The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cam Gears - EVO 4-8 cam gears VS VR4 cam gears

Dialcaliper

The items are the same, but the timing marks on the intake cam will not line up (I believe the Evo is 90 or 180 degrees off, and the gears are off to match). The exhaust cam gear should line up just fine.

However, if you intend to degree the cams in, it won't matter - you can do a rough measurement to get it in the right orientation and then make your own marks with the gear set at zero. Then finish degreeing in the intake cam with the gear.

bazeng

The dowels on the camshaft sits at 12oclock correct?

I've basically lined mine up so that the dowel points up and marked the cam gear on the sides (3oclock and 9oclock) and lined them up to suit.

This should be sufficient correct?

H05TYL

the marks on the vr4 cam gears aren't at exactly 3 and 9 o'clock, I think the 3 is more of a 2.58 (get a straight edge and have a look)

brisvr4

What gears are you using Barry?

bazeng

I bought them from techsport, they are some Aussie brand but look like tomei's. They are designed for a 4-8.

I just lined up the dowel to the stock ones and remarked the cam gear which is 1 tooth off to the left of the original mark. So I just lined up the new zero markings with the stock and new cam gears and marked the side markings. Looks a bit funny when you look it at, but it'll work. I'll punch the new markings in permanantly.

RedTwo

So it has the same number of teeth? No difference but the markings?
Wonder why people make cam gears for Evo 4+ but don't make them for VR4/Evo when all it takes is a change in markings?

brisvr4

I'm using Skunk gears in mine and they have both dowel holes punched in them.
They suit Evo's and VR4's.

brisvr4

It does Barry.
Here is a pic of one of mine. The VR4 dowel hole is the one at the top.

prove_it

Quoting RedTwo:
So it has the same number of teeth? No difference but the markings?
Wonder why people make cam gears for Evo 4+ but don't make them for VR4/Evo when all it takes is a change in markings?

uhhhhhh.... we have the exact same engine as the 90-93 mitsubishi eclipse, eagle talon, and plymouth laser.
I can tell you that almost every major manufacturer makes cam gears for the 4G63T engine.
Just look up an eclipse and use that.

bazeng

Great, it means I haven't stuffed up =)
what did they set you back?
They look pretty good

Last edited:

brisvr4

I got them for $135US back when the Aussie dollar was about 95c US /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
They are a LOT more expensive now I think!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned