The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Coilover + Winter Driving

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting turbowop:
I remember seeing a white film all over the car after the drive home from a day of skiing. Is that indicative of salt use?

That's probably some flavor of magnesium chloride. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

While not as hard on steel as salt, it really fawks up aluminum.

It's also death on exposed electrical connections, like grounds.

I usually make a pass thru an automatic car wash that has an undercarriage cycle to rinse the bottom off every now and then during the winter, especially during ski season when CDOT dousches the interstates with the schmeg.

After being married for over twenty five years, scoring free car washes from the wimmen cashiers is one of the only chances I get to brush up on my bullshit and blarney with the ladies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(still got game /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif )

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quote:
On the local board it was suggested that a guy pass on installing them on his DD because they have issues dealing with winter here in MN. They said the salt can make it horrible to adjust ride heights and such later on due to corrosion.

Anti-sieze, liberally applied to the threads during assembly will minimise that problem.

Ted Andkilde

click

Available as liquid or aerosol.

Boesheild was developed by Boeing to protect aircraft parts from corrosion -- it's a wax/solvent blend. Goes on wet, dries to a non-tacky film. I've used the little squeeze bottle as bicycle chain lube and I've had a few people tell me it's good for threaded shock bodies. You have to re-apply it regularly though.

t

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Someone told me to spray wd40 on the coilovers to keep them from rusting but never got around to do it. Anyone try it?

atc250r

Staff member
An older guy I worked with used to swear by dousing everything exposed to the salt with WD40. I guess it works because his 18 year old truck looks like new and so do the chrome wheels he has his winter tires on that are also nearly 20 years old.

John

atc250r

Staff member
I wouldn't go spraying down my entire exterior but I don't think it will hurt the coil overs.

John

CP

My Hotbits shock bodies looked like hell after a few winters. I'd suggest hitting the threaded collars near the top of the spring perches with a brush to get the sand out and then spraying some WD40 down there. It'd be nice if some of these kits came with dust boots to cover the damper adjusters.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned