The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Broke my rear passenger axel. Whats my options?

Babayaga

Went racing and broke rear drivers axel. I have a 4 bolt viscous lsd. I found all the DDS axel options just not for the galant. Does anyone know if the talon axels will fit? Or the evo 2 maybe? Thanks.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Didn't the 4 bolt LSD come from a 1G DSM? Always though the axles were the same, but I haven't converted myself.

turbofonz

The rear diff and axles are from a 1g, therefore 1g axles fit.

gvr4ever

I was reading the other day that DSM non AWS steering racks are also compatible. So, the width of the cars seem to be compatible. Most things are. Galant VR4 only bits are drive shaft, exhaust length, fuel tank, and I'm sure a few other things I've forgotten, or never knew about.

I was thinking early DSM drive shafts might have had different spline counts, so if you know what year your LSD rear came from, try and get drive shafts from that year. I'm sure the internet will fine tune results, but I was thinking the 4 bolt came out in 92.5, maybe..

raptorWagon

I was reading the other day that DSM non AWS steering racks are also compatible. So, the width of the cars seem to be compatible. Most things are. Galant VR4 only bits are drive shaft, exhaust length, fuel tank, and I'm sure a few other things I've forgotten, or never knew about.

I was thinking early DSM drive shafts might have had different spline counts, so if you know what year your LSD rear came from, try and get drive shafts from that year. I'm sure the internet will fine tune results, but I was thinking the 4 bolt came out in 92.5, maybe..
4 bolts were 92+ DSMs (1990-92 JDM Evo Spec VR4s), only the front section of the driveshaft is different on a vr4 since obviously longer wheelbase.

The spline count you're probably thinking of, is the tcase, which gvr4s are a mixed bag between some having 22 spline and some having 23 spline vs '90 DSMs were 22 spline and 91+ were 23 spline. Engine harness is shorter on a gvr4 than a dsm.

Just remember Babayaga
1G DSMs are built based on the 6th gen galant chassis, a lot of the mechanical bits swap right over, other items as noted would be car specific as the gvr4 is a sedan after all.

Babayaga

Wow. Never knew the steering rack fit. Great info thanks.

Fourdoor

Did anyone make aftermarket axles for the 1G DSM's that Babayaga could use? If he snapped one axle he can snap another if he puts the power down :) I snapped a 3 bolt axle back in the day, and put in a welded VC on the center diff and drove as a FWD until I could source a 4 bolt diff and axles as a replacement :D

Keith

gvr4ever

https://www.raxles.com/ was the go to, but I don't know if they still make anything for us. I've ordered from RockAuto before and the parts are thicker than stock, but I don't know how they hold up under race conditions.

Babayaga

Did anyone make aftermarket axles for the 1G DSM's that Babayaga could use? If he snapped one axle he can snap another if he puts the power down :) I snapped a 3 bolt axle back in the day, and put in a welded VC on the center diff and drove as a FWD until I could source a 4 bolt diff and axles as a replacement :D

Keith
I've think in gonna need the full DSS treatment. And a new rear end gearset. The stock 4 bolt held up for a long time. But switching to slicks broke EVERTHING. Trans, Tranfer case and an axel.

Fourdoor

I've think in gonna need the full DSS treatment. And a new rear end gearset. The stock 4 bolt held up for a long time. But switching to slicks broke EVERTHING. Trans, Tranfer case and an axel.

Slicks are a game changer.

What power train upgrades are available now a days? I know back in the heyday of DSM's there were some options, for example I realized that I hated life with a welded center diff and I was able to upgrade to a 4 spider center diff, are things like that still available?

Keith

Babayaga

Thankfully lots of upgrades are available. I've made the drivetrain dare I say reliable. Between Boostin and Magnus lots of parts are available. My ppg dogbox transmission was the biggest improvement. Boosting bearing plate helps alot too. Here's my tranfer case output shaft after slicks.

17001667799866863330471562471233.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned