The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Common rust locations.

JackstandTSi

So i was just wondering, What are some common rust areas on the Galants. Im aware of the hood, but are there any other locations that get bad. Im not able to work on my GVR4 often because of no garage, and winter is coming so i want to kinda prepare for common rust issues before it gets covered in snow. What are also some good rust preventors that i can do to common spots to prevent the rust.

Thank you.

citymunky

behind front fenders on the bottom corner near the front doors.

LIV4PSI

The bottoms of the doors, and under the sideskirts as well. I just pulled all the cladding off of 627 today, way worse than I ever thought.

I would use POR15 on any unpainted spots.

I'm local, we should roll out to National Trail next year. Or at least cruise out to Home Depot/Quaker Steak some nite.

Last edited:

fuel

under the rear windscreen around the trunk hinges, all along the bottom of the sills, bottom of the front fenders, under the front fenders where the rain water drains are (they get blocked up with leaves etc)

MellowVR4

also rust behind in front of the rear wheel by the end of the rocker panel... my car might have some hale damage but all of the common rust spots are clear from any rust. i love it, all the p/s line, fuel lines, brakelines all clear from rust. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif RUST NEVER SLEEPS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

JNR

Rust? what's that, lol.

I imagine if the sunroof drains were clogged, maybe could get some in the channels and stuff...that's pretty much true on any vehicle though, if you don't clean out the drains it will promote rust from the inside out in the channels and stuff and especially if leaves and such are allowed to build up and retain moisture you can guess what will happen...

Japanese cars (although better now) are built thin, so I think they are even more prone to rust in those areas that are affected, so I would just be more on top of keeping it clean and maybe spraying some good penetrant type fluids on the surfaces that may be more prone to rust. You'd be surprised how well that works and/or gets rid of superficial surface rust that will progress further if allowed.

MellowVR4

your in cali tho, so you r very lucky not to have this problem. cars with no rust in wisconsin its like finding gold lol.

SmoothCustomer

Quoting LIV4PSI:
The bottoms of the doors, and under the sideskirts as well. I just pulled all the cladding off of 627 today, way worse than I ever thought.

I would use POR15 on any unpainted spots.

I'm local, we should roll out to National Trail next year. Or at least cruise out to Home Depot/Quaker Steak some nite.

Everything this guy says. I bought my Galant solely because it was supposed to be rust free, which it was for the most part then I took off the side skirts and it's actually so bad there are holes there.

donkeylips

Top of the fuel tank and sending unit. On the body right behind the front subframe. Rear quarter panels. Rad. core support(mine has split in half).
I'm the authority on the subject. I probably have 2 of the rustiest GVR4s on here.

Last edited:

Wizardawd

Shortly after I bought 598, I decided to upgrade the driveline. Jacked the car up, put 2 jackstands at the usual pinchweld locations, lowered the car and it kept coming down as the jackstands went INTO the car.

It was just on the far back corners, moved the jackstands further in and it's fine. Point is, once the cladding was removed, I decided this car will never be restored. All 4 doors bottoms, the rear end under the skin, etc. Driven till she dies.

Wiz

G

Staff member
Spray your underbody with this > click Works awesome.

citymunky

We use their " Liquid A" and "NAS" on aircraft for corrosion prevention.

donkeylips

Did I mention under the battery tray?

The funny thing is that 108 and 924 rusted differently. They're both equally rusty, and they share a lot of spots (hood, bumpers, quarter panels) but the BG (924) seemed to hold up better under the hood than the KG. Everything under the hood of 108 (such as the rad. core support, the brake lines and the brake fluid reservoir bracket) looks like it was fished out of the ocean. And on the other car most of that stuff is fairly clean. But the underbody might be worse.

misterfixit

That's because... well BG is just hard as nails... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Rich

Lancer99

Damn I'm lucky with my VR-4, I barely have any rust on it. The only rust issue I have is the radiator support just because it was in an accident but everything is straight and clean. O and have zero sunfade too.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned