The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

E316G bolt issue

jnava

Staff member
I was transferring oil lines, water lines and installing the 2g o2 on my e316g. Well, I eventually started to bolt the jpipe on and the screws seem to be too long. Has this happened to anyone? Well, I'm going to to cut and chamfer it, just wanted to know if anyone has encountered this problem.

Okayplayer

That is probably the case of the previous owner getting "custom" on the old turbo to make what he had work. Classic.

jnava

Staff member
At this point, the whole homemade o2 dump and small little details are understandable, they just seem out of place and I'm afraid what else I might find.

Okayplayer

Sometimes you have to get all Indiana Jones in the jungle on these cars. You must dig. You will certainly find other things that are wrong. This is almost like a rite of passage for these cars. That is the only way that you will get any reliability out of it. I learned the hard way too. Fast, cheap, reliable. Pick 2.

jnava

Staff member
I just want to get it right the first time so I don't have to spend twice. I've learned over the last few years that one's perception of stock might be different to another individual. Oh well, I'll post any new gems that show up..

Okayplayer

Keep at it. I have miles to go on my car, so I am right there with you. I do what I can with my expendable time and monies.

pauleyman

This is why I'll spend more on low mileage cars. None of my Mitsubishis ever had even one hardware store bolt on it anywhere. Everything was and is where it's supposed to be. If I'm the only one turning wrenches on it, it can't get screwed up because I won't allow it. Only the aftermarket stuff got anything that wasn't OEM and those pieces were thought out. Maybe this is why I've tolerated 24 years of this crap.

curtis

Quoting Okayplayer:
Sometimes you have to get all Indiana Jones in the jungle on these cars. You must dig. You will certainly find other things that are wrong. This is almost like a rite of passage for these cars. That is the only way that you will get any reliability out of it. I learned the hard way too. Fast, cheap, reliable. Pick 2.

What about Fast, expensive and breaks parts at will, oh thats when you go beyond a 16G... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jnava

Staff member
Low mileage gvr4's? I wish I had enough to drop for one. I think finding these issues lets me know more than any piece of paper of work done on the car could ever do. I've been needing to get myself working on the car and I've finally had some good one on one time with it. We will see.

jnava

Staff member

"What about Fast, expensive and breaks parts at will, oh thats when you go beyond a 16G."

so true with other cars as well.

Okayplayer

I wish I had the want/need to go big turbo wise. But I dig boost, and boost in a usable rev range. I have a 2.5 inch exhaust (huge, I know, I get that all the time) and when I want to get into it, I'd rather do so at say 3k-4k. I like low end power, call it the old SBC 350 in me.

curtis

My s362 schwitzer was at 18psi at 3400 and it wasn't a ball bearing unit. Big turbo's can spool fine as long as you do your homework.

Prime example Buddies car is a 3 series schwiter in a .82 BEP housing. This is a non extended tip straight from the diesel truck junkyard turbo on 15 to 17 range running off the wastegate no boost controller. He paid 150 for the turbo and I called wild bill from the junkyard and he said he could do us a housing so we got it. Car he's racing is a 347 mustang C6 9 inch rear on e85 and spray. Mustang went 6.42 at 107 in the 1/8 the next night, you can see the video of him running the mustang as well as the dyno video to the right of the video below.

You can here him pedaling the car he's not shifting until the last time when it hooked going into 4th brake lights come on at 145 to 150 range.

Yea yea I know street racing isn't cool yadda yadda but this was in Mexico at 3am only people that were out was the border patrol and they were making wagers.

click me

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned