The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Chip features

Where can I get a spare ECU for cheap so I can send Jeff mine? And which other models are compatible? All 1G except 90's?

I have an idea on a feature worth checking out. How hard would it be to change the control of the boost control solanoid? The idea is instead of cutting boost due to knock, could you set it to cut boost at a set rpm? The idea is to duplicate the EVO's two stage boost settings. I think it runs 19psi until 4500rpm, then drops it to 16psi. The goal is a healthy boost in mid range torque. It seems to work well on the EVO with pump gas, it has a nice fat powerband. Great for daily driving and autocrossing.

Jason K.

quote:Originally posted by Marcus:
I used to have a B16 Crx with a ZDYNE ecu, something neat about it was, until the car reached operating temp. It wouldn't rev over 4900, vtec engaged at 5k. Could you put something like this on our cars, set at maybe 3500 or 4k. So that we could let our brothers drive our cars and not rem them as soon as they start them? Yeah, that I could do I think. The ECU looks at the coolant temperature, so I could have it lower the rev limit until the temps would be >XXX.

quote:Originally posted by Marcus:
I'm not the brightest star in the sky, so please tell me why I would like a knock box or anything else? So I wouldn't have to stare at my pocketlogger why I drive???
Thats the general idea, I think, so you don't have to have the logger connected all the time.

4orced4door

When you get ready to start doing everyones chips, definitely count me in. I will be needing a loaner ECU as the GVR4 is my only car, but I would be glad to pay any costs incurred.

I would like to see the boost gauge do one of two things:

If you can make all of the LEDs light up at once, it could be useful as a shift light. The sequential thing doesn't seem good enough because it would be hard too pay attention to. I want something I can see out of the corner of my eye and not have to focus on.

If that is not sensible or possible, then the knock LED function sounds like a great alternative.

I am anxious to see the clutch cut and stutterbox in action also!

Thanks for all the effort you are putting into this!
smile.gif

I like the stutter box feature. Knock would be my 2nd choice. Should be able to shave a full 2nd of 1/4 mile time for those who drag. I don't drag my car but for those guys that do, this would be for you.

Keydiver I want one to please, So what do I need to have done prior to sending you my ECU because I have not had mine socketed, is that somthing you could do? I would be interested in the studder box @ 5000 rpm and the knock couter. How much would you charge to also change the code to encorperate my 510cc injectors and is there anything you could do to modify the signal that the mas is sending so it doesnt hit fuel cut so harshly? One more question Would it be possible to along with the studder box retard the timing alot as to creat an anti lag of sorts. that would be awsome!! SO let me know I want this really bad REALL REALLY BAD. SWEET!!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by mixx2001:
So what happens when you push the clutch in at 7k to shift? Try it, you'll like it! I've NEVER attempted flat shifting my GVR-4 like I have previous cars. My transmission would never cooperate. But, last night I thought "OK, I've got to try out this feature", and banged through the gears with the accelerator flat to the floor and the 5000 rpm stutterbox/clutchcut in my chip. WOW! What fun! No bucking, banging, or anything bad, just a lot more acceleration and a nice rush! In fact, the transmission seemed to shift just fine. It was nice not having to synchronize the whole gas-clutch thing. One less thing to think about when you're racing.

quote:Originally posted by AWDpower:
How hard would it be to change the control of the boost control solanoid? The idea is instead of cutting boost due to knock, could you set it to cut boost at a set rpm? Jason K. This should be easy to do, except I don't know the memory address for the boost solenoid. Since most people disconnect it, I've never played around with that part of the code. I'm not sure if the EVO boost reduction is a "feature", or because their small-ish turbo is just running out of breath.
If I can find the boost solenoid, I'll let you know.

quote:Originally posted by mixx2001:
Where can I get a spare ECU for cheap so I can send Jeff mine? And which other models are compatible? All 1G except 90's? I do have loaners, but you have to pay the shipping both ways.

quote:Originally posted by galantvr4:
When are these chips comming out and what will they cost? The chips are FREE to GVR-4 owners. I'm going to make all my money off the DSM crowd ;-)
They are available as soon as you can get your ECU socketed.

quote:Originally posted by spoulson:
Maybe it's just me, but I think you're being too restrictive on yourself. It doesn't sound to me that you are _trying_ to plagarize on TMO, and you are certainly making efforts to steer clear of that. But the bad side is you're intentionally placing bugs so as not to be seen as ripping off TMO. My view is: a feature is a feature, no matter how it's coded or put together. Are you doing a byte for byte copy of TMO code? If not, just do it any way you like.

As far as I can tell, Todd isn't even active in the DSM community. Every email I've ever sent him (2) got no reply; as is the story for most. The dsm.org site is falling apart and the talon digest archive search is broken. I'd say unless he contacts you, he wouldn't mind if you did similar work.
I wish it would be that easy, but I don't think Todd has completely gone away. Recently, someone was blantantly selling his chips on Ebay, they even had their own meaning for the letters "TMO", what morons! Todd was notified, and bid on the chips to catch the guy in the act.
So, I'm trying to be cautious. Whenever I can rewrite something, I do. If I can't, I prefer not to offer it at this time. If the way I write it causes problems, then I need to reevaluate the code, and see if it can be changed. Thats what this testing is all about. Unfortunately, I'm not a 68HC11 programmer. All I have is a list of opcodes from the Motorola site, and a partial disassembly of a stock chip. That, alot of help from a couple guys on the DSM-ECU site, and my gut instincts have gotten me this far. Any of you guys real proficient in HC11 machine code?

quote:Originally posted by galantvr4:
Keydiver I want one to please, So what do I need to have done prior to sending you my ECU because I have not had mine socketed, is that somthing you could do? I will socket it for free if you ship it to me. All you need to pay is the return shipping.

quote: How much would you charge to also change the code to encorperate my 510cc injectors and is there anything you could do to modify the signal that the mas is sending so it doesnt hit fuel cut so harshly? Yes, I can include a subroutine that will subtract 12% fuel to correct for the 510's. Also, my chip eliminates fuel cut, so it shouldn't be a problem.

quote: One more question Would it be possible to along with the studder box retard the timing alot as to creat an anti lag of sorts. that would be awsome!! Actually, Nate Pharr has already asked me for that one. I need more details as to how anti-lag works, and a LOT more time to try to implement it. No promises, but I'll look into it.

(I assume Jeff already knows this, just not how to implement it)

The principle of antilag is to have the spark so retarded that the fuel is burning in the exhaust manifold to spool the turbo. You would need to somehow have the clutch switch also make the ECU retard to either no advance on top of base or even if possible, fire after TDC - as crazy as it sounds.

Garfield - Is it really that big of a difference?
shocked.gif
How much boost does it build on the line (if any? I have a ported unclipped B16G) I expected a slight improvement off the line like maybe as low as 1.5xxx 60' (from 1.7xxx) and a few tenths on the shifts to maybe give 1/2 a sec max.

Turbo4door1

I don't have a chip from KEYDIVER (yet....!!), but I do have the TMO stage III chip. Depending on how high you set the stutter box, you can build a good bit of boost on the line. I have a ported small 16G and at 5500RPM, it makes around 8psi. AT 7000RPM it makes 12+psi. And yes, I have left on it that high once or twice.
shocked.gif
Makes for a pretty violent launch, and a nice hairy 4-wheel burnout, but is extrememly hard on the drive train, OBVIOUSLY...!!! I have gotten just as good 60ft times before I had the chip by holding a steady RPM and rolling into the throttle as I come out with the clutch. A question, and possibley KEYDIVER can answer for me.. I have heard that the ECU in our cars pulls the timing way back when you bouce of the rev/launch limiter. Can anyone verify or dispel this rumor?

Gvr4-330

Hey, how hard would it be to make the boost gauge an instantanious fuel economy readout? Sort of like the ones that BMWs used to have in their gauge clusters. Maybe every bar could be 5mpg.

Rob

Gabor

If you have the stutter box and just floor it, somehow it creates knock and yes that will pull your timing.
If you bring the rpm up slowly the knock don't show up. I didn't comfirm this with my logger, but that's what Todd told me a couple of years ago at the Shootout.

Gabor
692/1000

quote:Originally posted by Gvr4-330:
Hey, how hard would it be to make the boost gauge an instantanious fuel economy readout? Sort of like the ones that BMWs used to have in their gauge clusters. Maybe every bar could be 5mpg.

Rob
Rob,
Our ECU doesn't track the fuel usage in any way, and it doesn't know how many miles you've gone either. sorry.

quote:Originally posted by Gabor:
If you bring the rpm up slowly the knock don't show up. I didn't comfirm this with my logger, but that's what Todd told me a couple of years ago at the Shootout.
Thats what I've heard too. There was a long thread on it a couple years ago. As long as your car isn't knock-prone, it should be OK. See, thats why you need the knock gauge mod!

quote:Originally posted by theymightbegalants:
http://www.zeitronix.com/tcac/tcac.htm

I like this site's description of how their AC cutout works. I vote that the chip takes an "aggressive" role in cutting out the AC; ie early and long.
I can make it as early and long as you want. I just picked 90% tps and 3 seconds arbitrarily.
Need input.....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts