The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Considering Selling

belize1334

Some of you might have noticed that I had my car in the FS section for a while. The price was steep because I don't REALLY want to sell it. I also put it on craigslist for $7k which is quite high in my opinion... I wouldn't pay that much for it. When I didn't get any hits I decided to keep it and bought a transmission for it for $2k shipped to my door (still waiting on it).

Last night I got an email from an interested buyer... remember I asked 7k in the ad. We talked today and I told him that I just bought a transmission so the price had gone up and he seemed amenable. So, I'm thinking with the new trans included maybe he'll go to $8500? This would allow me to turn to the dark side and get either an AWD DSM or perhaps something like a Miata that which is a true driver's car. That would allow me to pocket a fair chunk of change and pay off some debt.

I'm not sure he'll go for it at that price but, assuming he's willing, what would you do?

link to car...

Last edited:

vtecds1

Keep the tranny in case you buy a dsm.

If you got a 4k cash offer for your car I would take it. Not to be an ass or anything but you could replicate your setup for that. 8500 you aren't getting.

belize1334

No offense taken... I agree that the car's actual value is not significant. I'm not sure I agree that I could mostly replicate the car for $4,000. My tally puts the mods on the car at about $3000 and I don't see many stock, clean GVR4s for $1000. But if I'm doing that I may as well just keep it. For my time and labor I'll want money in my pocket. I agree that $8500 isn't likely, but he was interested at $7000 with a sh*t transmission /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I'm not sure I want to keep the transmission 'cause if I get a DSM I'll probably go for a 2G for autocross. However, I may keep it to sell if he's not willing to pay for it. We'll see what he offers.

cheekychimp

If that's how you feel and he is genuinely interested, I'd say start at $8500 and negotiate to $8000. He's getting 2K of transmission for half price; you would be selling the car effectively for $6000 which realistically is probably more than you'd get for it with a trash transmission. If he still wants it for 7K put the trash transmission back in and sell the transmission on here. You might still get $1500 for it!

IncorpoRatedX

Take the money and run, only a complete idiot would give that kind of money for a GREEN galant.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Really though, you'd be selling it for premium price, so might as well. Worse case scenario you'll want one again in the future and the next time around you can get one of the good colors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

belize1334

Didn't Bonneville prove once and for all that Green is best?

I think I agree with cheeky. Anyway, he's coming to look tonight so I'll let y'all know.

2of9

I'm in the same bout except I'm selling mine for about half your price. If I just bought a new trans for it, I'd personally keep it unless the buyer is buying it for the price I set it at. I think anything about 7k is worth selling. I know right behind my head though, that in about 5 more years...every dsmer/evo owner will want to buy a solid built or stock Galant VR4 or a...a diamond (bone stock, low mileage, no rust, perfect running original engine GVR4)...its out there somewhere.

vtecds1

Quote:
low mileage, no rust, perfect running

I got all three...I've had people ask me if I want to sell it, but I tell them right off the bat that it's not going to be cheap. They always end up walking away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

belize1334

The guy is a medical currier and we've had a hard time getting together. He's expressed continued interest and said that he'd pay the extra for the transmission but I'll believe it when I see it. I'm still not sure I WANT to sell it but I'll definitely listen to his offer.

Ok here goes, I am in the same boat, kindof. I just quit my job due to some SOP's not being followed. I made good money so I am set for a while. But I could use the extra cash with hunting season and snowmobiling coming. I have had a few interviews and will soon have another job in my field. But as I said I could use the extra cash. Anyways I have gone back and fourth about selling my car and it by no means is up and running like yours. BUT I will tell you I just can't bring myself to do it, as I know I may not beable to get one as clean. Also I know I will miss it. If you are having reservations about selling it now, they won't go away. Just take some time before you decide, I won't give you the standard oh there is only 3000 of these yada yada, you need to keep it ect. But I WILL tell you; I have two cars I should have never sold- they haunt me to this day.......

Rob,
Who are you fooling? You've had many cars lol. I know one of the one you speak of is blue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned