The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Debugging non-working A/C

cspetros

What kind of vacuum did you buy for this? I just took off the AC belt when mine died, but you make this sound so easy, I might try it.

jepherz

Staff member
I bought the bottom two products here. (hopefully you can see that). Any vacuum that can pull 30 inhgs or so should work, though.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting jepherz:
Well, I bought a can of 134 oil, 2 cans of r134, a $12 vacuum and a AC gauge set from harbor freight for $45. Vacuumed the system and it held vacuum, charged with the two cans and both gauges were optimal at idle and 2000 RPM. Blows COLD! About $100 in supplies and I ended up with some useful tools and working A/C.

Thanks for all of the help, guys.

Was the system already converted to the R134 fittings?

14u2nV

Did you order that stuff online? there is a Harbor freight on Noland road.

*considering you posted results the same day, I'm guessing you went to the store. Just making sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting iceman69510:
Quoting jepherz:
Well, I bought a can of 134 oil, 2 cans of r134, a $12 vacuum and a AC gauge set from harbor freight for $45. Vacuumed the system and it held vacuum, charged with the two cans and both gauges were optimal at idle and 2000 RPM. Blows COLD! About $100 in supplies and I ended up with some useful tools and working A/C.

Nope, I put those on as well.

jepherz

Staff member
No, got it locally, there's one in Shawnee as well. I also found out that there is Harbor Freight and Harbor Freight USA, not necessarily the same place...

1badgvr4

So you were able to vacuum down, and fill the system with stuff from harbor freight?

Romanova

Quoting jepherz:
Quoting iceman69510:
Quoting jepherz:

Nope, I put those on as well.

Explain process please.

KT

I smell an epic "How To" thread in the making.

jepherz

Staff member
I just emptied out a full (I think 5 oz?) of PAG oil, which is what you're supposed to use for r134. It comes in the same type of canister that the freon does. After vacuuming the system, emptying the PAG oil into the system until it was gone, and starting the car, the A/C is able to start because of the minimal pressure from the oil. The actual quantities of oil for all parts of the system are in the dealer manual, but it was so close to the amount that came in the can, I didn't bother to measure.

I'll get some pictures of the stuff I used tomorrow.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned