The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cry for HELP

kron_jdd

Hey there everyone. I kinda an outsider looking in. I have a 91 eagle 2000gtx some of you may have heard me speak of. I have recently finished my turbo install however unfortunately the tranny has decided it wanted to take a dump, well more so the center diff. Everything inside the center diff should be replaced. At the very least I need the drive gear on the center diffs case lid. it is a W5M33 tranny. I am very limited on funds as this is as close to owning one of these true beloved VR4's and I do live in Canada. I am not concerned with paying shipping but I am worried about price. New parts from shops and $500 and up for center diff some at a grand... its hard cause I paid 600 for the tranny, tho used and lasted 2yrs. T /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gifhe tranny is just next to impossible to find up here. If anyone has or could point me to a good source, that would be of great help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

strokin4dr

Was the rear diff changed out to a vr4/dsm unit? Or are you still using the Galant gsx diff?

If you just swapped to a dsm trans and retained the ggsx diff, then we know why the center diff didn't last. Ratios would be mismatched.

thomcasey

When you swapped outthe transmission, did you swap the transfer case and rearend too?

kron_jdd

Being as my car is a Canadian eagle 2000gtx with a 4 bolt rear end, I reused my diff and transfer case. The spline count was the same. The tranny came out of a awd turbo eagle talon. If the ratio was different, come winter I should have noticed a driveability problem right

kron_jdd

So it took me awhile to find the info but if what I found is correct, being that I have a non turbo car originally, the tranny would have been a W5M31 and I installed a turbo car tranny, a W5M33, not knowing the difference. This means then that the rear diff does not match the W5M33 tranny. So I guess if this is right that I need a non turbo W5N31 tranny. Is this correct?

Last edited:

strokin4dr

That's exactly what I was saying above; you had a mismatch of ratios that killed the center diff.
I would not be searching for a ggsx trans if I were you. I would put another dsm trans in and swap the rear diff with a 4 bolt dsm unit. This will give you the correct ratios and is much stronger than the weak NA trans.

kron_jdd

See but I guess I am still confused. Sorry to sound dum but from an outside appearance, what is the difference. The diff in the car is currently a 4bolt. Just so I know what I am looking for.

thomcasey

Well, the transmission, transfer case and rear diff need to match. Question is, how long were you able to drive it around before the center diff blew? If it was quite a long time and many miles, then maybe something else caused it. If it wasn't many miles, then maybe you have GGSX gearing in that 4-bolt diff?

strokin4dr

Take a pic of the tag on the rear diff. That will give us a clue as to what's going on. Unless someone swapped the guts, but that is unlikely.

kron_jdd

I will see if I can take a pic of the tag but that will come in a bit. The car is out side my shop in the snow lol. The tranny was in the car for about a year and a half. It was a used tranny So it is hard to know if my car cause the failure or if it was dying over time. Also just so I am clear, when referring to a 4 bolt diff, that is how many bolts from drive shaft to the diff, correct?

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
It is the count of bolts that secure the axle cups to the axle shafts at the wheel end. The important part is the rear differential accepts the larger diameter axles shafts which is what the improvement was. I'm sure there are some pictures on here somewhere.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Nope. The bolts that bolt the axle to the axle cups. Look at the picture here and note the 4 bolt flanges. Unfortunately the picture does not show the axle cups also, which are the part that connects the axle to the wheel hub stub shaft.

4 bolt rear parts

kron_jdd

Ok I see, but as per my question, where the axle bolts to the wheel end, I currently have a 3 bolt. So this confirms I have the wrong diff but if I need to use a 4 bolt then I also need to change the wheel huds to use a 4 bolt. Basically I need a hole new rear end? Diff, axles and huds or at least change the back of the hud to match a 4 bolt

Last edited:

thomcasey

You can probably find a manual 3-bolt DSM rear diff pretty easy, they were used in tons of them. then just replace the diff in your tranny

kron_jdd

Well thanks to Jack's transmission, I have a line on a center diff. I just want to make sure I find the correct rear end so I don't have this happen again. So you are saying that there are 3 bolt diff's with the right gearing in the back? Do you know the tag/model number I should be looking for?

strokin4dr

Quoting kron_jdd:
...I currently have a 3 bolt. So this confirms I have the wrong diff ...

That doesnt confirm anything. 3 bolt axles can be connected to one of a few different ratio diffs. Take a pic of the tag on the diff cover and post it here.
But, yes, it is most likely the stock 2.846 diff that came in the car.

kron_jdd

I did a spin check on the diff the other day and it did appear close to 2 3/4 turn for every one turn of the wheel. So I do believe it to be the incorrect 2.84 gearing. May I ask what tag is for the 3.54 gearing?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned