The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

E74A (prototype?)-E84A VR4

One question. Those 16 inch AEZ rims on the E74A was factory default wheels? It has mitsu covers too.
My other VR4:
201007104.jpg

201007102.jpg

curtis

look at the dollar bill in the picture above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

This dark gray car is E84A with every paper clear.
The silver one is the E74A with the strange VIN.

RedTwo

Well I concur that the car is probably a Japanese one, ASA-Europe doesn't have E74As at all!
It may infact be a practice/sample car as you suggest! There is that Evo 8 sample car that some guy in the USA got his hands on that had something like 9999999999 as the VIN.
I would have thought this kind of car would be destroyed shortly after main production began /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

All two cars are hardcore JDM.
I know the life E84A, but I don't know anything about the E74A. I must have escaped from crushing as fuel said before.
I am very happy and very proud about having this kind of car.
Until some ninjas come to kill me from japan and take the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Here in Europe, I never seen E84A VR4 with LHD. It can happen that it was available in some dealers, but nobody buy them.

Guys, I have to start asking questions.

So, I have my daily drive car, a Dynamic4 E39 Galant.
I want to put the 6A12TT+W5M33 to it.
We have looked the cars with my mechanic, he said that it is possible, but with lot of money and lot of work.
So, if anyone has any experience about this, please share with me.

Honestly, i wouldn't do it...

The 4G63 has way more potential than the 6a12tt.
If you wan't a V6 go with the 6a13tt, same size...

I love the sound of 6A12 and the way it goes.
I try many 4G63T, small turbo, big turbo, it goes well, but only 4 cylinder, not so lovely sound, not so smooth, and always has problems (but I think 4G63 is a very long-life engine, no doubt about it, but here in Hungary, every friend of mine has problems because of turbocharging the 4 cylinder engine. The 6A12TT is factory default 240HP, enough for me now, later small changes and 300HP will be good in a long-term use).
6A13 won't rev that fast as the smaller 2.0L V6.
Everybody has 4G63T, you can buy parts for it almost every corner shops /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
It is booooring and too easy. And not close that smooth, like the V6. 6A13 is 180 degree turned, won't fit in 6G or 7G.
This is why I want to keep the 6A12.

I understand that you like the Sound, believe me i know...

But 300Hp is REALLY the upper limit for the stock engine, it's not build that strong.
And the 6a13 Fits in the 7G Galant, it was even sold, it was called the E88A.
Few of those have been sold, so you just need the front of a 8G.
Think most will fit without too much hassle.

I got a folder flying around somewhere here where even the E88A was in.

But keep us posted, very interesting.
Already on clubvr4 ? Many info there on the newer Galant VR4's

Regards,

Raymond

fuel

^^ The E88A was the 6G73 2.5L, it was only 160hp or thereabouts. The 6A13 didn't even exist until the 1996+ 8th gen Galant.

One thing to mention, the 6A12 has just one mount on the cambelt side of the engine and the other two mounts on the gearbox, and in the 7G and other cars (ie 91+ Mirage/Lancer etc) the front to rear crossmember is off to the one side to suit. With the 6G 4G63 having three mounts on the motor and just one on the gearbox the two roll stopper mounts will have to be fabricated or re-engineered somehow. The 6A12 block just doesn't have the provisions on the side for roll stop engine mounts to attach to. Given the E39A has two smaller front to rear support members instead of the FWD E33A having one large centrally mounted, perhaps you could shift along the front radiator side roll stopper mount further down the front crossmember beam, and if there is room on the rear steering rack crossmember beam attach the gearbox roll stopper mount there too. You'll be running quite tight for room for the rear turbo and downpipe between the block, rear crossmember and the driveshaft whereas the 7G was designed from the beginning to have the turbo and downpipe mounted there and there is a bit more room with a smaller rear crossmember etc.

I do like the sound of the 6A12 especially the MIVEC variants which happily spin up to 8000rpm, but if I were to put a V6 into the 6G it would have to be the 6G72, as the 6G72 came fitted to a number of 5th gen Galants and as the 6G shares almost all of its underpinnings/chassis with the 5G, you could theoretically mount a 6G72 (SOHC at least) into the 6G with factory mounts. Fitting a DOHC 6G72 might require massaging of the firewall and again perhaps a re-routed downpipe (or just one big single turbo mounted up front).

Thanks for clearing that up, looks the same though...
In the folder i mean the 6g72 and the 6a13...

But never the less the 7 & 8 gen Galants share a whole lot of parts.

But then again, almost anything is possible...

fuel

The 6G73 and 6A13 are hardly alike - there is a clear difference in looks between a 6A12/13 and a 6G72/73, and even more distinct differences mechanically. It's basically like the difference between the 4G63 and the 4G92/93 series which eventually replaced the Sirius and Saturn family engines.

The world-spec 8G platform is heavily based on the 7G and they basically share 99% of the suspension components with some subtle changes. The USDM 8G however ditched the multi link front suspension (as did the USDM 2G Diamante) in favour of macpherson strut similar to the 6G, possibly because the 7G suspension created more troubles than what it was worth. The engine/gearbox is not really interchangeable between 7G and 8G because of the reversed orientation, and the rear diff was mounted differently within the rear subframe cradle (for 4WD models obviously). The body is quite different though and many key points are re-engineered with high tensile steel areas, Mitsubishi called it 'RISE' and the process was prevalent on most late 90s onwards models.

Nice comments guys. I have some info known already, but You mentioned lots of new stuff.
Here in hungary we have lots of 6G72 engined 7G-s, with 4WD 4WS. That cars are the same with the VR4, except the engine and ecu. Everything else is fully interchangeable. My first thought when I have the first VR4 was to put the 6A12 engine to a hungarian registered 4WD 4WS 7G, and throw that 6G72 as far as I can. I drove one once, 163HP here those cars, that V6 is a disaster. In my opinion. And no turbocharge can change my opinion on that engine.

I saw some info about 2000 mivec V6 with turbocharge in the "wild" countries like NZ or Australia. They are fxcking interesting and lovely mods. Those engines are a legend here, and we know only two mivec engine (cyborg 1.6 and FTO 2000 V6) here (except EVOs mivec).
My dream to have one 2000V6 mivec once in my life. I would probably fall in love with the sound and charasteristic.
In my 6G, rotated engine is not an option, lots of money and lots of work.
So, I decided to sell my E39, and register the VR4 here. The proto VR4, hmm, I don't know what can I do with her.
We have put the cables and pipes back, and we have done everything to start it (to see if there is any problem, wich gasket fails, etc.)
So, to ignition, everything fine, no check engine, and everything worked except power antenna and the side mirrors. The car has the switch for the mirrors to close and to open, but the mirrors aren't electronic, just the mirror plate adjusting. So, another question to look after.
The center console is a big question at all. The previous owner throw away the original player, or stereo, or what you call it. And now, there are ~20 connectors that we cannot connect. I will have to find that kind of stereo, or control panel, to operate those unique functions the car has. Any idea? The center monitor wanted to light up, but it lost the vertical control, so we only see a colored line in the display. And wow, it is CRT, not a TFT. Very good, if we can fix it, I will love it.
Then we try to start, but murphy laws get in, so we realized, that our battery is out of juice. Nice. But the engine was turned nicely, and no errors at all.
So we will try tomorrow afternoon again.
And then, I have to find a two-place service garage to rip apart my two VR4s and decide wich parts are in better condition and wich are in not-so-good, and build up one VR4 that I will keep and register.
Then I am afraid, that I have to sell the proto VR4, because I will need a lots of money for further operations and registering process.
Fxcking country and fxcking laws, I very hate them.
I am thinking about to move abroad soon, and I have Nz in my mind, my father was there once, and he fall in love with NZ. Worth a try, You are good guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If there is any progress, I willpost it!

I have just received an e-mail from an EU Mitsubishi Customer service about the car.
They said, that the vehicle is unknown to their system. Wow, they looked CAPS.
Nice.
They want to know the exact position of the vehicle, to send out a technical guy for collecting some information.
I have sent my answer, I am waiting for reply.
I am curious what they can do about it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Now they will take your car and crush it because it probably was not supposed to ever be sold to the public.

Hope not though.

Of course, they will never find it, if I want so.
I try my best, thanks for Your advice.
But I am very curious what kind of technician will come to see the car, and what will he say...Probably some "Hmm..." and "Interesting.". Than the usual "We will contact You soon".
I won't let them to take away my little car. I have payed for it, and I want to restore it in it's nearly original condition. This method will be the best for everyone.
They have to send the ninjas if they want to crush my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

We tried to start the car. Sadly, we realized, that the fuel pump was dry for too long time, and have stuck, or rusted.
Now, I gave up trying to start this proto. I will focus to build a very good engine im my other car, register and drive it as I can.
If you have any suggestion, please share me.

Hello guys.
I was busy for some months, but now we have a big garage, so I can continue working on my VR4s.
Here are some pictures.
I have a very, very important question.
The user, who answers, what kind of turbo is this, gets a free candy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
turbo1
turbo2

Ooops, almost forgot.
I'm looking for some stuff for E74A VR4.
I need the factory standard car audio component.
It is the main unit in the dashboard, under that huge TV screen.
I have absolute no info or picture what it looks like.
As you see, my E74A is a bit of special, fully loaded with 10 speaker sound system, satnav, CD-changer, amp, TV-tuner, etc.
I have all kind of things already, but that main unit is missing, as you see in the pictures.
And, as I asked 2 posts before, please share some info about this car, because we don't know anything about this car.

Manufactured late 1991. All the "engineering sample" stickers has 1991.06-1991.12 dates on them.
If it's GTO turbos, it will be funny.
I'm looking forward to the weekend, when we will take my other proper VR4 apart, and I will compare those turbos side to side.

Some known differences:
VIN number cannot listed on caps or ASA
the turbo piping looks different
Turbos are different
No 4WS
much more lighter dashboard light (not yellowish, it's cool white-green.ish)
Lots of stuff inside-tvtuner, cd charger, amp, 10 speaker sound system, satnav, center console display, and missing head unit, that I'm looking for.
In the driver door, unknown electrical unit found
In the back, over the trunk (we call it hat-holder) it has something equipment that we don't know what is it for...
Light sensor in the top of the dash, don't know what it is for
Behind the glovebox, big red sign of high voltage, and electric hazard stuff, don't really know what it is, in my other VR4 we can't find any similar...
Different body kit
Etc.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned