The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

dsm link map sensor set up ?

bob92vr4

ok this may be a dumb question but i am about to purchase my dsmlink v3 and i know you can run now with a map sensor but if you do this do you completely elimnate the need for a maf or do you still need one?

i would think that it would completely eliminate the need for the Maf. i have seen some vehicles come factory with both a maf and map sensor. could be a failsafe or something. But still im sure it wouldnt be used at all for your application.

1990ggsxnj

Taken From click
"you'll want to use those wires off the MAF harness under the hood since that's where the IAT sensor is actually being installed. The wire colors are the same on the MAF connector as on the ECU harness."

I would think that if you are using the MAF wiring for another sensor, you're not going to utilize a MAF sensor within the same wiring.

Last edited:

1qkfwd

You would use the maf to help you dial in the sd tables. Without the maf the car may run poorly while trying to set up the tables and it could take a bit longer to get things dialed in. Im sure once you get the SD tables dialed in you can ditch the maf and continue tuning from there. Ive run V2 for years and this past year upgraded to V3 on my Talon. I bought it for my Vr4 just to run SD to try and free up some power running my pump gas build.

prove_it

The map sensor is for Speed density or for logging true boost only.

If you don't know enough about tuning I would stay away from running speed density. It can become troublesome to tune if your not skilled enough.

Other than that it's great to have so you can log the real boost pressure and make adjustments.

jb4

I believe it's a must have with Link ,even if you're not going to run SD. It helps a lot when dialing in MAF settings.

prove_it

It's not a requirement to have a MAP sensor. You can still tune without it, it just makes your airflow corrections more accurate.

jb4

^ I wasn't implying he "had" to have a map sensor run Link. Just stating my opinion that for something so valuable and inexpensive, why wouldn't you get one.

Last edited:

prove_it

You can use a Wideband sensor kit to dial in the airflow curve also. I don't run a MAP sensor and have tuned off a wideband and the accuracy is not too bad. As long as the wideband is calibrated well, you should not have any issues. I'm not saying a MAP is unnecessary, but I am only trying to state that it is not mandatory.

jb4

I agree, totally not necessary. However, having the ability to log boost for airflow calibration and having the option of switching to SD , along with the cost , to me(opinion) makes a map sensor a no brainer. I run both a WB and MAP with Link by the way.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned