The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Drift fun without breaking anyhting?

toybreaker

iconoclast

sisu

get you some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Can't wait to tear up some private dirt roads around here. That's what our cars are designed for: dirt and snow. Go balls to the walls like Juha Kankkunen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

DR1665

Quoting toybreaker:

sisu

get you some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oy, perkele!

If that's your driveway, I'll be there tomorrow, friend.

Sisu, indeed.

raptorWagon

Quoting 123abc:
My friend converted his GST Spyder from awd to rwd with the VC eliminator. He never had so many damn problems with driveline pieces breaking. Besides, our cars don't have close the steering angle needed for rwd.

A VCE is meant to put it in FWD not RWD, mostly used for putting a awd car on a 2wd dyno.

turbowop

Since when is a GST Spyder AWD? Did he convert it from FWD to AWD and then to RWD? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

CutlassJim

Quoting raptorreed:
Quoting 123abc:
My friend converted his GST Spyder from awd to rwd with the VC eliminator. He never had so many damn problems with driveline pieces breaking. Besides, our cars don't have close the steering angle needed for rwd.

A VCE is meant to put it in FWD not RWD, mostly used for putting a awd car on a 2wd dyno.

It goes both ways. Like your mom. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

123abc

He went from fwd to awd with a vce. Then he broke the front diff in the transmission making it rwd. Then the rear diff cover mounts let go. So, then he beefed up the rear end but took the front axles out. He broke yet another transmission before finally just enjoying the car as awd.

Last edited:

turbowop

You can't go from FWD to AWD with a VCE. GST Spyders came as FWD from the factory. None of them were AWD unless a conversion was done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbowop

From what I've seen, it look pretty labor intensive considering the floor pans are completely different. But kudos to him for creating an AWD Spyder. That's pretty sweet.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting turbowop:
From what I've seen, it look pretty labor intensive considering the floor pans are completely different. But kudos to him for creating an AWD Spyder. That's pretty sweet.

2g is way easy.

3rdstrikedsm

yea I have done this conversion and it's not that bad as long as you have a doner car.

turbowop

Quoting 123abc:
You're thinking of a 1g, 2g's are the same unibody, just different subframes attached.

I see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quoting Alpha Male:
first step, open this link in a new window click

second step, click this link and work out of the other window you opened. click

LOL how many people clicked this and logged themselves out? Hopefully I'm not the only one that fell for it.

Quoting DR1665:
Way to be dicks, fellas.

The thing to remember is, drift cars are a spectators carnie ride. They are not race cars, but caricatures. They are designed for one purpose - to burn through tires and sell product. If RWD is so ideal for drifting, why do they all have to butcher their suspension and steering geometries to do it? I say BOO. Dirt is for racing, tarmac is for getting there. The "style points" awarded in dorifto events, with their flat brims, puffy shoes, black socks, and stadiums will never hold a candle to stringing dozens of balls-to-the-wall, four-wheel drifts together on gravel out in the wild, with crests and jumps and exposures.

You haven't lived until you've used your right foot to keep an AWD car sideways for like a solid minute on dirt. (TIP: Dry lake beds are ideal, just watch out for nails.)

YMMV

Word. "Carnie ride" race cars usually have double or triple adjustable dampers, heims everywhere and relocated suspension pickup points. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif Real talk though DSMs probably have the least amount of steering angle out of any car I've owned. I don't know if CV issues would arise but I feel like my car could use rack spacers at a minimum.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned