The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Chip features

GVR-4

Knock indicator and stutter box would be awesome!
cool.gif

dp

quote:Originally posted by keydiver:

quote:Originally posted by theymightbegalants:
I'd also thought of modifying it to work as a shift light, but I was going to make it progressive instead of a two step. For example, have the first light come on at 6k and have each light be worth 250 rpm. That could be done, no problem. However, the boost gauge is a little slow responding, and may lag too much to be usable at such resolution. If I have some time this weekend, maybe I'll give it a try.
I realize it's a bit slow to respond, which is why I suggested it start as low as 6k... so as soon as you start to see 'em light up, you grab for that gear. Just an idea; I don't think I'd go for the shift light option on my chip anyway.
wink.gif

Gvr4-330

and probably A/C cutout at 90% throttle.
I would LOVE an A/C cutout. I always thought this was a great feature of the TMO chips.

And THANKS so much for making these chips. I know it must be a lot of work for you.

Rob

a_santos

Is it possible to have it read oil pressure?

quote:Originally posted by a_santos:
Is it possible to have it read oil pressure? No.

I'd like to see the check engine light used for diagnostic make it flash out the code like most other obd1 cars so you do not have to go get the multimeter or led when the check engine light is tripped. I also am in favor of a stutterbox and knock display. Also another thought is use the 6 leds for airflow amounts to show if you are nearing fuel cut/ outflowing the mas. Also could you split the display like have the first 3 leds used for knock and the last 3 for mas airflow?

I believe that you send him your ECU, and he will modifiy the EPROM and since the ECU controls the little boost gauge (stock) he can mod it to do other things. Jeff is a great guy isnt he!

Well, I guess if I would stop playing around with adding features, and just make a certain spec and stick with it, it would have been done weeks ago. I'd like to start getting a few more out there to you guys, so I could test some other things I'm trying to add.
I'm trying to do an A/C cutout, but, again, not trying to copy the TMO, so I made it to strictly do a cutout with 90% throttle. TMO does 85% throttle or 4500/5000 rpm cutout. The downside of the way I've written it is this:
The factory ECU watches the rpm, and if it drops below 437.5 rpm, it turns the A/C clutch off. This is where Todd hijacks the code, has it check for 85% TPS, or 4500/5000 rpm, and then he also checks for

Hmmm, I wonder if we could amp up the miniscule voltage put out by an EGT probe and scale it to 5 volts.

In other words, the way I have it written right now, WHENEVER the clutch is pushed in you have a 5000 rpm limit, whether you're moving or not. So what happens when you push the clutch in at 7k to shift?

spoulson

Maybe it's just me, but I think you're being too restrictive on yourself. It doesn't sound to me that you are _trying_ to plagarize on TMO, and you are certainly making efforts to steer clear of that. But the bad side is you're intentionally placing bugs so as not to be seen as ripping off TMO. My view is: a feature is a feature, no matter how it's coded or put together. Are you doing a byte for byte copy of TMO code? If not, just do it any way you like.

As far as I can tell, Todd isn't even active in the DSM community. Every email I've ever sent him (2) got no reply; as is the story for most. The dsm.org site is falling apart and the talon digest archive search is broken. I'd say unless he contacts you, he wouldn't mind if you did similar work.

GVR-4

quote:Originally posted by mixx2001:
In other words, the way I have it written right now, WHENEVER the clutch is pushed in you have a 5000 rpm limit, whether you're moving or not. So what happens when you push the clutch in at 7k to shift?
The engine "stumbles" until it slows down to 5000 rpm. That means you get to keep your right foot planted on the floor and "power shift." Theoretically. I've never done it on a forced induction car so I don't know if it's possible with the turbo at full song.

dp

Oh cool, I guess. I would have to see that before I'd opt for it. Sounds grindy.

quote:Originally posted by howard:
quote:Originally posted by a_santos:
Is it possible to have it read oil pressure? No.
Not so quick Howard
wink.gif

Is it possible? Yes. Is it easy? No. The only way I can envision it working would be to:
a) install an oil pressure sender (not an idiot light sender like we have now)
b) connect the sender to the EGR temperature sensor connection that is unused in Federal cars
c) I would need to find the memory address where the ECU stores the voltage value for the EGR temp sensor, and scale it down to fit the LED range.
It would be an interesting project, if I had more time.

quote:Originally posted by turbogalant:
Also could you split the display like have the first 3 leds used for knock and the last 3 for mas airflow? No, the LED's all work together as one gauge. I cannot control each LED separately.

Not so quick Howard
wink.gif

Doh. Foot inserted into mouth!

That is a really good idea, if you want to try it out, I already have a VDO oil pressure sender installed. I even have an extra sender to compare results against the gauge readings.

On that note, couldn't you read anything pressure based? Like fuel pressure?

Also, given the known scaling of voltage output from Type-K thermocouples, could you make the stock boost LED's display EGT? Voltage/temperature chart located at the bottom of the page here.

I'm a little hazey here, so bare with me. We're talking about a chip to go in the ecu (for the stutterbox, fuel cut, rev increase, etc.) and Jeff makes a Air/fuel ratio LED gauge do these other different things (knock box, timing, etc.)? So what do we have to do just send Jeff the ecu and a LED gauge or does he send us the stuff to do it? If this has already been answered feel free to start flaming, and I'll start searching.

confused.gif

Keydriver,
So could you do this, I'm gonna be sending you a ecu directly. Can you replace my caps, put a chip in it to raise my rev to 8k, AC cut at 90% throttle, and put a stutterbox on it at 5K? I used to have a B16 Crx with a ZDYNE ecu, something neat about it was, until the car reached operating temp. It wouldn't rev over 4900, vtec engaged at 5k. Could you put something like this on our cars, set at maybe 3500 or 4k. So that we could let our brothers drive our cars and not rem them as soon as they start them? Or would the ecu read a different throttle and dump fuel to it causing, a grenade like backfire?
I'm not the brightest star in the sky, so please tell me why I would like a knock box or anything else? So I wouldn't have to stare at my pocketlogger why I drive???
Marcus

PRAY FOR OUR SOLDIERS

Are these are things that you could do to it now, or things that are still being tested. I may just send my ecu to you and let you put whatever pops in your head and I'll be a test subject. I'll just get me a spare ecu for down time. Sound like fun.
Marcus

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned