The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning? Or Something else? Need Help.

Sorry for the Off Topic Post, but recently after driving my Galant I Have been getting Splitting Headaches and Vertigo. I do not know if It is from The exhaust, or if somewhere is Leaking but I Do Not know where for sure it would be comming from. Recently ive Noticed my rear valve cover leaking and there has been significant oil [puddles] on the intake manifold runners and Injector Rail. I do not know if the oil burning is causing these fumes off the manifold. I don't have a leak on the exhaust piping BUT, I do believe I may have a hair line crack on my Manifold prior to Seafoaming ive seen smoke come out the manifold, and on cold startups i would see smoke come out through the manifold. I do not know if this is the cause either. I Drive with my windows down and still no luck, Even my friends feel some of the effects. Does anyone else have any ideas? My car does not have a Cat, but A lot of my friends don't either and i have no problem driving in their cars. My car does Run very Rich.. but doubt that has anything to do with it. Thanks for the help..just trying to drive my vr4 in peace.

Barnes

Wow. If you have noticable symptoms while driving and only while driving, stop driving the car. You probably have a massive exhaust leak. Fix that and you should be good. At a minimum if you HAVE to drive it, put the HVAC controls on recirculate and keep your windows rolled down, waaayyy down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I usually feel it after driving, I dont drive the car more than 15 mins to my destinations, and this car only gets driven rarely...bout once a week.

RedTwo

Sounds more like Carbon Dioxide (C02) poisoning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Wikipedia it.
I gave my self a dose once, probably not the best thing to regularly experience.

bazeng

When I ran my dry ice intercooler setup, the dry ice used to give me headaches.

These days, the exhaust is soo loud I get headaches.
The fuel smell doesn't help either.

14u2nV

Unless your really sensitive to it, are you sure it's from the car? My truck has a massive exhaust leak right under the cab, and always smells like exhaust inside, but I've never had those symptoms from it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I'm getting tired of this, I added a catalytic converter, Replaced Radiator, fixed the oil leak, took it to the shop to test for exhaust leak, nothing.... If i start the car up and stand in front of it with the hood open, within 2to 3 minutes i can feel a migraine coming in. I know its almost impossible for someone to diagnose the car without inspecting it, but do you guys have any ideas, suggestions? I haven't drove my car in a whileeee because of this.

Barnes

The shop said no exhaust leaks? I thought you said you had a crack in your exhaust manifold? You can have a significant leak due to a cracked exhaust manifold.

I thought the manifold had a crack, but when i doubled check the lower bolts on the manifold were lose, I tightened them up, fixed the valve cover leak..no luck... what else should I check? I am ordering all new gaskets for downpipe, turbo to mani, and mani gaskets as we speak

CarRacer

If it's the original exhaust manifold on the car, it's almost guaranteed to be cracked.

Alright guys im going to change the manifold and gasket and see what happens!!!

Barnes

Good. While you are there carefully inspect everything exhaust related.

Yea definitely will do. The harder i drive the car the last time I was driving i noticed the STRONGER the headache. Had to go to the Dr. and found out I had Bronchitis. Anyways, what else on the exhaust i should check out? my cat is welded on and thinking of changing the gasket on my downpipe. BTW my car is running extremely rich wondering if that has to do with anything, but that shouldnt affect me if the fumes are comming out the exhaust that is?

Btw, is it necessary to change the studs on the head for the exhaust mani? and when ordering a turbo to manifold gasket what should i get?

alansupra94

You are out in Queens? I will be around this weekend and I can give you a hand fixing it if you would like. Shoot me a PM.

You shouldn't be driving a car it is running extremely rich as that can cause problems. What modifications do you have done to the car as this will help in diagnosis.

Yes Extremely Rich! With the cat off, Fuel was just shooting out the muffler at idle.
GM MAF
EVOIII Big 16G GT
650cc
264 FP1cams
BRODE FMIC
195Walboro Fuel Pump
Chipped ecu
Greddy Type S b.o.v

I have an S-afc but not installed as yet

alansupra94

Wait....you have a chipped ECU AND a SAFC?

What is the specs on the chip? Do you have a FPR for that larger 195 Walbro Fuel Pump.

I would honestly recommend getting another form of fuel management such as a DSMlink or Ostrich 2.0 setup. Much more straight forward and you can use a MAP and IAT sensor setup.

Last edited:

Barnes

Let's take it step by step before we start throwing other things into the mix. Once he determines if he has an exhaust leak, which I still believe it is, we can move from there. If he has a Keydiver ECU that is correct for his setup, he should be fine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned