The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Direct drop in Fuel Pump

Im a proffesional painter. Not a Volvo tech. Never been a pro mechanic. I've rebuilt engines and trans without hesitation (some of which in my living room) and have yet to be stumped on a fuel pump install.

Painter

toybreaker

iconoclast
Jeebus... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

The fuel hose technique is a bodge to get around the fitment issues of many aftermarket pumps that have different end designs/dimensions.

Does it work?

Yes, yes it does...

Is it optimal?

No, not really...

Does it matter?

No, not really...

Many manufacturers use short sections of hose to connect their pumps to the bracket/outlet pipe, (including GM.) It has the advantage of isolating the pump from the sender bracket, which will help reduce noise/vibration that would otherwise be transmitted into the bracket.

Just be cognicent of the fact that the sharp edge of the cut tube can cut the hose, so be sure to de-burr the end.

Also be sure to use the correct type of hose.

The hose section that comes with the pump is fine. Hose from the cheap chain stores is not

It must be high pressure hose suitable for immersion in gasoline. With the present level of alcohol in pump fuels (10% here in colorado, and many other states), a hose not rated for submersion will have it's outer layers deteriorate rapidly. This will contaminate the fuel, and clog the fuel filter.

It goes without saying you should be using premium stainless steel clamps inside the tank as cheap/unsuitable units will corrode. As a Volvo tech, you have access to the norma brand clamps. They have a nice radius on their edges that won't cut into the hose. Use them, and you'll be good to go.

It also goes without saying that arguing with people in the newbie section is a complete waste of time. 'Wop and Brain are pretty saavy when it comes to these cars, ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke.gif if not a little voiceferous in their opinions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

Relax, and accept their opinion for what it is, an opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Capische? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Quoting TakumiJr:
Quote:
now who is getting butt hurt, i did use the search and did not see a pump that directly fitted in. You guys are funny.

Did you end up installing a pump yet? Just wondering what you ended up going with.

Have not ended up installing it yet until I get back to chicago.

and toybreaker thanks for the good response I will probally end up using a walbro 190 and flare the fitting.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned