The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

electrical issue (Tail light fuse under hood)

RHDgalantVR4

so for no reason all of a sudden I am blowing 10amp taillight fuses like crazy never had this problem before. Noticed that the fuse block under hood is getting hot as I have never had this problem maby this is normal?

Andy_S

There is a short. Check the bulbs out first, then move on if everything looks good there. Maybe some insulation rubbed off somewhere.

RHDgalantVR4

so I put a 15amp fuse in for a short time (no pun intended) and wala smoke in the car. Faulty dimmer switch!! Now i need to find out if USDM ans JDM are the same anyone know?

gtluke

unplug the 3rd brake light, retry. There is a connector on the left side under the speaker area thingy. It's the weird looking wire sheathed in plastic.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Since the issue is with the parking light circuit, and the magic smoke came out of the dimmer area 'o life...

... I'd start there ...

The tailights and instrument panel lights share the same fuse.

It's quite likely your problem is in the gauge/illumination area of the circuit, given the fact that the dimmer went up in smoke.

Got any boost, egt, or other gauge illumination circuits tapped into the instrument panel lighting circuit?

Made any changes to the wiring there recently?

Unplug the dimmer rheostat, and put a ten amp fuse back in the circuit, and do a light check.

If the fuse survives this test, the issue is in the instrument panel illumination circuit. I would start checking anything aftrmarket first, and then just start checking the harness and bulbs that are controlled by the dimmer. You'll probably see a wire that's all crinkly/wrinkly, that's the one that's been carrying all the current. Follow it to the end and you've probably found the problem.

If the fuse pops immediately when you power up the light, you'll have to check deeper into the rest of the tailight circuit.

edit never subsitute a higher fuse rating to troubleshoot a circuit!

You're lucky if all you fried was the dimmer.

I've seen whole wiring harnesses get smoked playing fast and loose with the fuse ratings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

don't do it

Last edited:

RHDgalantVR4

pulled the 15 put 10 took dimmer out of the mix no more issues. Dash lights don't work without the dimmer in the loop. Tail lights and everything else still works fine.

toybreaker

iconoclast
There ya go, now you know where to look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned