The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bug covered car washing solutions

Terry Posten

I made two trips last month (over 5000 miles) in my 2010 Outlander GT. Needless to say, the bugs on the front on the SUV is so thick that after two MAJOR hand washings with "carwash" soap and microfiber mit the paint feels smooth but you can still see the crap on the paint. (and when I mean MAJOR, I mean sitting on a creeper seat for 2 hours scrubbing the paint)

I am temped to use "Bug and Tar" remover but had a bad experience with my white vette a few years back discoloring the paint.

My Outie is dark grey/charcoal metallic so paint discoloration may not be an issue but still...

What would you guys try?

maroonmetallic

Take it through the car wash & wax it, then air dry, air dry that ish.

Seriously though, stop by the local high pressure wash and use the high pressure soap or rinse function.
Make sure to only remove the bugs, not the paint!

The final option would be to lightly wetsand and buff
as "that will buff right out".

-Shawn

toybreaker

iconoclast
Clay Bar

mitsu90

Have you tried a clay bar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I'm a trucker. I see lots of bugs. I mean lots. My rig sees 8,000-10,000 miles a month, and only one wash a month. Take you ride to a truckwash facility. They cost more, but your car will be clean. The pressures are higher on the sprayers, and most of them have an acid wash option. This acid will not harm paint, glass, rubber, chrome. But it will remove the polish from bare aluminum. This means your intercooler. You can request a no acid wash. It works, but use at your own risk.

curtis

Go to the honda motorcycle shop. They have some spray stuff that's like 10 bucks that's made for bugs we use to use it on airplane wings. You spray it on both wings then go back and wipe it off 5 minutes and your done.

mitsuturbo

Take a bottle of Simple Green with you.. go to the carwash. Soak with simple green, then wash the car.

Works great!

I just got back from NM on thursday, the Lex was covered in bugs up front. I just got back from washing it and I used the average turtle wax bug and tar remover and it gets most of the crap off. A power washer helps too. After that is done if you still see remanants then use a clay bar and then follow up with pre-wax cleaner but you must follow up with wax afterwards. Lengthy process but if you want zero traces then clay bar or some mild MILD compund is the only way to eliminate it all.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned