The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Custom EH Motorsports FP Racing manifold shroud. (UPDATED)

coyotes

This thread sucks and should be restarted with better info on Evan's awesome manifold shield on its own! who cares about temps, we wanna see that blang blang heat shield

EfiniX

Barnes

Quoting G:
The heat shield needs to be made from an aluminum alloy not steel. Otherwise it just turns in to a big bbq grill.

Why do you say that? From my understanding of radiative heat transfer and heat shields the opposite would be true. Steel has a lower thermal conductivity and thus higher resistance to heat transfer.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting Barnes:
Quoting G:
The heat shield needs to be made from an aluminum alloy not steel. Otherwise it just turns in to a big bbq grill.

Why do you say that? From my understanding of radiative heat transfer and heat shields the opposite would be true. Steel has a lower thermal conductivity and thus higher resistance to heat transfer.

Why, you ask Jon? Because G constantly talks out of his ass and tries to pass it as fact. Just a typical G post.

On the manifold; Evan's looks wayyyy better than the one I made. I had issues making a shield that covered the manifold, yet still cleared my J-pipe, radiator and driver side cooling fan. In the end, the only way I could fit mine was to remove the driver side cooling fan. This was mostly due to the angle the heat shield sat at, which made it protrude into the space that would normally be taken up by the fan.

The biggest issue I had was attaching the heat shield, which ended up being via a bracket that utilized the 2 center exhaust manifold studs, and also a bolt near the bottom that threaded into the turbine housing. It worked well, but I wish there was a much better solution. That's why I'm curious how Evan mounted the shield he fabbed up.

I ended up removing the heat shield I made in favor of running a secondary slim fan on the driver side of the radiator. I still suffer from some heat soak at low and idle speeds, but have been able to increase airflow across the radiator area enough to keep the car running at manageable temperatures, even at low speeds. I would like to install a heat shield again, I just haven't wanted to mess with fabricating another one from scratch.

EfiniX, if you could post up some more pictures of the construction of Evan's heat shield, that would be awesome. It appears from your video it helped reduce temps for you a great deal. Thanks for updating us!

I apologize in advance if I'm whoring up your thread, but I wanted to post this up for comparison. I'm looking for a better way to make a new heat shield for my own car. I posted this in another thread, but here's the heat shield I fabbed up. Of note, my shield sits at an angle, whereas Evan's appears to sit more even with the radiator. I think that's the way I need to go next time.
WP_001578.jpg

WP_001580.jpg

WP_001579.jpg

Fastener bar attached:
WP_001583.jpg

WP_001586.jpg

Heat shield mocked up:
WP_001573.jpg

WP_001577.jpg

WP_001574.jpg

WP_001575.jpg

Finished product:
WP_001592.jpg

WP_001589.jpg

WP_001590.jpg

WP_001591.jpg

Last edited:

prove_it

Not bad Brett, not bad. I like it painted black. Keeps the low key look.

GSTwithPSI

Thanks, Ryan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If my welds looked as good as Evan's, I would have polished it. When I had 1813, I really liked how the polished JMF piece looked on the stock mani. Gotta have that bling bling, bro.

JNR

Steel may take longer to heat up but it will also take longer to cool down (transfer heat provided there is airflow). The idea on a turbo manifold is to retain heat so I could see where a steel cover could work better BUT that is if there is an insulator in between or else its just a cover....sure it will work better than nothing but its not effective for the purpose of keeping heat in.

EfiniX

Well the manifold under the shield is wrapped in titanium exhaust fabric whatever stuff.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting JNR:
Steel may take longer to heat up but it will also take longer to cool down (transfer heat provided there is airflow). The idea on a turbo manifold is to retain heat so I could see where a steel cover could work better BUT that is if there is an insulator in between or else its just a cover....sure it will work better than nothing but its not effective for the purpose of keeping heat in.

The heat shields that came factory on our cars weren't meant to act as heat sinks, they are made to reflect radiant heat.

I think we are all thinking too much into this. I'd be willing to bet the heat transfer properties of the material being used to construct the heat shield has very little to do with how the factory designed the stock component. I guarantee the two foremost factors Mitsubishi gave a sh*t about were cost, and durability. Aluminum, or any aluminum alloy doesn't fit that bill, hence the cheap piece of stamped mystery metal (not aluminum) we got from the factory.

If you want to fab up some high-speed aluminum or aluminum alloy heat shield because it has superior heat transfer properties, go ahead. The gains you actually see in the real world from such a venture will be negligible, if any at all.

Last edited:

EfiniX

From conversations with Evan, it would seem as though he's just looking to provide a quality, less-expensive alternative to the Galant and DSM community. He's a really nice, really talented guy, and he genuinely enjoys this sort of work. I've got one of his short-shifters in my car and it cost half of what any other commercial product would have run. 4 months in and it's still the nicest shifter I've ever had in a car (well tied with my FD RX-7 shifter). His next project is to make a heat shield for the alternator. He's also talking about designing a template for JDM bumpers and other bits so that there a solid, aftermarket option that keeps the stock look. He never talks about how much money he can make, just about how he thinks people will find his products helpful.

So like all aftermarket parts, it comes down to what you are trying to accomplish and personal taste. If the shield he makes isn't for you, then it isn't for you. For me, it was just what I was looking for!

prove_it

I'm in for an alternator heat shield that works with a EVO 3 housing and downpipe. Mine looks like poo thrown at a orange wall.

I think he could sell one to almost every dsm guy out there.

EHmotorsports

hey thanks guys for the info,compliments and constructive criticism. I appreciate it all.

Brett it was a pain but I couldn't find a better solution to the upper mount than this.

heres a better look on my car before drilling the mounting holes.

and new material that im playing with. I over cooked the welds but after I refine my tig welding it should come out nice.

Last edited:

prove_it

Have you tried this on an actual FP manifold? It looks like it would clear, but if the shield is really close to the tall runner (#1 I think) it might rattle.

I like how this helps shield the PS pump too. Should work great. I'd like to see it extend down farther on the O2 housing, but I'm sure it wouldn't fit all the different housings out there.

GSTwithPSI

That's an awesome piece, Evan. I like your mounting solution. It looks like you are using pop rivets to hold it in place? My only critique would be to weld some type of nut to the underside of the manifold bracket, so you can remove the heat shield without drilling out the pop rivets.

Overall, looks like a really nice piece. You fabrication skillz are much better than mine. I'm not sure if you are thinking about producing these, but if so, what are you thinking along the lines of pricing?

Very, very nice work, dude. Thanks for sharing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Quoting prove_it:
Have you tried this on an actual FP manifold?

Lol. Do you even read, bro? Yeah, EfiniX's car has a FP manifold on it. That's what this whole thread is about. You needz to quit smoking that stuff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

yeah I didn't have pics of the bracket after I installed thread certs but it has threaded inserts now. im also using domed SS alen head bolts.

EfiniX

If you like, we can pop the shelf off my rig tomorrow and take photos. I have an FO manifold.

Barnes

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Why, you ask Jon? Because G constantly talks out of his ass and tries to pass it as fact. Just a typical G post.

Haha, very nice. I was trying to be nice and let him back up his position as opposed to directly saying he is wrong. I'm trying to be a bit nicer about things these days.

I do think in one of your most recent posts you hit he nail on the head. How the factory did the heat shield probably has very little to do with criteria we concern ourselves with. Being that the heat shield was an engineered part for a mass produced, street legal, warranty having, DOT conforming car, the requirements are WAY different than what we might expect.

As for the heat shield discussed here, it looks like it will do its job nicely. Just keep in mind a few things: thinner metal is okay as long as it doesn't fail mechanically due to vibration/thermal expansion/fatigue. Thicker metal doesn't really gain you anything as far as reducing heat transfer. As long as it is between the manifold and the thing you want to protect, it will reduce radiative heat transfer. But certainly the more form fitting you make it, the more it keeps airflow off the manifold which further reduces heat transfer.

Also, if it isn't a pain, polish the INSIDE of the heat shield. Polishing both the outside and the inside of the heat shield will reduce heat transfer due to the lower emissivity of a polished surface.

EfiniX

Rather then polish the inside of my shield, we'll be putting reflective exhaust tape on it tomorrow. Should achieve the same or similar effect.

coyotes

Looks great, nicely done Evan. I bet a blanket would fit nicely under it to complete the idea and have a nice clean finished look. I feel like it needs a logo or something on top though.

JNR

Not into logos on my stuff but depending how thick it is a small ball mill design may look good or some sort of texture treatment, etc....like polished ss myself but have enough of that so a contrast would be nice but in a way that itd still stand out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned