The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Check engine light code 12 and 21

I've been resurrecting 398/1000, and when I got the car back from repairing the A/C, and now the check engine light is on with codes 12 (MAF sensor) and 21 (engine collant temp. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

broxma

Not to be an ass but are they plugged in?

Most of the sensors on the block itself including the MAF will throw codes if there is some short to power on the block or head. Positive loose wire hitting the block or a squashed COP wire will do this. The MAS side harness is pretty short and is also where the coolant temp line is at. Pull that harness side off, about 10 plugs maybe, and look over the wiring. I usually retape my harness with friction tape(Hockey tape) which makes it more flexible and if It's wrapped, I know it's good.

/brox

An Ass you are not. They are plugged in, but sometimes the simple answers are the best ones. Your info is what I was looking for. If anyone else has ideas, please let me know. I'll be looking at this tomorrow. (I have a wedding to attend today.) I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks again.

The coolant temp wires are very brittle from years of heat cycling and will break when lightly bumped. Id check those for sure. If you have another working maf, swap it and try. sh*t sometimes does happen at the worst times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned