The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

data logger plus gps

Quote:
Can you verify that the serial works from the Q itself? Now that you've built yourself a serial cable, you should be able to sync it via serial with your computer.

Some how I missed this post. Sorry Ryan.
I tried to hotsync via serial today. It didn't work. I never tried this with the 7.5k resistor so I don't know what the problem is. It could be he 100k resistor, the cable, the garmin, the pc, or something I am not thinking of.

Quote:
Definitely get the newer version of MMCd. 1.8g and 1.8n are the latest versions.

Is there another spot to get these? I am not a member of 3si.org so they won't let me download.

Hertz

Staff member
Quote:
Quote:
Can you verify that the serial works from the Q itself? Now that you've built yourself a serial cable, you should be able to sync it via serial with your computer.

Some how I missed this post. Sorry Ryan.
I tried to hotsync via serial today. It didn't work. I never tried this with the 7.5k resistor so I don't know what the problem is. It could be he 100k resistor, the cable, the garmin, the pc, or something I am not thinking of.

Well, at least you know it isn't the ECU.

s_firestone

It's not going to sync with a PC without rewiring. Not unless you switch the send/recieve lines. PC is DTE, datalogger is DCE. You can switch the connections and test though.

s_firestone

Quote:
Quote:
Definitely get the newer version of MMCd. 1.8g and 1.8n are the latest versions.

Is there another spot to get these? I am not a member of 3si.org so they won't let me download.

There is a link embedded for 1.8g on DMChips.com

MMCd 1.8g

Quote:
It's not going to sync with a PC without rewiring. Not unless you switch the send/recieve lines. PC is DTE, datalogger is DCE. You can switch the connections and test though.

I thought long and hard about this. The cable was bought as a pc hotsync serial cable. So I thought it should work. But I modified the cable from the 7.5k resistor which is for a pc connection to the 100k resistor which is for a serial device connection. Will this flip flop the tx/rx like I think it will?

s_firestone

It's unlikely it would switch the tx/rx for you but it definitely might change the comm mode. The cable would likely be wired DCE(Garmin) to DTE(PC). If the cable was already a hotsync serial cable using a DB9 connector then that might work. The comm mode using the 100K resistor may be for Garmin's GPS mode.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is a link embedded for 1.8g on DMChips.com

MMCd 1.8g

Awesome! I tried this and I made a little progress, maybe. At baud rates just higher than 1953bps like 2193bps I was able to read codes, I think. I ran my battery down so I didn't force an error to be sure (my motor is shot so I'm not sure what I would do), but I was able to read "none" while doing a test. However, I tried to log and as soon as I unpaused the palm froze and needed to be reset with the button on the back. Is this an improvement?

Quote:
1: A proper schematic of your circuit and circuits you have eliminated as not working.
5: Document your settings you have tried and the resulting error code.

I am still working on the schematics. Well, I should say, I am still thinking about how I would do them. I don't have autocad or viseo so whatever I do will be in mspaint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif.

Hertz

Staff member
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

The freeze could be an infinite loop of some kind.

s_firestone

If you have it Visio is made for it. Bunches of templates available on the web and it routes lines for you.

If not paint is fine. You can also download something like GIMP for free. Definitely several steps above MS Paint.

s_firestone

Definitely an improvement. Try turning off several of the logging parameters, down to basics. My palm will do flaky things when the battery gets low. Also check for loose wiring, loose sockets, otherwise it can cause problems. You'll show like 254 Knock.

^^^ The little noise I was hearing in CO was a spun bearing that took out the other bearings and got hot enough to discolor the crank and rod. That was why I made the comment in your brother's post about our cars getting cursed while we were there.

Quote:
Definitely an improvement. Try turning off several of the logging parameters, down to basics. My palm will do flaky things when the battery gets low. Also check for loose wiring, loose sockets, otherwise it can cause problems. You'll show like 254 Knock.

It was the car battery. What parameters should I turn off? The only thing I had selected was the RPM and INJD. I am doing this with the car on but not running due to what is mentioned above.

I hooked everything back up with a partially charged car battery. With everything on I got "none". I unplugged the mass air and got code 13. So I DEFINITELY can check codes.

I didn't spend very long with it this time. So, I didn't exhaust all of my options. But everything I did try so far hung when I unpaused to log.

This is the current setup. I am lacking a pin out for the max-202 or a schematic for its circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:

With the above setup, I tried all the baud rates available. 1920 and 1953 gave me ECU comm error. 2148 and 2193 read the codes but locked the palm when I tried to log. 2246 gave me an ecu comm error on the "active" and about 8 miscellaneous errors in stored. Everything higher gave me a serial comm error, although I stopped trying after 19200.

I went back and tried the two that worked with out the jumper from pin 7 to 8. It made no difference.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned