The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Code 0042 Fuel Pump Circuit Malfunction

Brunoboy

Thats what it says in Dsmlink, It will start for 2 seconds, and then die, This is all after a Fuel Pump Rewire and Ecu change. Still the same when the car is changed back to stock wiring. Anyone?
-Shane

Tre3zy

you sure you wired it rite? did you read the link i gave you? maybe the first time you tried rewiring it you mixed up the wires and the pump probly failed...

Chim55117

This sounds dumb, but have you correctly compensated for your injectors in DSMLink? When I installed my 880's, I forgot that I had previously selected 650's, and the car would start for several seconds and then die.

Brunoboy

Quoting Tre3zy:
you sure you wired it rite? did you read the link i gave you? maybe the first time you tried rewiring it you mixed up the wires and the pump probly failed...

Link is set right, and yes I hooked it up right, I put it back to stock wiring and it as well sets off the code, -___-. I read on link forum that it means that the Ecu Pin 13 doesnt see 12v's going to the pump it will shut down. The ecu is good according to Bernard (ecu rebuilder) by looking at it, I will have to get a multimeter tomorrow.
-Shane

dsmless

Dude I had the same problem with 96, even tho the ecu was repaired the fuel pump circuit runs were the caps like to leak so it's a chance that the acid ate that circuit too, just run a wire from your fuse tray by the obd port to pin 13 so that it will see 12 v andnot turn off the pump it will also clear the CEL easiest fix, search my username and there's a post on this

Brunoboy

what wire did you run from the fuse tray? Thanks a bunch though, much appreciated, and yes the ecu was repaired before.

Brunoboy

mpi fuse? yea still a complete fuse, I dont see why it would be any fuses since the car is starting, it just doesnt stay on after the code is thrown,I will run a wire to pin 13 but I need to know which wire should I run?
-Shane

Brunoboy

By looking at this diagram, instead of Wiring a wire from the Fuse Tray constant 12v, Can't I just wire from pin 103 to pin 13? Pinout

Jostar

I had the same Problem before in a DSM, It was the Fuel relay box under the radio next to the ecu (dsm)I believe its near the ECu in the galant...

Brunoboy

Ive tried two different mpi relays....

Olson

I had the same thing when i did my criuse elimination. Check and make sure the injector resister pack is still there or pluged in.

Olson

Also its gheto and stupid to do it this way but you can if your careful. Pull your fuel rail put your injectors in there so there tight get a spare CAS or pull your cas ( witch will jack up your timing) and spin the CAS. When you spin the CAS the ecu will till the injectors to fire. If you dont get anything there you might have a bad pack .. from there i dont know

Brunoboy

Pics of injector packs? And i have fuel the plus are wet before

stevep

Quoting brunoboy:
I read on link forum that it means that the Ecu Pin 13 doesnt see 12v's going to the pump it will shut down. The ecu is good according to Bernard (ecu rebuilder) by looking at it, I will have to get a multimeter tomorrow.
-Shane

I know I didn't say that and checking the link forums Dave didn't quite say that either. The ECU will throw the code but it doesn't then turn the pump off as far as I can remember. Maybe they changed the code in DSMLink but the stock code doesn't.

I don't know how anybody can tell by looking if the trace for 56 or 13 is open since it sits under the heatsink.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

Spliced pin 13 to a switch to mpi relay pin or the constant 12v dnt. Remember which one but it works.

dsmless

That's what I was trying to say, the ecu needs to see a constant 12v so it can keep the pump energized, any 12 v source would of worked I said the fuse tray because you can just use a spade conector and use any open fuse slot that wayyou can also splice a on off switch as a " poormans antitheft" either way it will work also the CEL should of came off well luckman

Brunoboy

Yea i just used taps, and the cel did go off, thanks a bunch.
-shane

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts