engine. in which case your entire fuel system will need to be upgraded. what am i saying? you already knew that lol :p

chrisb33

yeah but i dont know what size of tubes im going to use for the tank to filter and return. does the return line have to be the same size as the feed line?

slugsgomoo

you can run the factory feed for your return if you don't think the factory return will allow you to drop the pressure enough. Unless you're going to make a lot more power than an HX-35 can produce in the future, going beyond -6 is probably pointless.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned