The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brake Options

Lukefraizer

I called you a while back and you had said you had to custom make the set up as well. Not that that is bad. I spent about an hour talking with Wilwood today and after not wanting to help much at the beginning they ended up being super helpful at the end. Figured out they don't make hats at all that will fit. They have a 4-4.5 but not for the 4-114.5. They use 6061 aluminum for the hats so I priced out the metal just get a C&C to build the hats correctly. That is the part that sketches me out. I just hate to see the parts I already have go to waist. That is the reason why I didn't just get the kit from you to begin with. 6 pots in the front and 4 in the rear would be so much better than stock probably over kill. Stupid planning on my part in the beginning I'll admit but I'm now kinda struggling to change it up. Hince just trying to get hats. Are the rotors you make a one piece instead of a 2 piece? That would be a good solution. Since I have been so confused with this whole situation it is quite possible we had a miscommunication over the phone.

Luke

ToddTCE

Forgive me if I don't remember the conversation. The situation remains the same however.

Wilwood: They don't sell hats. Say what?? No, they really don't. Of all the hats in the catalog I'd say 90% or more of them (and nearly all the newer, larger ones) are simple 'line item parts' from one of their kit. There are hats for Corvette kits, Mustang kits, PT cruisers, Hondas and on and on. All you are looking at is the inventory of parts that you'll find are used in a kit somewhere. If you can find something close in there you have a host of options to use it: over bore it, sleeve down the bore, re drill the stud circle, and even mill down the offset. If you have the ability to machine from blank you can surely make any of the above quicker and get a real nice looking part very quickly. But unless you're buying a hundred units they won't make a pair of hats- of course I suppose if one were willing to pay enough...! lol

TCE: I have about eight popular universal hats. OD based upon the rotor diameter desired. All double fit for both 4 and 5 lug. 100-120 or 4.25-4.75ish I believe. All bored to order based upon the kit requirement. A shop like mine could never afford a Wilwood inventory level and this multi use formula serves me well and in turn keeps kit costs down also. The 12 bolt hats are also vented and pillar mount making for an air channel under the hat/rotor interface. (like the Wilwoods, Stoptechs and others so they pretty damn nice parts) The smaller ones are flush fit. I also have a misc assortment of more specialized hats for dedicated fit; Lightning, MINI as well as some odd ball big stuff under 1/8" of dust.

The question of offset and such still comes down to "what do you want or need", not what's on the shelf. Perhaps somewhere in the middle is a compromise. To establish the required offset you need to know:

Width of the rotor- how wide?
Caliper mount offset- rotor centerline to mount plane or stud centerline
Maximum total height the assembly can allow- how deep can it be packaged without hitting something?
Offset of hub to mount ears- bare hub to cast iron ears is all you have to work within.
Required caliper mounting form for clearance needs- lug or radial mount and the diameter of the rotor or your hardware/brkt will contact the rotor.

Factoring all that info you can them make and educated guess (or cad diagram) of what will work and machine your hat to simply "connect the dots". Or you buy something close and fudge around some of the variables above to make it fit. (less total height moving things outward for example but compromising spoke clearance)

Seeing you have not sparked my mind on what you are truly trying to do...my replay could well be the same; I may not have a hat 'deep' enough to meet your desired spec. In which case someone is going to make them for you. To be candid; I'm not really interested either as I know you won't like the price I'd quote you. I'm confident that there are some shops or your own who can and would be happy to do so. If you can finish them up for say $150ea I'd say you have a winner. All depends on how complex the design and amount of material being worked.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned