The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Degreeing Camshafts

alansupra94

I am just double checking some information regarding degreeing my Crower Stage IV cams. I have all the tools but I just want to make sure I am getting this right.

1. How do I measure zero lash? I made two adjustable solid lifters by putting a screw inside of them that can be threaded to move so it should be more precise and easier to do than shimming. I have been told that it is measured when the roller on the rocker able to move with a little bit of resistance. Is there a better way to do it with feeler gauges?

2. When everything is done. How should I go about putting the timing belt back on? Do I just install it like I normally would and just set the camshafts at whatever degrees I found them to be? Do I use the new TRUE TDC I found using the piston stop? I am kind of confused on how I now time the motor since the camshafts are now off a few degrees and we found the true TDC.

I just want to avoid bending a valve or hurting anything.

prove_it

I believe the timing marks will still line up. Your changing the location of the cam, not the pulleys. Putting the belt on is the same. As for getting the valve measurements, I always thought you watch the valve opening time with a dial indicator. Never done it myself, was taught over 10yrs ago, so pretty hazy.

alansupra94

Already done. Thanks for the help. I found out that the true TDC was like less than a 1/2 degree off on the wheel.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned