The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dropping the front subframe

socalgvr4

Need some advice on what all has to come off, and perhaps order of events to drop the front subframe.

Looking to replace some brakelines that come from the rear to the front and its the only way....

MitchooO

Your best bet is to make the lines from a roll of brake tubing yourself, Thats alot of work not needed to replace them, But if your hell bent on trying to pull the subframe the best thing I can tell you is make sure the motor is on the other 2 side mounts good and start pulling the bottum arms and all the brackets in the way and go for the rest of the bolts and see what else is needed to come off.... I've never takin the front subframe out yet, Maybe next year lol

socalgvr4

Thanks for the reply...The reason for this, is the back was pretty badly rusted on the rear subframe and completely replaced.
Figured I'd go through the front replacing all of the bushing etc.

Lemme know if you or others have input into doing it.

tsiboy

i've done it twice. i dont recall the exact order of things but basically

unbolt steering column from the rack
remove steering rack
remove sway bar
unbolt control arms (at the subframe, no need to unbolt at the ball joint)
remove the two crossmembers
unbolt rear motor mount
remove transfercase
remove downpipe/exhaust
unbolt misc power steering lines bolted to subframe

should drop right out after that.
it might not be necessary to completely remove the sway bar and rack from the subframe, but it makes it much lighter and easier to drop and bolt back up.

the only thing that gave me too much trouble was bolting up the rack with the column when reinstalling. there isn't a lot of room to line things up and put the bolt back in.

TurboTrader

There are plenty that have dropped a motor, trans and t-case completely still attached to the subframe, and I intend to do it in the same manner when it does come time to pull my motor.

For the purpose of doing what you intend to do, I see it could also be an easier method to do what you're intending to do, The sub-frame should drop out by removing 8 large bolts from the bottom IIRC. The wiring and hoses should have enough play to afford you a few inches of space to get the brake lines out. Pretty much, undo the sub-frame bolts, the left and right tranny/motor mount and get one of these to support it all:

96524.gif

At Harbor Freight, runs $60, and should be an in-stock item at your local store. click

Once all is supported finding 4 sturdy mounting bolts for the chains from the top, you should be able to drop it all down just enough to afford you the room to work. Of course, you will still need to undo the steering column to rack, but everything else should go easy.

That's how I would do it at least. Otherwise you figure you have to pull a bunch more stuff, including the transfer case, which can be quite a hassle to get back in place, especially if you're not using a lift and on Jackstands.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned