The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

engine rebuild

chrisb33

does anyone have any experience with ebay turbo's? saw this tdo6 turbo. Supposedly its made by a company called GODSPEED. dont know their rep or the quality of their turbo's but it's damn cheap for a TDO6 20G!

I have read in DSM forum that around 8 of 10 (somewhere close to that) turbo ebay buyers (especially EVO III 16g's) are happy with their purchase. Has its durability and have been running them for thousands of miles with no shaft play at all.

their main concern though were the install kits. they were all wrong.

I on the other hand would not need any install kits, i just need the turbo. so i emailed the vendor asking about warranties and rebuild services options just in case it breaks. still waiting for their replies.

OT, do you guys know where i can have a turbo rebuilt (a shop that doesnt care if it the turbo was bought from them or not?)

chris b

ktmrider

Read the DSM forum closer and check the dates Chris, the very first knock off were listed as "GT" models. These had a decent rep and were of better quality.
The latest run of copies are horrendous, I would put the failure rate at 80% or greater. These are sold for as little as $150 bucks including gaskets and bolts.
Just friendly advice, YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! So many folks are posting on these cheap models and hoping someone will say how great they are while 100 others warn against.

chrisb33

ayt guys will keep that in mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif thanks for the friendly warning. Yeah, too good to be true, cheap, powerful, reliable turbo. That rarely exists. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

chris b

screw the ebay junk.. if you decide make sure you block the water passages off. This is my first 4g63 and everyone told me the evo3 on the street is unbeatable. You can get a new MHI evo3 for like 550-600.. then spend the rest on some other supporting mods.

eb96c7c6.jpg

MHI turbo's ftw.

Last edited by a moderator:

no problem.. 22psi sounds like a good number to run. Also... my evo3 has not even been ported yet so there is even more room for improvment. My buddy has the 'newer' ebay evo3 on his 2g gsx auto.. and its crap... laggy and just doesnt wana run right. My moto... do it right the first time so you can have more time to play and less downtime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif good luck and let us know how your build goes. I'll have plently of videos when she is runing to show ya how fun a real evo3 is to drive on the streets.

btw... wana raid some junk yards over there and hook us USDM guys up with some jdm goodies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisb33

Quoting chris:
no problem.. 22psi sounds like a good number to run. Also... my evo3 has not even been ported yet so there is even more room for improvment. My buddy has the 'newer' ebay evo3 on his 2g gsx auto.. and its crap... laggy and just doesnt wana run right. My moto... do it right the first time so you can have more time to play and less downtime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif good luck and let us know how your build goes. I'll have plently of videos when she is runing to show ya how fun a real evo3 is to drive on the streets.

btw... wana raid some junk yards over there and hook us USDM guys up with some jdm goodies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sure just let me know what you guys need and il try my best to hook you up with some jdm parts. email me at [email protected] guys. Best way to get in touch with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chris b

chrisb33

Im still kinda stuck on what to get an FP18G or a Big EVO III 16g.

The 18G flows about 600cfm and has the new TD06Sl2 turbine wheel

The EVO III on the other hand flows about 550cfm (dont know if it uses the TD06 or 05 turbine wheel though.)

will 50cfm and the new TD06sl2 turbine really make a big difference? $200 worth of difference?

again my goal is 400++whp and im using a meth kit using 100% meth. Im also toying with the idea of adding another nozzle pre turbo.

dont want to do clipping, but porting i can do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chris b

Last edited:

chrisb33

Need your inputs guys. I'm now gathering my parts list for the head for my engine rebuild:

so far what im thinking is:

1. BC valve springs and titanium retainers
2. BC 272/272 cams
3. Fidanza cam gears

a few questions:

1. is 272 cams overkill for an FP18g turbo? if not what do you suggest?
2. are cam gears worth it even if i upgrade my cams?

TIA.

chris b

chrisb33

update: my pistons have arrived /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif thanks myles!!!!

(it's a brand new NPR 2g piston)

now for the turbo...FP is having a sale on their FP18g right now so im trying very hard to come up with the funds to buy that freakin turbo before the sale ends.

I took out my sound system in the car and hopefully will be able to sell all of them soon to raise funds needed. Wish me luck!

chris b

Telecaster

I recommend a 264/264 cam also. If you're going to use this as a daily, it will be better suited (especially in the streets of manila). Top end is worthless, unless you go to BRC or SIR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Who will be doing your machine work?

Last edited:

chrisb33

ok will do some more research on cams. to tell you the truth, that's the only part of the whole engine system that i dont understand much YET. As for the streets of manila you are definitely correct /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i cant even boost 15psi on daily driving except when im passing South Super Highway. And even then, i can only sustain probably 15 seconds or so due to traffic.

I like the idea of having more top end though because i also travel (from time to time) going to tagaytay, batangas, and subic. Have you ridden the new highway going to subic? my gosh! looooong endless road! no cars!!!! I can only wish that there would be some Subies on that road when im there to give them a run for their money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

as for the machine shop, my local mechanic always suggests AER or Precision. For exhausts i always use Ex-manila.

chris b

Dialcaliper

I think the difference between the two turbos is that magical 400hp mark you're shooting for - getting an Evo III there requires a very good setup, but the 18G should stretch far enough with less effort and money invested. The 18G compressor is a bit better on higher boost, but I think the better flowing 6SL turbine wheel will make more difference than the actual choice of compressors. The Evo III is a TDO5H wheel, the FP18G is a TD06SL wheel (not to be confused with the bigger TD06 or TD06H wheels)

Quoting chrisb33:
Im still kinda stuck on what to get an FP18G or a Big EVO III 16g.

The 18G flows about 600cfm and has the new TD06Sl2 turbine wheel

The EVO III on the other hand flows about 550cfm (dont know if it uses the TD06 or 05 turbine wheel though.)

will 50cfm and the new TD06sl2 turbine really make a big difference? $200 worth of difference?

again my goal is 400++whp and im using a meth kit using 100% meth. Im also toying with the idea of adding another nozzle pre turbo.

dont want to do clipping, but porting i can do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chris b

Telecaster

Quoting chrisb33:
ok will do some more research on cams. to tell you the truth, that's the only part of the whole engine system that i dont understand much YET. As for the streets of manila you are definitely correct /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i cant even boost 15psi on daily driving except when im passing South Super Highway. And even then, i can only sustain probably 15 seconds or so due to traffic.

I like the idea of having more top end though because i also travel (from time to time) going to tagaytay, batangas, and subic. Have you ridden the new highway going to subic? my gosh! looooong endless road! no cars!!!! I can only wish that there would be some Subies on that road when im there to give them a run for their money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

as for the machine shop, my local mechanic always suggests AER or Precision. For exhausts i always use Ex-manila.

chris b

Yup, so top end is useless when traveling on our roads here. 264/264 gives a mid range boost where you can actually use it everyday. I go to Precision for my machine work also. Next week i'll be there again for my cylinder head rebuild. My galant and evo both use hks 264/272.

chrisb33

ey telecaster thanks for the advice. sadly i checked bc's website and they dont offer 264's!!! anyway il be shopping around for other brands. Hopefully i can find one that's in the same price range as BC.

OT. I'd really like to see your vr4 as there are only a few who have one here in our country. Do you have a cardomain or a website showcasing your vr4 and evo? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif id really like to see them. what evo do you have?

how long will you be here in the Philippines? lets meet up on of these days.

chris b

chrisb33

Quoting Dialcaliper:
I think the difference between the two turbos is that magical 400hp mark you're shooting for - getting an Evo III there requires a very good setup, but the 18G should stretch far enough with less effort and money invested. The 18G compressor is a bit better on higher boost, but I think the better flowing 6SL turbine wheel will make more difference than the actual choice of compressors. The Evo III is a TDO5H wheel, the FP18G is a TD06SL wheel (not to be confused with the bigger TD06 or TD06H wheels)

yeah ive been reading a lot about the evo16g's over at the dsmtuners and you are correct (and i agree) that getting past that 400whp will max out the evo16g. Although it's a very popular turbo for the streets, it still has it limits. Although a number of them at the tuners have reached well over 400whp, they are more of the exception rather than the rule.

Hope i can really raise the funds needed to take advantage of the FP18g sale before it ends soon!

chris b

chrisb33

update on my build:

Stuff purchased:

1. 2g NPR Pistons
2. 2g NPR Piston Rings
3. COP set up c/o curtis (Payment pending, sorry curtis)
4. Lowershores MBC

Next on my list is turbo.

Anyway, i think ive posted this on another thread but would like to confirm if this would be a better route for me:

I have a spare N/A 6bolt long block right now. should i use this instead of my 1g 7bolt block? As far as i know, the crank and rods of N/A is the same for turbo. And i know also that i can use my 2g pistons on 6bolt rods (requires machining) and would even be better because of higher compression.

my question is, will all my other parts from the existing engine like oil pump, water pump, fit on to the 6bolt block? What other work will be involved? Or should i just stick with rebuilding my 1g 7bolt block?

N/A's dont have knock sensors right? Can i install a knock sensor on a N/A block?

Im planning to change my clutch kit, flywheel, bearings, studs anyway so those parts wont be a problem coz i have yet to place an order for them.

your expert advice and inputs would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

chris b

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned